PDA

View Full Version : At least with a skirt...

Hotscot
10-24-2011, 07:28 PM
We normally wear underwear.

However when I wear my kilt.....:o

Christina Horton
10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
So what's your point of this thread. Are you asking if its a good idea or what?

sissystephanie
10-24-2011, 09:03 PM
If you are a true Scot you go "commando" when you wear a Kilt. That is the traditional way to wear it. Ladies, including those who are crossdressers, wear panties under a skirt. But a Kilt and a Skirt are 2 entirely different things!! I am a crossdresser and wear skirts, but I am also Scottish and do wear a kilt on occasion!! And yes I do wear it commando!!

AnitaH
10-24-2011, 10:36 PM
They say it takes bravery to wear a skirt or a dress in public but to wear a traditional kilt, no that takes bravery in my mind.

AnitaH

freeindress
10-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Not Scottish, no kilt, only panties under short skirts, but freedom under long skirts or dresses (under them, a short denim skirt helps to keep a flat appearance).

Tina B.
10-25-2011, 08:21 AM
I'll keep my panties on thank you, don't much care for the dangling bits. And Tucking takes care of that flat front.
Tina B.

Christina Horton
10-25-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm.half Scottish and have never worn a kilt and would love one. But I would wear panties underneath it. I would just have to get the MacDonald Tarten. And even though my mom is fine with my cding she could not have a prob with that. After all I get my Scottish-ness from her. Lol.

Denise Shelly
10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
In truth when a king is on the throne you would wear a kilt regimental ( no undies) But when the throne has a queen on it you would wear special undies. This would be listed in your reqimental ROE

Jilmac
10-25-2011, 09:56 AM
I have never worn a kilt but if I did I would wear my panties underneath. I don't want my "equipment" to be out and about, and panties feel better than the fabric of outer clothing against my skin.

Pythos
10-25-2011, 10:27 AM
In truth when a king is on the throne you would wear a kilt regimental ( no undies) But when the throne has a queen on it you would wear special undies. This would be listed in your reqimental ROE

Ooookkkaaaaayyy,

That makes little to no sense. You would think it would be the other way around.

Someone here said something that I think is quite preposterous. They said that a skirt and kilt are ENTIRELY different. Well, no they are not. They are both open bottom garments that hang from the waist. Now I know one is made of much heavier material and has a different cut, and of course the main difference being they are worn by men (funny, I have seen my share of women ALSO wearing the kilt). But the fact skirts and kilts are worn from the waist and open bottomed negates the statement that they are entirely different.

Only thing in my mind that makes them different is a sprinkling of sexism. As far as going regimental? NOOOooo thank you. I had to do that once under my long black skirt, and it was annoying.

LeaP
10-25-2011, 11:04 AM
I was a competitive pipe band player for decades and have worn a variety of kilts of several types, including a regimental kilt that was in continuous use since WW1 (yes, 1). They differ from a woman's skirt (even kilted skirt) only in that they are cut for a man's figure and have heavier construction. They do not hang from the waist. A properly-constructed kilt rises quite a bit above the waist. The regimental kilt mentioned above extended nearly to the breastbone. The construction is not just heavier, it is *considerably* heavier. The wool ranges from 2x to 3x the weight of a woman's kilted skirt, and the yardage is appx 3x also. There is a heavy-weight canvas interlining that extends from the top of the kilt to the bottom of the sewn pleats section, which is typically where the hip starts curving inward again, allowing the open pleats to swing. Women with any kind of feminine figure typically do not look right in kilts, even when custom-made. It's not sexist to acknowledge the difference, it's more akin to female vs. male jeans construction.

I've always worn cut-off pantyhose under mine!

Lea

NV Susan
10-25-2011, 11:21 AM
No kilt for me.....I like my skirts and dresses!!!

And panties.....I'll never tell!!! :brolleyes:

Dana7
10-25-2011, 11:25 AM
I've always worn cut-off pantyhose under mine!

Lea

Now that's a new one on me Lea! Never thought of wearing cut-off pantyhose under anything before!

I must admit that I've been looking at kilts for a while now for the purpose of allowing myself to be able to wear a skirt-type-garment in public without fear of ridicule. But it is true that kilts are definitely significantly different in design from the average skirt although both are garments which open at the bottom. Besides their design differences, kilts tend to be quite a bit more expensive as well, especially if you are looking at a genuine wool kilt in the 5 to 8 yard design, as they should be constructed.

