PDA

View Full Version : Observations about non-observation

JanetK
10-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Hello All,
I just wanted to make a couple of observations about some things I have experienced over the past 24 hours:
1. I purchased some Black patent clogs (similar to these: http://www.allheart.com/dsprofpat.html#i) last night for $15 at Burlington Coat Factory (thought they looked cute and they are extremely comfortable). I decided to wear these shoes on the way home (only other femme clothing was panties and pantyhose--male jeans and t for outer clothing). While on the drive, I decided to stop at the Dollar Tree to pick up some items. I wanted to see what people's reactions would be to a man in mens clothing wearing a borderline androgynous but obviously female pair of shoes. The reaction was amazing! There was none! People did not gawk, laugh, make comments, or even pay me any mind while I was in there. I went in there with the attitude that I didn't care if anyone did laugh or comment, and the confidence definitely helped. I did not feel the need to run at all, and actually shopped next to a few people. It was eye opening.
2. I decided to wear my tights today with a pair of womens jeans (sorry Karren--it is jeans Friday so I couldn't wear my slacks :)) for the drive into work (along with a bra and ladies knit shirt). Normally I would stop along the way and change into my mens jeans and shirt. Today I decided to test the waters. For the past 4 hours I have been in the office with my Riders jeans on and my bra still on underneath my t-shirt ( I had to change from the knit shirt and aforementioned clogs) and I do not think anyone has noticed. I have even interacted closely with several people. It is amazing how oblivious others are to what people are wearing. I guess as a CD I pay a little more attention to clothes. :)

kimdl93
10-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't think people pay much attention to things like shoes and jeans. Remember the quote from a scene in Shawshank Redemption: " I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes?" When I worked in an office setting I ordinarily wore stockings or tights and if anyone noticed it was never mentioned.

I'm not sure about bras tho. It seems that the straps would show through most shirts. I can even see the outline of a cami through most shirts....even if the colors are a close match. So maybe people have noticed but just don't care or are reluctant to bring it up.

Wendy W
10-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Working in a medical environment where I am, your clogs would be part of the male/female uniform with scrubs. Now if you wore pumps/heels.........

Alberta_Pat
10-21-2011, 01:26 PM
If I have to deal with a sales person, I always look at their shoes.

Well cared for shoes indicate a person who tends to look to detail. This is important to me when I am making a purchase.

As a sidebar comment, I also look at people driving company vehicles. If they handle the vehicle in a competent manner, then that company will be higher on my list when it comes to needing their services. People with little regard for the rules of the road generally show contempt for the procedures required to do a job right.

sinead
10-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Hello All,
I just wanted to make a couple of observations about some things I have experienced over the past 24 hours:
1. I purchased some Black patent clogs (similar to these: http://www.allheart.com/dsprofpat.html#i) last night for $15 at Burlington Coat Factory (thought they looked cute and they are extremely comfortable). I decided to wear these shoes on the way home (only other femme clothing was panties and pantyhose--male jeans and t for outer clothing). While on the drive, I decided to stop at the Dollar Tree to pick up some items. I wanted to see what people's reactions would be to a man in mens clothing wearing a borderline androgynous but obviously female pair of shoes. The reaction was amazing! There was none! People did not gawk, laugh, make comments, or even pay me any mind while I was in there. I went in there with the attitude that I didn't care if anyone did laugh or comment, and the confidence definitely helped. I did not feel the need to run at all, and actually shopped next to a few people. It was eye opening.
2. I decided to wear my tights today with a pair of womens jeans (sorry Karren--it is jeans Friday so I couldn't wear my slacks :)) for the drive into work (along with a bra and ladies knit shirt). Normally I would stop along the way and change into my mens jeans and shirt. Today I decided to test the waters. For the past 4 hours I have been in the office with my Riders jeans on and my bra still on underneath my t-shirt ( I had to change from the knit shirt and aforementioned clogs) and I do not think anyone has noticed. I have even interacted closely with several people. It is amazing how oblivious others are to what people are wearing. I guess as a CD I pay a little more attention to clothes. :)

Janet I went round a busy shopping mall 'Bluewater' dressed in a schoolgirls uniform. I spent about 2 hours there and like you no one batted an eyelid, it made me wonder why I spent so many years closeted.

Cheryl T
10-21-2011, 04:06 PM
I have 3 pair of clogs that I wear all the time. One is kind of burgundy and has the lowest heel at about 1".
Another is brown with a zipper on the instep and they have about a 2" heel. I've worn these and my wife has mentioned that some women were looking at my shoes. I said they are just jealous.
The third pair is black and has the highest heel at about 2.5". These I only wear when dressed as I'm not comfortable walking in them for long periods due to a foot problem.

Karren H
10-21-2011, 04:18 PM
If I'd have seen you in women's jeans Janet... I'd have chased you down...... Lol.

Dawn cd
10-21-2011, 09:02 PM
I have a pair of black mary janes that I wear with otherwise drab clothing. Of course I don't wear them with red or white sox--they would stand out too boldly then. But if I wear black sox or stockings, no one notices.

pinto
10-21-2011, 09:36 PM
I always feel uneasy during those situations because you never know if people don't really recognize or if they just don't tell anything. If they don't recognize it's good but if they see and don't tell it makes me feel unconfident.