PDA

View Full Version : If anything can go wrong, it will... (open to all)

sanderlay
10-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Murphy's law says... "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Every day all kind of issues come up for me... some little... some big. But I tend to push past them with a smile and treat each one as a learning experience and a teachable moment.

What have been your moments that things went wrong?

One big one for me happened one day as I was driving back home in rural Northern California. My car has a auto locking feature. In other words I can push a button on a remote and lock or unlock it. Well I got out at a gas station to get gas and apparently I unlocked the truck rather than release the gas flap. It's an easy mistake to make. When I went to lock the car to prepay my gas the car just beeped at me. It was telling me of the open trunk, which was a ajar, but I was not paying attention. So I ignored it for the moment and went ahead and prepaid the gas, fueled the car and then got my change.

I then left not remembering I had an open trunk lid till I saw it opening in the rear view mirror a mile down the road. Well I pulled of by the road just north of town. I got out, close the door due to oncoming cars and then closed the trunk. The car then proceeded to follow the last command and lock all the doors. I'm left standing outside the car with my purse inside, the car running and dressed in fem. I have no money except what is in my purse. My phone was of course locked inside as well on my purse. I'm pretty sure I said a bad four letter word.

After considering all my options, and trying all the doors in vain, I proceeded to walk down the road back to town. The sight of my running car fading into the distance was not comforting. As a male I had always had my wallet in my pocket and had a spare key. I had money, credit cards, and the all important AAA card. Now I had nothing with me but my smile and my beautiful feminine clothes. I hoped that my smile would be enough for the moment. I knew an expert could unlock a door I could pay them out of my purse. But what if a thief got to the car, unlocked and drove away with my purse inside. If ever I had hoped some good sprits would watch over my car and myself this was the moment. I worked to calm my fears of the worst possible scenario.

When I reached the northern side of town, about a seven minute walk or so from my car, I entered a rundown auto garage. I saw a mechanic working on a car and told him my situation. He was not fast to react, which made me a bit nervous, but perhaps he perceived that I was being honest. But I got the feeling he had been taken by people before so he was suspicious. He asked a few questions and listened as I answered honestly and truthfully. Never once did he say anything about what I was wearing and treated me with respect.

He grabbed some tools, pointed to his truck and I got in with him. We proceeded up the road to my car taking about two minutes or so. He then skillfully shimmed open the door. I turned off the car and grabbed my purse. I thanked him... paid him generously... and headed up the road.... no worse for wear for my experience.

I learned from the experienced to listen to my car when it complains. Be patient. Roll down a window if the car is running when I get out or turn it off and remove the key before exiting no mater what. Take my purse with me. Certainly can't hurt even if it seems inconvenient at the moment. My current spare key I carry is in my wallet and that is in my purse. So it makes sense. Even if all else fails... nothing works perfectly...

Don't panic! Remain calm. Work the problem. These kinds of situations happen to men and women every day. Just because your cross-dressed is not reason to add to your anxiety. Smile cheerfully to the people you meet and be generous. Always be confident of who you are and what you're wearing.

Kate T
10-16-2011, 06:24 AM
The car then proceeded to follow the last command and lock all the doors.

I know what you mean. And since when did cars need to THINK!!

RachelPortugal
10-16-2011, 06:41 AM

Perhaps, since car manufacturers realised that a large number of drivers seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves.

alice clair
10-16-2011, 06:46 AM
I can relate to that, I drive a tow truck everyday and i have seen people lock their kids dogs invalid folks and ice cream inside their cars and all of them were in a panic. I have yet to see a crossdresser locked out of her car, but if i did i would take extra care of them and not make a big deal of it. The most embarassed person i have seen locked out was a man on the interstate that stopped to pee around 2am on a very cold night and locked himself out, the stste police stopped to help him and called me out to unlock the car, in the meantime the officer was called to another location leaving the man standing there in the cold, he was out there for at least an hour before i got there. He was very grateful to be back in his warm car. At Busch Gardens a family called for an unlock, i arrived and proceded to get out my tools only to discover a passenger window half way down and just reached in and opened the door, they were embarassed too.

Raychel
10-16-2011, 06:47 AM
Being an auto technician, this is one of the first lessons you learn. If the car is running and you are getting out, there better be a window open.

You handled the situation well. I will bet you were scared out of your mind. I am glad it all worked out well.