The quality of a kilt is also something to be considered. Since a lot more material goes into its construction than and average skirt, the kilt is much more of an investment than the average skirt. There are utility kilts, casual kilts, dress kilts, and ceremonial kilts. But a distinguishing factor about kilts besides their design is that they are uniquely identified with their clan. And so those of us not fortunate enough to have been born with Scottish ancestry must choose one of the "generic" kilt tartan patterns, such as "Black Watch Tartan" or something like that, or else acknowledge being identified with a specific Scottish family.

I have been looking at plain solid black kilts for that reason. Ultimately, kilts are designed for men but there are women's versions of kilts as well. They are designed differently for obvious reasons--but the basic appearance is more or less the same.

As for wearing panties or going commando, I definitely prefer wearing panties. That is half the fun of dressing up--they feel so delicious underneath. And it really wouldn't matter to me whether the kilt is considered a man's garment or not. To me it is still a skirt. But I would probably wear plain panties if I wore a kilt in public. I'd hate to be at a Celtic festival and have the wind come up to expose flowered panties under my kilt!

:p

pennylee
10-26-2011, 12:16 AM
don't remember the site, but I saw men's slips to be worn under kilts, for "protection" because of the heavy, coarse material.

KandisTX
10-26-2011, 09:13 AM
There are HUGE differences between Kilts and Skirts.

Traditional kilts are not hemmed at the bottom. Formal kilts do have hems however they are only to be worn for formal occasions (at least they should be only worn then). The pleats are ONLY in the back of a kilt, not all around such as a skirt would be. A kilt MUST be the correct length, i.e. it must end at the knee whereas a skirt can be midi, mini, knee or ankle length. A kilt also does not have any buttons, zippers or any other type of fastener to keep it on at the waist. A traditional kilt is pleated by hand each time it is worn. The pleats are NOT sewn into a kilt and they must be pleated every time they are worn. (These days however many do a quick stitching on the pleats to save time when dressing). A traditional woman's kilt would ankle length not knee length like a man's kilt.

I own two kilts, one is formal (Royal Stewart Tartan), and the other is an "everyday" kilt which consists of 9 yards of fabric which includes the sash, this is also known as a "Great Kilt".

t-girlxsophie
10-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Well the only ocassion I could appear in a skirt (but not really) in front of family was my weddings ,and ashamed to say,with underwear on (well it was Scotland in nov) did toy with the idea of wearing panties,but as sure as fate at every Scottish Wedding at least once you get your Kilt hiked up by someone LOL If only they knew.My mother never expected me to turn up on my big day in Highland Dress but she was so happy when I did

Sophie

LeaP
10-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Kandis,

What you are calling a "traditional" kilt (great kilt), is costume, as it's an antique clothing article. Wearing one is comparable to wearing a frock coat. The little kilt - the kilt most people are accustomed to seeing, is modern dress and in current use, including official use as in the British Army.

Lea

Roberta Roberts
10-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Stephanie,
When I wear a skirt, I always wear a panty girdle. However, some dresses and skirts (a pencil skirt for example) cry out to be worn with a girdle ( and of course stockings) of some type to get the retro look. Whe I wear a pencil skirt, i usually will wear a high waist OBG like a Rago 1294, WITHOUT underwear ( aka commando style). Do not knock it until you try it...it gives new meaning to the phrase: "free and easy". Now that cold weather is upon us (at least in the north east), I for one one do not have to worry about maintaining a "flat front" as the boys and friend will retreat so one does not have to worry. The cool breezes are nice and the sensation is outstanding.

Cheers,
Roberta R

Asche
10-27-2011, 09:52 PM
If you are a true Scot you go "commando" when you wear a Kilt.I suppose it depends upon your definition of a "true Scot."

I'm told the British Army requires that its soldiers go commando when wearing a kilt, but there's no real rule for others. Scottish Dancers, in particular, are likely to wear something underneath to avoid embarrassing moments.

Of course there are plenty of people (most of them not Scots) who will be happy to tell you that No True Scotsman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman) would wear anything under his kilt. These same folks will be happy to fill you up with a thousand other ridiculous rules about How The Kilt Is Worn and to find fault with whatever you do. IMHO, a True Scotsman would live his life as he sees fit and tell such petty tyrants to bugger off.

susan54
10-28-2011, 03:09 PM
I am a true Scot in the sense that all traceable ancestors were Scots. When I wear a kilt I wear male underwear - going commando is gross.A kilt feels ultra masculine. When I wear a skirt (always with panties) it feels feminine. They are technically both skirts but they really are very different indeed. By the way wearing a maxi kilt as a woman is only done when in a winning Gaelic choir.