PDA

View Full Version : Getting Used to Wearing a Wig

Toni Citara
10-24-2011, 10:59 PM
So, had my first fitting. Went through several selections, my "friend" helped pick out something she felt fit my face and skin tone. However, I HATE, as in LOATHE, DESPISE and CANNOT STAND the hair that keeps getting in my eyes and mouth. I've dated enough women, and even married one with long hair, and never did I see them put up with this crap.

How do I keep this piece of plastic fishline from sticking in my eyes and mouth all night.

Moreover, how do I keep from overheating with this pile of polyester on my head?

Edit: Thanks for the comments. I think trimming the wig might help.

susan1970
10-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Wearing a wig there is really no solution from making your head sweat. you would just need to let your natural hair grow out and it wont be as hot

5150 Girl
10-24-2011, 11:11 PM
I've had long hair all my life. It's just somthing one gets used to and you no longer think about it. So, when nature forced me into a situation that I now need a wig, it's not that big a deal to me. Aditaionaly, when I'm in ugly mode, I'm under a ball cap, no if's and's or buts's about it...

Lorileah
10-24-2011, 11:19 PM
If you don't like it don't do it. Seems simple. You want the look you does the work. Amazing, I wonder if anybody is ever happy. And people think being pretty is all fun and games

jeri1973
10-24-2011, 11:25 PM
I too have been getting used to wearing my wig. It has been along time since there has been hair over my ears, down my back and in my face. However, I love the feeling of it and getting used to it hasn't been so bad. Just wear the wig proudly and enjoy to long locks.

Christina Horton
10-25-2011, 12:00 AM
You could do I few things.
1, you can trim the bangs. I did on my first wig and it looked 1000% better.
2, you could have a wig maker re do the way it falls and make it work for you.
3, you can buy I short hair wig get used to that in the summer and long in winter.

You'll be hot in summer no matter if you use you own hair or a wig. Why. Well we.have to wear.more then other men to make a fem shape etc.

Eryn
10-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Hair in face syndrome? Do what the GGs do. There is an entire rack of hair-holding devices at the drug/grocery/beauty/etc. store. I use a simple pair of bobby pins to keep my medium length wig under control.

Also, GGs tend to hold their heads up. This posture also helps to keep hair out of one's face.

Keep at it. After a while you get used to it and taking care of stray hairs starts to feel natural. GGs do that all the time and we just don't notice it.

Oh, and always face into the wind... :)

gabimartini
10-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Toni, it is simple: the more beautiful you want to look, the harder it gets. In addition to wigs, think also of makeup, heels, waist cinchers, proper posture, feminine walk, etc. So, you have a choice: either give up or buck up! :) :) :) I choose the latter, hands down, and I'll tell you, it gets better with time.

Samantha W
10-25-2011, 07:19 AM
I know exactly what you’re saying Toni, I started to noticeably lose my hair in high school and have been the baldest guy in my age group ever since. People lose most of their body heat through the scalp, and hair, natural or otherwise is, a great insulator. I had twenty years of acclimating to having no insulation, so when I wear my wig I really notice the difference.

Ever wonder why most GG’s wear theirs off their face, back in a pony, bun or braids? Now you know! The biggest thing you can do is learn to style and control. Since I haven’t had bangs since I was 17, any hair care beyond a $1 bottle of shampoo every six months was a total mystery. But I’ve found that learning to fix my hair is one of the most enjoyable things about crossdressing.

Invest in some bobby pins, ties, clips and scrunches. It’s amazing how many ways you can wear it with just a clip and a few pins. The other advantage of wearing it back is that you get to show our your earrings.

If your wig is synthetic, be very careful if you try a curling iron. Some fibers melt at a very low temperature.

My favorite style is the one I’m wearing in my avatar pic. Pulled back into a pony with one side pinned back and the other left forward.

And in the end, unlike a GG, you can always take it off for a while. That really makes them jealous. He he he.

Kate Simmons
10-25-2011, 07:52 AM
This is where being inventive with clips, bows and styling comes in. Women have to do this. If we want to look like them and emulate them we have to do the same. As far as "overheating" you just have to get used to it. Of course being bald helps me out in that respect.:heehee::)

Tina B.
10-25-2011, 07:59 AM
They have a lot of cute short wigs out there. And open weave helps keep it lighter and cooler.
Tina B.

linda allen
10-25-2011, 08:30 AM
I guess if it bothers you, get it trimmed. My wife gets her bangs trimmed when they grow long enough to bother her. Some female hair styles hang down and even cover one eye at times. I guess if that's the look you want you put up with it.

I've only worn a wig a few times and of course, it's a different feeling (like having boobs), but it hasn't really bothered me.

eluuzion
10-25-2011, 09:02 AM
I am the same way with the little stray hairs that seem to be magnetized to eyes and mouth. I usually end up using a banana clip or a hair band. (or a pair of scissors, lol).
Getting hair off the back of my neck resolves most heat issues.

I don’t use it, but have you tried hair spray? Isn’t that the “duct-tape” of hair control?:D

:love:

kristinacd55
10-25-2011, 09:06 AM
Don't think I'll ever get used to wearing one.....they're not too bad in the dead of winter but besides that I end up having a wickedly red face from getting so hot! :)

celeste26
10-25-2011, 09:11 AM
After 50+ years of wearing my own hair short I have come to appreciate what long hair can do. I learned for instance that I have a natural waviness to my own hair that just doesn't show when it is short, also it seems some curls at the lower end of the hair that comes just down to the shoulder. So without expensive hair salon sessions I have naturally beautiful hair that really takes a minimum amount of effort to look good. Dont be jealous girls its all in the genes, I cant take credit for what nature provides.

suzy1
10-25-2011, 09:34 AM
The length of the wig makes a lot of difference. My first wig was long. Never again, I would have ended up in the nut house!
A lot of CD girls will always go for the long sexy look. But that is not always the way to look good.
My wig as you can see is just the right length to look nice [I think so] and is no problem to wear over long periods.
One other point to mention is the elasticised band inside. I never use it. It used to feel awful after a short time. And it’s not necessary unless you are going out on a windy day.
As for getting to hot, I found that cutting my natural hair short and going a bit bald on top helps a lot with overheating. [Only one layer of hair on top]
Lastly it takes a little time to get used to wearing a wig so persevere with it.

I hope that helps, SUZY

PretzelGirl
10-25-2011, 08:39 PM
And don't wear lip gloss. Nothing is a hair magnet more than lip gloss.