PDA

View Full Version : which fitting room to use

litlejohn
10-17-2011, 10:43 AM
I've shopped at a few local stores in drab and when i make a selection to try on i carry them over to the mens fitting room. trying to time it when noone is around them. The day i bought my first underbust corset, thier happened to be a macy's down the street, awesome right.
I went for it, found a couple $40 ish priced dresses, no mens fitting rooms i could find.(first time in a macy's) i decided to go into the ones in the womens area( they have alot of them). When i started to go in i notice the sign for survalence cameras in fitting rooms by same sex attendants.
I believe in the do know harm to someone else and didn't want to make the viewer see me changing.I put the clothes back and left without trying them on.
would it of been inappropreaite to of went in?

Karren H
10-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I use which ever one I'm dressed as.... So as to not alienate other shoppers... Last thing I want to do is drive away customers from the stores I love to shop at.

Kind of why I only shop enfemme at stores where the male and female fitting rooms are not on the same floor.

Ann Thomas
10-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Wow, that's a challenging question. I usually go to the women's fitting rooms in most stores, but I go dressed en femme to begin with. Maybe you should call the store and ask them. They're interested in making sales, so to hear you put back your purchases and left empty handed will make them be creative about finding ways to accommodate you.

Stephanie-L
10-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Macy's is one of the few places where I have been denied the use of a fitting room while trying women's clothes in drab. I think they have a more conservative corporate culture. At other places the worst that has happened is that I was asked to wait while the SA checked to see that the area was clear, or they let me use the SA restroom instead. Usually I have no problem, sometimes the SA comes in and checks on me like any other customer. In one case at Ross I was in drab except for wearing my breast forms to more accurately judge the fit of clothes, I had 3 tops, and went to the desk to get a room assignment, the SA there sent me to the women's side, again, no problems. So, yes, I do think you did the right thing, because they are the one place where you MIGHT have had a problem, also you did the right thing, they lost a sale because of it. The only thing more you could have done is talk to a SA and asked, then let them know why you won't be spending your money there if they say no. Keep shopping...........Stephanie

Joanna41
10-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Be smart...use the dressing room for how you walk into the store. In drab use the men's...enfemme use the ladies.

Joanna

Jodi
10-17-2011, 07:51 PM
I shop in drab 99% of the time. I do most all of my shopping in women's clothinng stores so there are only women's dressing rooms available. I always try on before buying. I select an article or articles and ask the SA if I may try these on. She will set me right up in a fitting room. Many times I have had the SA ask if I wished to try them on.

I have never had a problem.

Jodi

LolaDD
10-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I recently went shopping with my wife at Coldwater Creek and she helped me pick out a nice dress, skirt and blouse. She just said she wanted my opinion in the dressing room and took me in with her. I tried on several outfits and bought and had a great time. Lola

Jessica S
10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree with Jodi. Just ask the SA. I was dressed in my men's clothes at Macy's and asked if I could and where I could try on a dress. The SA took to the nearest changing room in the Women's section.

Cynthia Anne
10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
I always use the ladies, but I never drab!

HottyHeather
10-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I always shopped in Femme mode and bought my outfits back home to try on . Well I figured if I didnt like I could always return them and do some more shopping. But if you are out shopping as a lady then use the womens dress rooms , I always use the ladies restrooms when I go out in Femme mode.

Diane Smith
10-17-2011, 09:15 PM
I prefer not to shop at places that have fitting rooms for men. Problem solved.

- Diane

Jilmac
10-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Since coming out to the world I tend to shop en femme so when I'm at a store with gender specific dressing rooms I will use the one for whichever gender I'm presenting. Most of the thrift shops have unisex dressing rooms so it really doesn't matter how I'm dressed or which room I use.

I usually shop for my panties, bras and lingerie at Penney's, Kohl's, TJ Maxx, or Marshalls and always use the womens dressing room at those stores, but I can find the best bargains on dresses, skirts, and tops at Goodwill or other thrift shops. Dressing rooms have never been a problem for me.

Intertwined
10-17-2011, 10:59 PM
1st choice of fitting room? . . The Empty one...

Otherwise, I always use the men's fitting room, my reason is I never dress to pass as a female, I am obviously a MAN in a skirt and heels carrying a purse.

IF there is an attendant at the dressing room, I ask if they mind if try on (what ever it is), they have always said "go right ahead"

Launa
10-18-2011, 06:52 AM
I was shopping last weekend at an all womens consignment store, dressed in drab and I just took the first room that was there. Nobody was around and I never thought to ask. Would anybody know if there are any laws regarding this? I figure if it says women only then that would be another thing and I wouldn't want to challenge something like this at this point in my life.

jillleanne
10-19-2011, 12:13 PM
I do the same as any man or woman would do, use the appropriate one for that gender. If in drab, use the male one; if en femme, use the ladies. Why try to upset the applecart?

JanetK
10-19-2011, 12:30 PM
If you are in drab, use the mens fitting room, if fully dressed, use the ladies fitting room. If a mens is not available, follow the instructions others have mentioned. As long as you are not peeping over stalls or trying to catch glimpses of the GGs, you will not be bothered.

SusanQ
10-20-2011, 04:54 AM
I only underdress. I've gone to Lane Bryant, Roamans and The Avenue to shop for lingerie and nylons, and have never been refused by the sales associate to go to a fitting room.

They know I'm a man, and they don't care if I want to try on panties or girdles...they only care that my money is good :)

I've even had SA's ask me if I needed any pantyhose, since they were on sale.

marlaNYC
10-20-2011, 05:09 AM
the majority of stores i shop in only have changing rooms - that is, all lumped together and not gender specific. so that problem of which to choose is pretty quickly removed! Gap and Express are by far my favorite, and i always check with the staff that it's ok before i go dashing in...

litlejohn
10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Thank you all for the tips. It seems the problem was one i made, I should of summed up the nerve to ask a SA. I hope to become more comfortable with myself and in the future not stand in my own way.

Leslie Langford
10-20-2011, 01:14 PM
I've shopped at a few local stores in drab and when i make a selection to try on i carry them over to the mens fitting room. trying to time it when noone is around them. The day i bought my first underbust corset, thier happened to be a macy's down the street, awesome right.
I went for it, found a couple $40 ish priced dresses, no mens fitting rooms i could find.(first time in a macy's) i decided to go into the ones in the womens area( they have alot of them). When i started to go in i notice the sign for survalence cameras in fitting rooms by same sex attendants.
I believe in the do know harm to someone else and didn't want to make the viewer see me changing.I put the clothes back and left without trying them on.
would it of been inappropreaite to of went in?

I wouldn't worry too much about the surveillance cameras - they are likely only trained on the common area of the fitting rooms and are there to intercept shoplifters, not well-behaved crossdressers. Besides, most are not monitored "real time'" by security personnel - what a boring channel to watch that would be! Mostly, they just roll on and on, and their main usefulness comes from the archiving of the footage in the event that evidence is needed to make criminal charges stick. Besides, having such cameras trained on the individual fitting rooms would constitute an invasion of privacy, and most jurisdictions have very strict laws in place to prevent such a thing. And even if a store did knowingly flaunt such a law, if they were caught in the act, there would be h%ll to pay - not only from a P.R. standpoint; they would also be liable to a mega $ lawsuit, and that in itself would be a major deterrent.

Kittyagain
10-20-2011, 04:12 PM
I am still shocked a fitting area had cameras. I have never seen that before.

Kitty