PDA

View Full Version : Was it rude of me?

Tara D. Rose
10-17-2011, 02:36 PM
I went to SCC last year. It was my first and I went this year as well. I had a wonderful time both times and cannot wait to go back next year. I met a lot of old friends and new friends as well. I still keep in touch with them periodacally throughout the year as well. I am trying to learn other proper ethics while being Tara when Im at such an event like SCC is.
So heres the situation: I would run into friends several times while there. And each time my friends and or associates would be wearing another gorgeous dress or other very attractive attire. I did this last year, but I made sure not to say it to anyone this year though and I think I did the right thing. So when I would see one of my friends, we would greet and or hug, and they would compliment me on my dress, and I would say well gilr look at you , you look so wonderful in that dress, They would say thank you. Then I would say this, "Love that dress girl, let me know when you get rid of it, I want it".
Is that rude of me to say that? I do remember when I would say that, they would just sort of look at me funny. Was it rude of me to say that? I did however say that to several too. What does the recipient of this question feel when I say that?
L&R............................Tara

AllieSF
10-17-2011, 02:41 PM
I do not see that as being rude at all. It is just another form of complimenting someone on what they have. We do it in guy mode and I have heard women do that among themselves. Funny looks come for many reasons, one of which is the that other person may be way too sensitive and takes issue with anything said that they didn't quite get when heard the first time.

TGMarla
10-17-2011, 02:43 PM
I wasn't there, so I can't speak for those who were. But I get that a lot on my picture posts. I don't take any offense to it at all. I just figure that whoever says things like that genuinely like the dress, and I accept it as a compliment.

Kate Simmons
10-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Nah, I don't think you were being rude Hon, just complimentary. If I'd been who you were talking to I probably would have said; "What, this old thing?":heehee::)

Stephanie47
10-17-2011, 02:58 PM
If you sense awkwardness, I'd ask "Where did you get the dress? Who is the maker? I'd love to get one in that style and color?" I know cousins with the same sense of style and same size will elicit hand-me-downs. Maybe, your cross dressing acquaintances haven't totally made it to female thinking yet. Stephanie would just take it as a compliment.

Vickie_CDTV
10-17-2011, 03:03 PM
It doesn't sound insulting at all, rather a complement. I wouldn't sweat it.

Vanessa Storrs
10-17-2011, 03:52 PM
It would be rude if you started unzipping the dress, otherwise it should be taken as a compliment.

sissystephanie
10-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Telling someone you would love to have their dress is a compliment!! Vanessa is right, if you tried to take it off her, that would be rude! But you were not doing that, therefore you were not rude!!

paulinescotlandcd
10-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Sounds to me like a compliment 100%. You are saying that you like what they are wearing so much you would wear it yourself.

Diane Smith
10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Heck, I say pretty much the same thing if I run into another photographer using a lens I covet ... "let me know when you're done with that thing so I can have it!" I don't think it's an inappropriate comment at all, or even particularly a gender-specific thing to say. Just another indirect form of a compliment that hopefully makes both parties feel better.

- Diane