PDA

View Full Version : VICTORY is MINE!!!

Alicia Ryanne
10-17-2011, 06:15 PM
If you are familiar with Stuey from Family Guy....you'll get the thread title.

Ok.....so I had my first endo appointment today. I went down to the appt dressed in girls jeans, a hello kitty white striped blouse t-shirt type thing, pink breast cancer awareness Chicago Bears baseball type hat and of course my usual bra on. I did not do any makeup and had a rather guyish black leather jacket on.
Anyhow......

This is the first time Ive ever been to this place. As soon as I arrived, the receptionist warmly greeted me and asked "How are you today Alicia?" Wow...that was nice. Even in guyish mode, they called me Alicia

The place is in denver off of Evans and S onieda for anyone interested. Its called Mountain View Family Medicine. it looks like a standard family practice. There was a nice flyer on one of the doors about FtM transgender support group with info/phone contact stuff. Didnt apply to me since im MTF, but might be of interest to someone else here.

Once the nice nurse brought me back and did weight, height(5' 10") she took me to the exam room and did the normal blood pressure stuff all the while calling me dear and hun and that sort of thing.

The doctor came awile later. Very nice lady. Cute short grayish spikey hair. Immedietely she made me feel very much at ease and welcome. She explained shes been treating transgender patients for 20 years and had actually attended the WPATH convention thing that released the new standards of care a couple weeks ago. Wow...so she is really interested in helping people like us. Thats good I thought to myself.

Moving on.....the standard slew of questions...like previous surgeries, medications...etc.
I told her ive been taking the Nature day herbal suppliments since April. She asked "ok so lets have a look, ok?" She noted some real breast growth and the beginning signs of nipple changes. I had told her I would say they were about a minor, minor A- in size. She laughed and agreed and said it was a nice base to start with.
We sat and talked about a lot of things relating to transition and what types of medications and various delivery methods there were. She asked what kind Id prefer. Initially I was like...well...ive been using a topical gel Estragel obtained overseas for about a month. "Ok...so would you like to continue using a topical?"

I dont mind, but i want a prescription version.

"Of course. We could suppliment the topical with an under the tongue pill version also if you like."

Hmmm, maybe. Im also not opposed to injections, though ive never done them before.

"Thats ok. We'd show you how to do it. Have you thought about patches?"

No. I thought they were expensive?

"Nah. They've got generic versions of Climera now", she said.

Oh! Ok. That sounds like a good route.

"Dont worry. If one type doesnt work for you, we are not locked in. Im here to assist you and we can always change the type and obviously the dose later."

What about Spiro?

"Well, with the new information provided at the WPATH conference, Id actually like to stay away from Spiro for now because the test results over the years have shown no real difference in long term development for MtFs that have done estrogen alone vs estrogen w/spiro. The dosage lvls are really not that different regarding the estrogen in either case. Obviously without Spiro, you dont need quite as much E. However, you are already om finesturide. Whats your current dosage?"

About ******* per day.

"Ok...so im going to prescribe you more finesturide,and I want you to take xxxx amount which is more then what you are now. This will somewhat replace Spiro since finesturide has some T-blocking ability along with preventing DHT receptors."

Ok

"Im also going to prescribe you ******* estradiol patches."

Oh. Nice! Wasnt expencting an actual prescription today. Figured youd need to do bloodwork first and then id come back.

"I am having a nurse come in and do blood work yes, but since your healthy and no issues, Im comfortable giving you the scripts now. If something shows up in the bloodwork. We will call you."

Hence why I said Victory is MINE for the thread title.

She then says..."ok...I want to see you again in 3 months. Had I given you spiro, Id have to have you come back a lot sooner and more frequently. Lets see how the E and the finestuide do first. Im used to giving patients Spiro and have done so for 20 years, but lets see how it goes first."

I leave and go right to Walmart once I get back up where I live.
Surprisingly, my insurance covered the Estradiol patches without even a hiccup. A months worth was only $10.
3 months worth of finesturide was only $24.
So currently, $18 per month is my med costs Woot.

Im finally on my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jorja
10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
See and you thought it was going to be difficult. Congratulations and enjoy;)

Mariah
10-17-2011, 06:41 PM
AWESOME! I'm vary happy for you hon. :D awesome start too vary good place to go!

Mariah

boardpuppy
10-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Some girls have all the luck, I wish the initial info I got was so incouraging......however, the best to you and continue to let us know all your ups and downs.
Alice

Rianna Humble
10-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Sounds like you have the makings of a great working relationship with the doctor and it's not going to cost you a bomb.

Glad it went so well for you :hugs:

steph963
10-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Glad to hear you've found a doctor you feel comfortable with. Here's hoping the rest of the transition is as smooth.

Alicia Ryanne
10-18-2011, 09:09 AM
First patch applied last night. Feels weird having something stuck to me LOL. The patches arent small either.
Just something to get used to now though. :)

chloe23
10-18-2011, 09:18 AM
First patch applied last night. Feels weird having something stuck to me LOL. The patches arent small either.
Just something to get used to now though. :)

Congratulations Girl, your on your way

Eileen
10-18-2011, 12:57 PM
You are on your way Alicia! Sounds like you have a knowledgeable and caring doctor.

Alicia Ryanne
10-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Yea its too bad I started feeling like my therapist was acting sorta gatekeeper-ish. Took me 4 months to get to see an endo because therapists simply wouldnt give a referal until I forced the issue by buying overseas hormones(did it on purpose so she'd have to do something).
Now, though, with the new WPATH standards, you arent even required to see a therapist at all...still highly recommended, but still.