S. Lisa Smith
10-16-2011, 07:31 AM
I have a hidden key attached to the car (not a hide a key). Makes key problems less critical.

Tina B.
10-16-2011, 07:47 AM
If you are going to hit the road dressed, maybe an extra key sewn into your bra would help! lol
Tina B.

r0adstar
10-16-2011, 07:49 AM
many cars don't lock themselves when they key is in it. is yours an older one?

Stephenie S
10-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah. You have to take the key with you to lock my car.

S

jillleanne
10-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Love the story. Amazing what one can do when no other choices are available. Lesson learned. lol

Toni Citara
10-16-2011, 09:56 AM
In a prior "life" I was a locksmith, and because of doing hundreds of auto lock-outs I started the habit of always leaving my window cracked open to prevent being locked out.

...Roll down a window if the car is running when I get out or turn it off and remove the key before exiting no mater what...

PretzelGirl
10-16-2011, 10:14 AM
That is an awful situation. I think there is a point where a broken window is the better solution. When you consider the long walk and the possibility of your car and purse being stolen, it comes into play. I am glad it all worked out and you are safe.

Sophie86
10-16-2011, 10:27 AM
That is an awful situation. I think there is a point where a broken window is the better solution. When you consider the long walk and the possibility of your car and purse being stolen, it comes into play. I am glad it all worked out and you are safe.

I'm with Sue. I probably would have busted out a window. :)

Kudos to the OP for having the courage to walk back and talk to a mechanic. Glad it worked out well.

Cristi
10-16-2011, 10:29 AM
What a great story! I've never been locked out while dressed and hope that I never will be. One more reason for me to NOT buy cars that do that! I'm 'absent minded' at times and would end up getting locked out weekly.

The biggest worry I have is getting into an accident while in city traffic. Even a small 'bump' that would require me to stop and exchange insurance information would be quite embarrassing while dressed. :(

Even with a car that is all manual locks, I have a routine when out dressed. I do not lock the door and close it unless I have the keys IN MY HAND. Not in my purse, or 'I think they are in my bag'. I must be holding them in the same hand I use to lock the door. This puts me at ease, since I really hate that feeling of 'oh ****' as soon as the locked door swings shut.

I have to rent a car once in a while and they call come with every bell and whistle ever invented. I really dislike the auto-lock feature, especially when I'm so used to doing it manually.

Re: cars that think too much in general.
I still buy the most manual cars I can (for cost and maintenance reasons mostly). I worked in a dealership long enough to see that when a car starts to age all of those electronic doors, locks, motors, etc are expensive to repair... and I like to keep my car for at least 10 years to get my money's worth out of it!

Cynthia Anne
10-16-2011, 11:20 AM
You are truly an amazing girl! A nightmere like that and you handled it like a piece of cake! Hugs!

docrobbysherry
10-16-2011, 01:47 PM
My gosh, you've got the guts of a burglar, Sande! I'd have TRIED to break a window, at least!

I'm getting so preoccupied these days, I'm afraid to buy a new car! I'm worried about all the new "smart" technology. Just the other day, my daughter and I were late arriving at the movie theater parking lot. I switch to my "inside" glasses, then we ran to the entrance!
5 hours later we exit and while walking to the car I search my pockets for the keys. NOT THERE! I tell her I may have lost the car keys! I'm still going thru all my pockets as my daughter opens our car door. I think, " What? I always lock it!" She says, "Here's your keys. They're still in the switch!" OOPS!

CarlaWestin
10-16-2011, 02:20 PM
"Every day all kind of issues come up for me... some little... some big. But I tend to push past them with a smile and treat each one as a learning experience"

This quote is a testament to your calm resolve and maturity. What some people see as stumbling blocks you perceive as daily hurdles. My most recent 'faux pas' during an adventure could have been life terminating. I had a severe fall injury while alone. A 911 moment.

Kittyagain
10-16-2011, 02:40 PM
If you are going to hit the road dressed, maybe an extra key sewn into your bra would help! lol
Tina B.

That would be a boob-key then. For the boob, from the boob.

Good one Tina.

Debbie, great story with a good ending.

