PDA

View Full Version : Clinique counter!

Andrea's Lynne
10-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I've been lurking here for sometime know and want to say thank you to all who make this forum possible. Just seeing the number of members and seeing how you deal with this aspect of your lives has made me feel "not so alone." In fact I know see my crossdressing as a gift which I would not want to trade.

Because we're near that time of year when many men "crossdress" for Halloween, I thought I'd pluck up some courage. I drove to the local mall and walked into the cosmetics section. I must admit I did a "walk past" once....because there were many ladies seeking help and only two women working the counter.

When I returned 10 minutes later, I walked up to the available woman and asked her if she could select the right color foundation for my skin. Somewhat to my surprise, she smiled and said, "Sure!" She pulled several samples and tested them on my face.....while she was doing it, she told me not to be nervous, that other men come in for makeup too!

She found the right shade, rang up the sale, and gave me the free gift with purchase (2 lipsticks, eyeshadows, makeup remover, and some firming cream...all in a makeup bag).

When I walked into the mall my heart was beating pretty fast. When I walked out, I felt on top of the world. The lady at the counter made my day!:D

Now to practice doing my makeup!:p

Lynne

tifftg
10-16-2005, 06:31 PM
What a wonderful story, yes this is clinique bonus time. As you saw the cosmetics ladies want to make sales and they won't point or laugh at you. There are more and more of us who like to purchase makeup and getting repeat customers (which I suspect you will be now) is very smart for this sales lady. I hope you keep track of her name. I occassionaly by some Clinique, although I am a big MAC fan, they are also very helpful to CD's and if you like they will keep track of your purchases (under your femme name) to help with future color coordination.

knelson
10-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Way to go girl! I have to say that Clinque is the only makeup I wear. I did the samething several years back. One of the girls at the counter specialized in doing makeup for brides to be on their special day. I asked how much it would cost for her to come to the house and do mine. To my surprise, it was very reasonable. She actually decided on my colors, foundation and everything else all for around $75. I now have a card at the counter and get all those wonderful special discounts for being on their mailing list

uknowhoo
10-16-2005, 08:20 PM
It's so heartwarming to (repeatedly) hear how this forum has made such substantial, positive impacts on members' lives (mine included). Thanks for sharing your story, Lynne. Btw, that sounds like quite a bonus. I've never tried the make-up counter thing, but I might just have to check it out myself now. Hugs, Tammi

Lauren_T
10-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Congats, Lynne! Great feeling, innit?? Just walk up there and DO it, by G and J!!
I know now that those department store counters are gonna become a habit for me, albeit an expensive one...

I posted this the other day, in Emmi's 'comfort level in shopping' thread, but I'll still share it here, since it's apropos... ...and also since I don't recollect quite how to link to an individual post within a thread...:o

Mine own little cosmetic adventure...
Monday, dressed in my 'androgyne uniform' of Capris, a semisheer frilly top and strappy 2" wedges (I haven't yet quite had the nerve to carry a bag) I went with my GG friend to Dillard's, and as always, I had to pass by the Chanel counter.
This time, a very sexy, yet non-intimidating type was working the counter by herself, and as she was showing something to a customer on the other side, I gave in to temptation and went up to inspect the lipsticks, as I have heard about how sinfully posh they are, and I already know how fine they look...
Well, as luck would have it, there I am with 2 lipstick testers in my hand, comparing shades, and she comes around the corner to ask "Hi, is there anything in particular you'd like to see?" I had a split second to either (a) replace the testers and bow out with some mumbled variation on 'No, thank you,' or (b) do what I've been wanting to do for a long time - "Yes, I'm just trying to decide between these shades..." "For a gift...?" "No, for me." I was shocked to hear those words come out of my mouth, but she acted like it was an everyday thing.
"OK, well, if you need any help, just let me know." Gawd, this was easy! So I looked at a few more just to be sure, but I came back to my first choice, Aqualumiére in Barbados, a dreamy rose-ish mauve. Ah, the Hell with it! In for a penny, in for $22 + tax! Her customer had moved on so I called her, "Hi, let me pay you for this." "All right, I'll take you around here." As she got the little box and wrapped it, I thought of what an ass I was for putting this off - no one was watching, the - clerk, I guess you'd call her - acted no differently than if I had been a GG... it was as uneventful as buying L'Oréal in Walgreens - just six times as expensive!
I couldn't wait to try it, so I went back out to the car and tried it on - and damn if it wasn't true, it rilly does feel (and of course, look) ab fab! But at this price, I'm not gonna be buying any more until my income has a strong upturn...!