Melody Moore
10-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Therapist are invaluable I think before starting on hormone therapy, history has proven that those who
try and rush into things don't follow the guidelines and face more risks - including the risk of making a
very bad decision. This is the reason the WPATH Guidelines are there and if I was a medical practitioner
I would be following them or face the risk of getting sued by going against that advice. Ask any doctor
why they follow them and this is what they will tell you - I brought this issue up last week at my gender
clinic and this was the response I got as well.

Alicia Ryanne
10-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Therapist are invaluable I think before starting on hormone therapy, history has proven that those who
try and rush into things don't follow the guidelines and face more risks - including the risk of making a
very bad decision. This is the reason the WPATH Guidelines are there and if I was a medical practitioner
I would be following them or face the risk of getting sued by going against that advice. Ask any doctor
why they follow them and this is what they will tell you - I brought this issue up last week at my gender
clinic and this was the response I got as well.

Not disagreeing with you. But...the new WPATH standards has removed the requirement for therapy. It didnt help me, but what i was getting at is i had been talking with the therapist about a referral for some time and she just wouldnt for some reason even though she was telling me to my face "I see you as a girl, I know you are a woman." What it came down to is that it seemed to me she was just holding out on the referral to keep me coming back week after week for a PAID session thus making her money. That is why I ordered overseas stuff and told her Id take it so she'd either have to give a referal or not and if not then Id know I needed to find someone else.

Melody Moore
10-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Hi Alicia

there was never any requirements to undergo therapy in the previous version WPATH SoCv6, because they are only guidelines
that is assembled by a body of transgender heath professionals and while they are not compulsory, however ignoring any of the
recommendations made in the SoC can put a medical practitioner in a difficult spot. Litigation is what they really fear if something
does go wrong even though these are only guidelines.

Therapy has always been a key recommendation, not a requirement in all the versions of the SoC and is encouraged
even more in the new SoCv7 & not only to transsexuals, but to other transgender and gender non-conforming people.

You cannot make accusations that your therapist was only wanting to see you for monetary gains, she
may have just felt that there was some flags to a few potential issues that she need to be sure about.
So I feel you cannot just come out and say things like that, because you are not in any position to judge.

There are many people who have had to jump through the hoops to get what they want, and often for a
very good reason. For me personally I didn't have any of that, however I am sure it can be very frustrating.

I was put on hormone therapy after meeting with two different doctors who worked at the same gender clinic within a week.
These doctors took a chance on me, however no doctor acted alone and there was a protocol that they obviously followed.

When I presented to the first doctor, I presented as a very 'passable' woman who was obviously very comfortable being the
person this doctor met that day. Her first comments to me were "Wow, for someone that is just coming out, I cannot get
over how naturally feminine and how comfortable you are. Are you having any electrolysis? Are you already on hormones?".
I replied "No, this is just me naturally when I present myself as a woman". She told me I was very lucky to be able to do that.
Then I told her that "I decided to start living full-time as a female to see how comfortable I felt before I went on hormones".

I went on to tell her about my background, the issues I have suffered, about my family and how I had already come out to
them but was rejected anyway but prepared for that and how I arrived at the point I was at on that particular day. She said to
me "You sound very rational Melody you have obviously done a lot of work on yourself to be so comfortable now as a woman".
I told her that I just couldn't go on any longer the way I have been and that I felt that gender transition was my only option.

I didn't try to blackmail her into giving me hormones like you tried to do LOL, but I told her that I was aware of alternatives
for hormones through online pharmacies and herbal medications. However I told here that I wasn't willing to take that sort
of a risk because I knew that hormone therapy could be very dangerous. And she said "Good, because the risks was the next
thing I wanted to talk to you about anyway". She then went on to start talking about the risks, I told her I understood all the
risks and ran off a list of possible complications to her.

Her response to that was "Well you have done your homework, but I am not really sure how I should proceed
from here, so I am going to have you come back next week and see another one of our doctors". So she
scheduled another appointment then I thanked her for her time and left feeling that I was already on my way. ;)

The next week I went back to see the second doctor still presenting as this very passable comfortable trans woman &
the reaction and the questions I got from the second doctor were no different to the first doctor, she was also amazed
by how passable I was and asked me the same questions if I was having facial hair removal such as electrolysis.

This doctor also followed some protocol because of the same line of questions as the first doctor and I just gave her the
same responses as I did the other doctor. So when she started to talk about the risks I knew what she was going to say,
so I just said to her "Save it, I am fully aware that I can suffer, this, this, this..." as I rattled off the long list of possible
complications. Then she interrupted me and smiled at me and said "I think we are fine, I am going to prescribe you hormones
today so there is no more need to worry". I said "Thank you!" and smiled. That was when she said "Congratulations for
tethering the testosterone & defeating the male ego!". I just laughed and agreed and nothing couldn't wipe the huge smile
off my face. So that was my day when VICTORY was all MINE!

I went straight to the pharmacy to get my scripts filled, then took my first lot of hormones that evening.

I should also mention that noone knew, not even myself that I was intersex, that came out in the months that followed
after having tests done, but this is why I was able to be accepted as a female without being on hormones. Another friend
told me a few days ago that she has a very hard time to see that I was ever a male and assumes I grew up as a female.
Which I did really, but Melody was just secretly trapped inside coming out and being about to express myself as a woman
and be accepted is the great feeling of liberation this girl has ever known. So I hope this victory finally sets you free.

Alicia Ryanne
10-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Didnt finish reading your reply. First off...you have no business telling me I am not in a position to judge whats going on with my therapist. I AM the one going and observing what and where she tries to go with therapy. I have every right to think what i want. So your "point" there is completely off base and wrong.