Kitty

Chickhe
10-16-2011, 03:18 PM
A really good idea is to keep a spare key somewhere on the car that is hard to find but just easy enough to get if you really need it. If your car is running and you need to make it stop, cover the exhaust pipe with something or ram a potato in it until the engine stalls. ...the other thing, nobody cares how you are dressed, just ask for help and don't do anything too stupid to avoid embarrasement.

Jilmac
10-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I live by Murphy's Law so I tend to think ahead to anything that can possibly go wrong and try to circumvent the situation, but invariably something I didn't plan for will go wrong. That said, I drive an old beater and never lock it figuring some poor sap will steal it and take it off my hands, but as Murphy's Law would apply, no poor sap has come forth yet.

Rachel Morley
10-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Just because your cross-dressed is not reason to add to your anxiety. Gee, it sure would add to my anxiety! Wow, what a nightmare you had! As Scarlet Rose said, it made me scared just reading about it! If a similar situation ever happens to me I'll remember your post and try to act the same way.

AnitaH
10-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Way to go you handled that well. I can't imagine the anxiety I would have felt in that situation. And by the way I once did break a window to get into a running car I locked my keys in and I wasn't even dressed enfemme.

AnitaH

Maria 60
10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I was almost in the same situation yesterday, thank God for keypad entry, and i don't know how you were so calm. I went yesterday to our summer cabin to close it down for the winter. It's a 2 hour drive so i dress on the way there and underdress while i am there. When i finished i was starting to go home and before i go home when ever i leave i always drive by the beach. It was a very windy day yesterday so i wanted to feel the wind blowing threw my skirt. I wasn't fully dressed, no wig or makeup, so thought it wasn't a good idea getting out like that, but there was nobody on the beach and the only worry was the cabins along beach. So of course like a idiot i find a quit spot and open the door, the wind was so strong it blew my skirt up to my waist and when i looked down all i seen was my stay ups and my pink panties. I pulled my skirt down and got out of the car i was wearing a wrap around skirt with a missing button on the inside. When i got out the wind felt so good blowing threw my skirt and the skirt started blowing and the wind was strong it blew my skirt off, my first reaction was to get the skirt so i ran for the skirt and went back to the car and the wind blew the door closed and i must of pushed the power lock button when i ran for the skirt. Lucky i have a keypad entry but not using it so often i couldn't remember the number, i tried two time's and i only had 3 more tries before it was going to go into lock down for 15 minutes. So i stepped back and told myself to relax and i tried to put the skirt around me as i was only with my stayups and pink panties but the other button now broke off the skirt. I tried to hold it up with my hands and tried to stay focused on the keypad. I tried another combination and thank God it worked. I don't know how you were so calm. I was a total disaster, i couldn't think straight, if the keypad would have went into lock down for 15 minutes i would have died. The strange thing is when i drive to the cabin and on quit country roads i step out of my car and i always make sure i open the window when i stop. I don't know way i didn't this time. I can't even start to imagine the state of mind you were in. I am glad it worked out in the end and you didn't get hurt.

Genifer Teal
10-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Glad your situation worked out. Sounds like a scene from adventures in babysitting when they went to the repair shop.

I have a beetle (new type) and they have sensors on everything. This helps keep the smart computer from locking keys in your car. If the door sensor breaks, which is common, a similar situation to yours happens. If you hit the unlock on the key fob but do not open the door, in about 30 sec the car re locks itself. Great if you ar not there or change your mind. The same happens if the door sensor is broken and the car does not know you opened it. Not so great. I've read a few stories where this caught peoeple off guard and locked things in the car aong with the keys.

Gen

r0adstar
10-16-2011, 10:14 PM
...Lucky i have a keypad entry but not using it so often i couldn't remember the number, i tried two time's and i only had 3 more tries before it was going to go into lock down for 15 minutes.

Do you own a Ford or Lincoln? Why doesn't everyone have this?

KellyJameson
10-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Impressive self control, I would have hit the panic button for sure and broke a window. The mechanic showed class taking it all in stride. Did he keep his eyes on the road when driving you to your car? At the very least I suspect you broke up the monotony of his work day. Great Story!

SarahLynn
10-16-2011, 10:50 PM
I live by Murphy's Law so I tend to think ahead to anything that can possibly go wrong and try to circumvent the situation, but invariably something I didn't plan for will go wrong. That said, I drive an old beater and never lock it figuring some poor sap will steal it and take it off my hands, but as Murphy's Law would apply, no poor sap has come forth yet.

