PDA

View Full Version : Getting hired as a woman

rebekkadg
10-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Ok I have seen on and off people talking about going to work as a woman. I am vaguely curious about how they get started at this even though it is well beyond anything I could possibly pull off at this time. How do you go through the application and interview process? I am assuming once you are hired there is no problem, but the whole getting hired is the part I am not sure on how it happens. I just don't know how you can go through the process of getting hired without giving yourself away to your employer when you have to give your personal information for tax purposes.

Anyone out there who actually goes to work everyday as a woman want to give any tips about how to go about doing this? It is likely much easier than I think but I am still very curious about it.

Kate Simmons
10-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Hard to say but I'm guessing that unless you've had transition surgery and are "officially" the other gender and have had a legal name change, there is no way you cannot "blow your cover" without potential legal problems. Unless, of course you get a job that pays under the table with no questions asked.:)

Paula_56
10-14-2011, 06:23 AM
About 8 years ago I was laid off from my high tech job. I was very closeted at the time. While visiting my local TG shoppe I told the owner I was out of worked. He offered me a job in the shop packing mail-orders. What a lost ooportunity!!!!!

noeleena
10-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Hi,

For N Z

Your Tax number wont change wether your male or female just your name when you tell them ,

Im allso a builder of 46 years worked in many different places & wether i dressed as male or female would have not been a issue , I allso worked for my self , self employed & same again no difference ,& had others work for me, i have worked with many people & have many contacts who know me ,firms i deal with who all know ,

our daughter allso has worked for me & even to day i could get work its about your background & your experance that counts not the clothes ,as you wear whats appropreate for the job , go on to any building sites my cothes are the same shorts a top my pinny & boots & a hat, hard hat if needed, & i have been offered & asked to work for people only two weeks ago.

For me its who you are & can you work with in the trade you'v been trained to do , not wether all my clothes are womans as they are . its about the person.
Giveing your self away...did not apply to myself because i told every one, so just means im very well known. i dont see a problem or did,

Im a woman . female, allways have been just perceved as male thats all , well was,

If you have to hide your background then people will think what else are you hideing . sorry , im a all out open person nothing about my self is hidden all my background is there for any one to read & see, im different & people accept that,

You are about half my age so you should not have a proplem with finding work tho that may depend on what you can do,

If i had to do an interview iv only ever done two , i just walked in to the place i wonted to work told them what i could do & go from there. never wrote any thing down. just talked to the who ever was hireing .

Tho a little different i did have an interview for being a paramedic & even then just told them my back ground . that was about 4 months ago.

Why are you afraid of telling others who you are. im a masculine looking woman if people dont like how i look , then tough if one can not be accepted as we are, then move on ,

im accepted based on who i am as a person not my bloody looks im not a girle girl. im long passed that. put blocks in front of your self then accept to fail. be who you are & go for it,

you know what the biggest detail is not accepting your self for who you are, work through that then youll find others will accept you as a person ,

i have & im accepted,

...noeleena...

jillleanne
10-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Women that go to work everyday as a woman, go home everyday as a woman, they go shopping, dining, exercising, wake up and go to sleep as a woman every day of their lives. They do not try to fool or hide the fact from anyone at anytime. They live as women 24/7 all their lives. What's to 'pulloff ?'

Karren H
10-14-2011, 07:44 AM
I know some post op's but that's probably not what your asking? You mean crossdressers that work enfemme? Personally I couldn't stand the cut in pay to go work as a woman....

Ps... Just kidding!

Sarasometimes
10-14-2011, 08:00 AM
A crossdresser who can not be read during the pre employment process (Not including the ID part) has her act totally together. the voice and manners down pat. Otherwise you will be just revealing the obvious although personal details of who you are. Clearly to work as a woman you need to be totally out of the closet and not concerned about who may find this out. I would think some hair salons and fashion related employers may be slightly more interested in a CD which would infer a liberal way of doing business. Please don't mis read this.

Michelle.M
10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Well, I am preop and will start my RLE in a few months, but I am in job transition now. I had my first job interview a week and a half ago. I sent in my resume, arranged for the interview, and on the day of the meeting I put on a smart business suit and heels and conducted myself quite well, if I do say so myself. I presented myself as exactly what I expect them to hire me as - a confident, poised professional woman with the skills and experience they need, and that's exactly how the interviewer treated me.

I was given no reason to think that the interviewer concluded that I was anything else.

t-girlxsophie
10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Personally I think it impossible for a Crossdresser to "pull it off" If you manage to get through the interview,something will give you away.Different of course if your TS.

Sophie

Shelly Preston
10-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I would say its not impossible but it is extremely difficult to get a job

Someone working with our community in a support role may get hired and not have worry about being dressed or not

I think you will always get found out when they ask for references or tax details etc

Nigella
10-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I did it. It was as simple as applying for a job like any other time. At the time I applied I still considered myself a cross dresser, 24/7 dressed, but a crossdresser non the less.

I applied as my male self, not hiding the fact I was male, at the interview I informed them of my status and the only question I was asked was "Do you intend to attend work dressed".

I was hired and over the past 4 years in employment with my current employer I have come to realise I am TS and my employer has supported me in each and every step.

Paula Siemen
10-15-2011, 10:28 AM
I think most major cities now have non-descrimination policies for Race, religion, ethnicity, Sexual identity, GLBT or most anything else. That being said, it would be very difficult and probably expensive to file suit against a company whith whom you have applied for employment. I haven't done this, but I have considered applying to some department stores, boutiques, resturants, etc. for work enfemme. If I were seriously interested in this, I would get dressed very nicely in fem and go fill out any required employment applications. If invited to interview (they would probably just do this for the fun of it) go in totally enfemm, aknowledge that you are a cross dresser and intend to present as female at work. This would put the monkey on their back as to whether to hire you or not and potentially put them up for a descrimination suit. Or they could just blow off your application like you never made it. Nothing ventured...nothing lost.

Then should you get the gig, realise.....You've got to get up, put on makeup and do the femme thing all day, everyday for your full shift.......might not really be what you want.