PDA

View Full Version : buying makeup

Sally2005
10-17-2005, 12:51 AM
What to do when you are in the makeup isle in guy mode and the staff very loudly says "can I help you?". This happened to me twice at shopper's drug mart and I said "no, thanks anyways" and they stood there watching. You never see that happening to a genetic girl... maybe if I was bold enough I could start asking them all kinds of questions, but I'm not that social. Any other ideas on avoiding a scene?

Sophie_A
10-17-2005, 12:54 AM
Either buy multi type items on online as this avoids going in the store in the first place. Or take a good gg friend with you, who knows you dress. If you are going shopping on your own, try to look relaxed, if you look to nervous and worried they are bound to think you are upto no good. I shopped in boots the other day for makeup and they cannot be more helpful.

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-17-2005, 01:57 AM
As Sophie said, since you're "out of place" in the make-up section, they're going to be suspicious that you might be shoplifting, especially if you're nervous.

If you know what you're looking for, make a shopping list and take it with you. If you need plausible deniability, there's any number of stories you can make up -- my favorite was that someone's SO had her luggage lost by the airlines and he was being a good husband/boyfriend and helping her re-stock.

Alternatively, next time they ask, tell them you're picking up something for your SO but you forgot the brand and could they help you. You can act the part of the bashful, but well-intentioned SO.

Or you could just say you're looking for yourself and could they provide assistance.

Colleen Boucher
10-17-2005, 02:23 AM
What to do when you are in the makeup isle in guy mode and the staff very loudly says "can I help you?". This happened to me twice at shopper's drug mart and I said "no, thanks anyways" and they stood there watching. You never see that happening to a genetic girl... maybe if I was bold enough I could start asking them all kinds of questions, but I'm not that social. Any other ideas on avoiding a scene?
Hi Sally,

I just go and buy it..same as stcokings, whatever...what gets me is when I'm in boymode...the cash register girl says' "Do you want a bag?" they can see I don't have one. Give me a break!!! I'm sure thay do it on purpose and it bugs me!!! Do they say that to GG's, do they want me to walk through the mall with 3 pairs of stockings and various make up items under my wing, so I can run into someone I know who asks, "What are you doing with all of that girl stuff.

As a guy, I'm a guy...but as a girl, I'm a girl... I don't tell people I know about Colleen, but on the other hand..if I run into people I know as Colleen..they don't know who I am as a boy. I keep the two personas separate.

Cheers

Colleen

Joanie
10-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Call ahead to the store and ask to speak to someone in the cosmetics area and start out asking something like "Do you every help guys buy make up for themselves? or something like that. 99% of the time they will be very helpful, you can break the ice and get their name. It took me a lot of calls to realize that they really are comfortable with these requests, have heard them before (unless they are new), I try to fight my shyness and come across as bright and cheerful and usually they are very helpful. Most of the women I have dealt with don't mind and it is great to be helped when they know I am honest with them and it isnt' the wife I am buying for.

Katrina
10-17-2005, 08:48 PM
It took me a while to be comfortable in the makeup aisle. I still get the jitters sometimes if it is busy. The key is not to look nervous since they will think you are stealing stuff - makeup is a relatively expensive small item. I think when I decided that I didn't care what people thought, things got much easier. Just last week, I picked up a pair of women's loafers and tried them on when I was in the same aisle about 4 feet away from another shopper. She looked over but it was the same look she would have given a woman who was buying a cute pair of shoes.

NikkiT
10-17-2005, 08:57 PM
I bought my foundation at Shopper's Drug Mart (coverFX), and was trying to be discreet about it. When I pointed the stuff out and asked what shade would be best for my skin, they ushered me over to a chair, sat me down, and started putting the stuff on me right in full view of everyone in the store! The clerk admitted she was having a hard time finding the right color, as my face gradually turned a firery red.

The foundation is great though, was well worth the minor humiliation I endured.

Andrea's Lynne
10-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Well done Betty!

Most of the time I think the anxiety we feel is entirely of our own creation. Most sales ladies are more than happy to help out.....I think some even feel "nurturing" toward us as new to "womanhood":o

Lynne

susandrea
10-17-2005, 09:42 PM
I think you're slightly wrong when you say it "never happens to GGs".

I ALWAYS get asked if I need help when looking at make-up, whether I'm in a drug store (during the day) or at the mall. Decent drug stores in busy places (like the one I go to) often have a full time consultant around during the day and they are there to help. And they stick around.

Even at a place like Target I often get asked if I need help.

The only place I don't is at the supermarket or a very small drug store, or that awful place called WALLMART! (Try never to go there).

Don't be afraid to take them up on their offer. They often have good suggestions, can lead you to bargins, and sometimes give you samples and coupons.

If they start to give you an attitude you can always complain to the manager. Usually just asking for the manager will bring about an improvement..

In this kind of situation, I think it's better FOR YOU to give people the benefit of as doubt first, then stand up for yourself if you're treated with disrespect. I know there are areas of the country that make it very difficult, maybe impossible, though, but it's worth trying.

If you can, go to the mall. The ladies there are usually very nice and work on commision. It's in their best interest to be decent, and if one is a jerk there are usually a half dozen more to choose from.:)