I go so far as to leave the keys in the ignition and still the poor sap has not come forth to steal my car. Things are getting so desprate I may start leaving the engine running.

SarahLynn

Stephanie47
10-17-2011, 12:09 PM
It appears I was fortunate when my car was totaled in a hit and run, and, I had to buy a new car just when the new model years were hitting the lot. I could only get an automatic transmission with no power door locks, windows, seats, etc. Before going for a drive I always wear my key ring with car keys and house keys around my neck and hidden in my bra. My daughter has locked herself out of a car twice- duh! I also carry a change of clothing. And, before hitting the road I make sue I have a full tank of gasoline, and, check all lights and turn signals. I really do not need any encounters. A woman really has to be careful at night.

EllieOPKS
10-17-2011, 01:57 PM
been there and done that. Fortunately, I keep a spare key hidden on my truck. You are one brave cookie to walk into town and ask for help. Worst case for me, I would have to replace a window.

sanderlay
10-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Thank you for everyone who responded and complements on my bravery. Living alone in a rural forest with lots of other animals living here has helped thicken my skin... so to speak. I know not to run through the forest... as the mountain lion might think me prey. But I have found humans to be the scariest.

But wearing feminine attire in public was rather intimidating at first. But I'm not alone. Many GG's wear feminine clothing... so I have nothing to fear. I'm in good company. But...I must be smart what I go out wearing. And bring backup clothing in case the car breaks down... or what ever emergency might arise. Practical clothing is always a good idea... and it can be feminine. Good walking shoes, a warm coat and warm leggings. I do have spare pants as well.

S. Lisa Smith wrote:
I have a hidden key attached to the car (not a hide a key). Makes key problems less critical.

Great idea! This is now on my to do list.

Tina B. wrote:

Hummm... a special bra key. Interesting idea. But I have so many bras. What if I'm wearing a bra without the key?

Chickhe wrote:
A really good idea is to keep a spare key somewhere on the car that is hard to find but just easy enough to get if you really need it. If your car is running and you need to make it stop, cover the exhaust pipe with something or ram a potato in it until the engine stalls. ...the other thing, nobody cares how you are dressed, just ask for help and don't do anything too stupid to avoid embarrasement.

Good idea about the potato. I'll keep that one in mind.

Adina wrote:

r0adstar wrote:
many cars don't lock themselves when they key is in it. is yours an older one?

It's a 2000 Saturn which I bought new. But it has one of those computers in it to control various motor functions. I suppose it might control the door locks... but I'm not sure. But most programs on a computer like to complete a command or event. I'm guessing that's what happened when I closed the trunk. Not a smart move... at least for me. But... in science fiction... the computer always seems to think and never to the advantage of the owner.

Sue wrote:

I did think about this... and I guess I was just not that desperate yet. Breaking a window seemed like a radial move to me. It was not that long a walk for me. But if I did... and the alarm went off... and the neighbors called the police... and I ended up in jail for breaking and entering... WOW. That would have been a real nightmare.

KellyJameson wrote:
Impressive self control, I would have hit the panic button for sure and broke a window. The mechanic showed class taking it all in stride. Did he keep his eyes on the road when driving you to your car? At the very least I suspect you broke up the monotony of his work day. Great Story!

Yes... the mechanic was a gentlemen.

Maria 60 wrote:
I was almost in the same situation yesterday, thank God for keypad entry, and i don't know how you were so calm. I went yesterday to our summer cabin... more (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?161895-If-anything-can-go-wrong-it-will...-(open-to-all)&p=2628002&viewfull=1#post2628002)

Thanks for your story and your complements. I'm glad you it all worked out for you. And most important... you had another chance to wear what helps you feel happy. Life is certainly an adventure... and you had one.

Cristi wrote:
I still buy the most manual cars I can (for cost and maintenance reasons mostly). I worked in a dealership long enough to see that when a car starts to age all of those electronic doors, locks, motors, etc are expensive to repair... and I like to keep my car for at least 10 years to get my money's worth out of it!

The car has reached that stage in life that things start to break or malfunction. But with only 70k original miles, and I'm the original owner, I'm going to run the wheels off. I don't see anything out there I like at the moment. And it gets an average 35MPG. But I do like the gadgets. And I do know how to do some of my own repairs. I'm trying to find a factory manual at the moment.