PDA

View Full Version : A crossdresser's rule

Elizabeth Ann
10-17-2011, 01:50 PM
"My philosophy is that if you know why you do it, then you're not really a crossdresser. "

This stunningly elegant proposition, voiced in a recent thread, stopped me in my tracks. It is an ingenious, brutal, and yet porous filter.

It elevates crossdressing to a special status, even more fundamental that common bodily functions (which you do for a reason, after all.) The mere act of crossdressing is not enough to make you a crossdresser. If you do it for sexual, escapist, or stress relieving reasons, then you are not a crossdresser, because it must be an end in itself, it cannot be a means to some other end. The urge must come from beyond cognition, from some unknown hormonal, physiological, or chemical motivation.

It is easy to see the attraction of such a draconian rule. It removes all responsibility from the "true" crossdresser. She is not selfishly seeking pleasure or satisfaction (though she is free to enjoy it). It is completely beyond her control. The cost of this relief? Unfortunately, anyone who confesses to a reason to dress. Brutal, indeed, and best not to think too much about some of the other behaviors in this class, including addictions and obsessive compulsive disorders.

But this strictest of all crossdressing criteria has an extremely unfortunate loophole. You can get back into the crossdressers club simply by embracing ignorance. (Please note: ignorance is the lack of knowledge. It does not mean stupid.) All you have to do is not think too much about why you do it. Just relax and enjoy it, oh and by the way, an innate behavior like this is there forever, so why fight it?

By this rule, I am not a crossdresser, but my own exclusion is not what alarms me. While I think many here will reject the proposition in such an explicit formulation, I have the uneasy feeling that many of us nevertheless do take comfort and refuge in a certain willful ignorance of our motivations. I know that many will respond with the usual "don't worry, be happy" message, but I believe that we have much to gain from a clear eyed, dispassionate look at our own behaviors.

This is not to say that crossdressing is not a powerful, even overwhelming, influence on some of us. It certainly is, but that is all the more reason to make the effort to better understand our motivations. Even if you are happy with your life, understanding the reward we derive from crossdressing can give us insights into our own psyche that give us greater power and control of ourselves. Yes, it makes us complicit in our behaviors, but it also moves us further toward becoming rational, thoughtful individuals. It is worth the cost.

In my own case, better understanding the needs pushing me on occasion toward the pink fog allows me to stay on a more even keel. I don't understand everything, but some introspection has improved the dialogue with my wife. I am not suggesting that you can understand it and "cure" it. I am suggesting that a better understanding can give you more control or greater satisfaction with your life.

Liz

Karren H
10-17-2011, 01:58 PM
I fit that rule since I really have no clue as to why... And I don't care why. It is what it is.... My crossdressers rule is "there are no rules". Lol.

Diana Bain
10-17-2011, 02:25 PM
This is not to say that crossdressing is not a powerful, even overwhelming, influence on some of us. It certainly is, but that is all the more reason to make the effort to better understand our motivations. Even if you are happy with your life, understanding the reward we derive from crossdressing can give us insights into our own psyche that give us greater power and control of ourselves. Yes, it makes us complicit in our behaviors, but it also moves us further toward becoming rational, thoughtful individuals.

Agreed! May'be "crossdresser" is the wrong word. There is a part of us who are women, therefore we are! Why...no clue...but I am a better person!

MackenzieMarigold
10-17-2011, 02:30 PM
I dress up because it makes me feel good. I like feeling pretty. I do associate far more with the female gender but I don't need that to dress up. It's just really fun and feels really good to do. That's how I see it anyway, it's different for different people. I think that's what makes it fun, there are so many reasons for it.

Kate Simmons
10-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I guess another way to say it is:"Ignorance is bliss." That's pretty much what the ostrich said before he stuck his head in the sand and got smashed by a steam roller.:heehee:

Sheren Kelly
10-17-2011, 02:43 PM
An interesting thread.
I have done my share of headwork, digging into my past and trying to draw connections to understand this part of me. Knowing how I came to this point has made self aceptance (and peace) attainable. I also realize how unique we each are and that what seems to explain my path, does not imply others share the same path (no unified theory on crossdressing). In the end we need to be happy with our lives. For me, this means knowing the why to all of those question that plague us.

Stephanie47
10-17-2011, 02:51 PM
"My philosophy is that if you know why you do it, then you're not really a crossdresser.

I don't not believe any cross dresser knows why he wants to don women's clothing. In my mind there is a big distinction between a fetish such as wearing women's panties or wearing stockings and heels and nothing more. This morning after dropping my wife off at work I came home and immediately dressed en femme- totally with the exception of make up. I've been doing the household chores this morning- changing the bed linens, washing and drying and folding clothes. I did not think at all about should I dress en femme today? I just did it. It is not a fetish. I do not get some kick out of it. It is not sexually motivated.