But then again, there is that ultrayummy Dior Addict Plastic Gloss, and I hear tell it's rilly a treat...

Anyway, I've finally broken that barrier, so the next one is, can I muster the courage to hit the Prescriptives counter and find the right foundation? I mean - having my face painted - in public??? Somehow, now, it's not quite as scary!
__________________BTW, that Clinique GWP (gift-with-purchase) thing is also going on here, but it only includes ONE lipstick...:( But Clinique is nice stuff, from all I hear and can tell and that GWP is quite nice, useful items in lovely shades, so I'm gonna go for it.

It just seems that, even though I know more than a little bit about marketing psych, I'm also human - and therefore I respond to it too! Chanel's and Dior's image is of haute purist French beauté couture (sic?) and posh luxury - and I'm always a sucker for that...
But being an androgyne and a scientist, I don't put away my logical side when pursuing femme things, so Prescriptives' marketing philosophy of applying 'scientific precision' to the art of cosmetic selection happens to appeal to me more than the others.

And I'm really not gonna be secure wearing makeup beyond lipcolour and eyeliner until I find the right foundation - so a visit to the Prescriptives counter is my next and most intimidating challenge! :eek: :umbrella: :violin:

TGMarla
10-16-2005, 08:49 PM
That's a great story. Thanks for sharing. Perhaps when I get some $$$ freed up, I'll attempt the same thing. I need all the makeup help I can get. And I have literally NO ONE to help me with that aspect. Props to you, girl! You were courageous, and it paid off!

Joanie
10-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Congats, Lynne! Great feeling, innit?? Just walk up there and DO it, by G and J!!
I know now that those department store counters are gonna become a habit for me, albeit an expensive one...

I posted this the other day, in Emmi's 'comfort level in shopping' thread, but I'll still share it here, since it's apropos... ...and also since I don't recollect quite how to link to an individual post within a thread...:o
BTW, that Clinique GWP (gift-with-purchase) thing is also going on here, but it only includes ONE lipstick...:( But Clinique is nice stuff, from all I hear and can tell and that GWP is quite nice, useful items in lovely shades, so I'm gonna go for it.

It just seems that, even though I know more than a little bit about marketing psych, I'm also human - and therefore I respond to it too! Chanel's and Dior's image is of haute purist French beauté couture (sic?) and posh luxury - and I'm always a sucker for that...
But being an androgyne and a scientist, I don't put away my logical side when pursuing femme things, so Prescriptives' marketing philosophy of applying 'scientific precision' to the art of cosmetic selection happens to appeal to me more than the others.

And I'm really not gonna be secure wearing makeup beyond lipcolour and eyeliner until I find the right foundation - so a visit to the Prescriptives counter is my next and most intimidating challenge! :eek: :umbrella: :violin:

That sounds like you had a great time. I have found it always helpful to call ahead to a counter or store and get the name of one of the women who works there. I had a makeover in August at a Merle Norman in a different state, going to them since they promised me they had a private area where they could do this. Took about an hour, learned alot but still eyeliner gives me a fit!

Another store offered to either come in early or stay late but they were many more miles to drive. In all, the various ones I have talked to on the phone (there were ALOT, it took a number of calls to find just a few with private areas or willing to do the after hours thing) were always very receptive. One in a small town even offered to loan me a "how to" video when I declined coming into the store and sitting front and center to have it done with other customers around. She had never even met me and offered to loan me a video if I promised to return it! See the Merle Norman website for locations of stores.

gennee
10-16-2005, 09:09 PM
That is a great story, Andrea! Make up is next on my list and probably the most difficult aspect of CDing for me. Your courage and persistence has inspired me. Thank you so much. :hugs: :^5:

Gennee:)

Shannon
10-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Oh, I'm so happy for you Lynne. You had so much poise and courage.

Richelle
10-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Lynne,

It is great to hear that you had such a great experience with Clinque. I have also had great experience at Clinque counters in both drab and enfem mode.

One of my favorite "hobbies" is getting help at the cosmetics counters. After a makeover, I always buy something as a curtsies for the help they have given me.

Richelle

Sazzle
10-17-2005, 06:20 AM
Going back to the clinique thing.

I used to work in one of Estee Lauders factories (as a summber job) - as some of you may know Clinique is an Estee Lauder Brand. I didn't manage to stay there long enough to be allowed into the factory shop, I would have been in heaven! Every thing was dirt cheap!