View Full Version : HRT or HT?

10-17-2005, 01:23 PM
OK annoying stickler moment; Everyone keeps calling hormone therapy "HRT", which is what post-menopausal women have (Hormone Replacement Therapy). We never had female hormones in the first place, so really it should be called just pain "HT" (Hormone Therapy) surely?

*hides* :)


10-17-2005, 02:07 PM
True...but you are also replacing male hormones for female ones.
*hides as well* :)

10-17-2005, 06:50 PM
I guess it is HT for me... I have no male or female hormones in the first place.

10-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Thank you, Kate. I also was considering mentioning that, but as I am already a notorious nitpicker and bad person, I thought I should refrain for a change...:o

And Caitlin, I believe that's not actually the case, luv. If memory serves, males and females both have both kinds, but in radically different proportions... to go M2F (or vice versa, for that matter), you raise one and lower the other, not actually replacing one with the other, per se...

Instead of HRT, which, as Kate correctly mentioned, is replacement of hormones previously present, a scientifically accurate term would be 'Hormone Adjustment Therapy.'

But there could be a compromise, removing the error without having to change the now-common abbreviation...

HRT = 'Hormone Readjustment Therapy' :confused:

..and Mandy, you're right, in your instance 'Hormone Therapy' would be closest to the mark...

*also hides in now-overcrowded 'undisclosed location'* :)

10-18-2005, 02:13 PM
And well you should hide.....nitpicking on my jokey statement.....I just didnt want to go into too much detail on what is otherwise a fun post...KILLJOY
Ps.....im not even going to mention blockers....