Yes, I get some inner peace and tranquility from it. It is calming. That is the side benefit of cross dressing. Before I retired, when I came home from work, I ended up in cut off shorts, barefooted and wearing a tee shirt. It did not matter if it was July or January.

I think society has demanded some sort of reason why I deviate from the customary norm. So, I tell you (because I do not discuss my cross dressing with anyone else) what I feel when en femme. I can explain why I toss of my business attire and look like a slob, but, not the cross dressing.

My belief is a cross dresser is blessed with a dual inner personality. I am complete. I would feel just as comfortable being a woman as I am a man. Just sometimes I feel like being a woman, but, I just can't detach my genitals to complete the inner desires. Now I endured the entire summer, three months, of being a man- a slob for three months and enjoyed it immensely. I did not have an uncontrollable urge to be en femme. That being said, my wife is taking an eight day trip to the east. I will enjoy my time en femme 24/7 unless a family member comes calling. I will be en femme because Stephanie will be pushing Steve aside for a week.

I am not a cross dresser. When I feel the need to let the woman within out, I dress as a woman. When I feel the need to let the man within out, then I dress as a man. When I feel like a woman, I do not cross dress as a man. When I feel like a man, I do not cross dress as a woman.

Stephanie and Steve are co-existing nicely.

LilSissyStevie
10-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Why is a moving target. The reason I did it when I was 5 ("I want to be a girl") is not the same reason I did it when I was 15 ("I want to be a girl sexually") or now ("I just want to be girly") and various combinations thereof. What ties it all together? I don't know and I'm not sure it can be known. I'm compelled to want to know but I wish I wasn't.

Marie-Elise
10-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Never thought of it that way but I can see your point. At least in my case. I don't know why I want to wear women's clothing. I just do. It's coming up on one year since I admitted that to myself and my wife.

ArleneRaquel
10-17-2011, 03:30 PM
From a young age, 8 or so, I have always wanted to live my adult life as a female. Why I don't know, but I enjoy living as a woman 24/7, thought I am not a good judge how passable I am.

Amanda22
10-17-2011, 03:47 PM
The "why" doesn't matter to me at all. I just enjoy it.

MackenzieMarigold
10-17-2011, 04:07 PM
From a young age, 8 or so, I have always wanted to live my adult life as a female. Why I don't know, but I enjoy living as a woman 24/7, thought I am not a good judge how passable I am.

YOU are always the one and only judge of how passable you are!

desa ray
10-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Sorry but I must disagree. I know why I dress. I know when, why and how it began. Since I am in possession of this knowledge and still have no desire to transform or modify my body where does that leave me in relation to this thread? I'm reminded of my aunt, one year she received a label maker as a gift. For months she was obsessed with the thing. One day I saw a label on the cookie jar and of course it said "cookies" when I asked her why, she said. "Well now everyone knows there are cookies in there". It was a big ugly clown head and the hat was the lid. It was obviously a cookie jar and did not need a label but she felt compelled to label it just because she could. The same applies to many other things. It did not say what kind of cookies and she did not remove the label when it was empty. What I'm trying to get at is that a 1 word label can never describe any of us.
Desa.

Cynthia Anne
10-17-2011, 04:26 PM
I am what I am! Always have been! Always will be! My rule is, I don't follow rules! Hugs!

LeaP
10-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Saw it, thought about it, rejected it.

I don't know why I crossdress. I do care to know, more out of curiosity than need. Should I ever really figure it out, though, I would still be a crossdresser. Which means the proposition can't be true. On the other hand, I don't think I'll ever unravel it, so maybe it's true, which leaves me ...

Right
In
The
Middle
Where
I
Was
To
Begin
With ...

Lea

sissystephanie
10-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Whoever wrote the position taken in the OP obviously did not know much about the meaning or philosophy of crossdressing. If they had done so, they never would have made that statement since it makes no sense at all. I am a crossdresser and have been one for 70 + years. And I do know why I do it!! I do it simply because I like to!! Putting the feminine clothes on makes me a crossdresser!! Knowing why I do it does not change that at all!! As Desa Ray said, "a one word label can never describe any of us!"

NicoleScott
10-17-2011, 05:24 PM
The mere act of crossdressing is not enough to make you a crossdresser.

A lot of unaccepting wives will be happy to hear this.

"EEEK! You're wearing a wig, makeup, dress, stockings, and high heels. You're a frickin' crossdresser!"
"Well, no, not really. You see, it depends. I read that my motivation for crossdressing doesn't qualify me as a crossdresser."
"Where did you read this?"
"On the #1 community for crossdressers, their family and friends."
"Whew! You had me worried there for a minute."