PDA

View Full Version : Outing myself

Diane Elizabeth
10-19-2011, 03:04 PM
My son, whom I love very much, is in town for a night. We are having a family getogther for dinner tonight. I am planning to go see him around 430 to try and tell him about my GID and what it is about. I chickened out the last time I saw him. I want to do this now because I probably won't see him again until his wedding in July. I hope I can explain it to him well enough that he doesn't shut me out. Right now my stomach is doing somersaults in anticipation.

xristy
10-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Good luck telling him. I understand what it is like to tell someone and it isn't easy. Things will work out one way or another, lets just hope for the best.

Xristy

Traci Elizabeth
10-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Don't worry if his initial response to you is one of shock and disbelief. That was the response I got but as the days, weeks, months passed I was totally accepted as me. Remember in the long run, love always wins out.

Diane Elizabeth
10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. My stomach probably won't stop turning for awhile.

AllieSF
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Good luck Donna. Maybe one recommendation is to not go into too much detail. I have found that once someone asks me about myself, you know the usual why, etc., I tend to give them way too much detail and information. Now, those people that ask are total strangers. I am not out to anyone I know in guy mode. So, just answer the questions, keep it as general as possible and keep looking them in the eyes. You will have all kinds of time to get into details and do an emotional dump in the future when you and them are better prepared for it.

morgan51
10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
outing myself to my daughter went way better than I could have hoped best luck to you may it go well.

Diane Elizabeth
10-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Well, its done. I survived it and he is still talking to me. I did not go into too many details. He is stunned and in disbelief. He is mulling over what I told him and is not jumping to any conclusions. He called his SO and told her. She said that it doesn't change who I am. I told him about getting more info from the website. So it is good for now. Relief.

AllieSF
10-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Congratulations. Now, they need time to digest it all. You have been living with this for some time. They are the newbies today and have been surprised by the revelation. It does sound positive and I wish you the best. Remember to take it slow with them. Thanks again for sharing something so important to you.

Laura Evans
10-19-2011, 10:41 PM
congratulations, Donna. I recently came out to one of my sons and the first thing out of his mouth was "Dad, no matter what, I love you" then continued and said that on religious grounds he could not accept it but it will not change is feeling of love for me. Now I am just giving him and his spouse time to digest it and we will see where it goes. My oldest lives on the East coast but is coming out west in Dec for a marathon and will stop by to visit and I plan to tell him then (the other child lives locally).

Gennifer
10-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Donna,

Sounds like a big step, and one you were ready to make. I am glad for you.

Hope
10-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Congratulations.

It is always hard, and the topic never comes up in conversation, you ironically just have to man-up, push your heart back down out of your throat, and do it.

It is one of the hardest things you will ever do. It is one of the hardest parts of transition, and I think every one here is able to be proud of any girl who pulls it off.

Diane Elizabeth
10-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Unfortunately he didn't respond with a "I will love you anyway". Maybe after he digests it some. Then again the males in my family only show the stern manly side to each other. Time will tell.

Jenny Doolittle
10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Donna,

Congratulations. Life is such a great ride if you have the courage to be yourself and trust that others will accept you. I to have slowly been allowing others close to me to know the real me and I have actually been surprised how accepting most have taken the information.

I have to believe that that they have no idea how long we have been worried about telling others about this secret we all have hidden for so many years. How we have built this secret in our own mind for so long may be why we are surprised. It is a huge thing to us, but has relatively no issue on our friends. I have to believe because it is not them that it effects directly it is much easier to accept. I think that is why people who only know us casually will take the information without any problem at all, as long has they have an open mind. I think it is more difficult for a wife or family member to understand because there are always the issues of "Is it my fault you are like the way you are", or "What will people thing of me when they look at you?"

Anyway, I am happy for you.

Jenny

Starling
10-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Good luck, Donna. I haven't told anyone in my family yet (not that I think they'll be terribly surprised), but I have opened up to several friends, and my gender therapist, of course. In the main I feel spiritually ready to explode my life, but I'm still agonizing over the pain--and embarrassment--I may cause others. Mostly now, I'm working to get an emergency support network in place for when I take the plunge.

:) Lallie