PDA

View Full Version : parallel lives

kellycan27
10-25-2011, 05:46 PM
I had a great morning. I decided to stop at Starbucks for coffee on my way into the office. When I pulled in a black Porsche Carrera pulled in next to me and out popped this gorgeous little blonde. She looked to be about my age, and she was dressed in business type attire. We sort of gave each other the onceover as we walked towards the door. In order to get inside we had to pass by a group of about 6 guys who looked like they were from a utility company. There were a couple of comments made, but nothing rude, but more in the way of Wow, geese, dang! When we reached the door we kind or rolled our eyes at the reaction from the men. I hit the line first and there were probably 10 people ahead of us. Nice car she said. ( I was driving my husband’s McLaren Mercedes). I like yours too I said. It’s my husband’s she said.. So is mine but what’s theirs is ours right? Amen sister! We laughed and high fived each other. So, she says what does your husband do? He’s a surgeon I replied. No way so is mine! What kind I asked? Oral, and yours? Neuro, I said. I asked her what she did for a living and she said that she’s a bank manager. Oh my gosh I am an accountant. I asked if she had any kids.. two she said a boy 6 and a girl 1. How about you? None of my own, but I have temporary custody of my g/f’s kids (she passed quite suddenly, a whole other story) they are a boy 2 and a girl 5. It turned out that she worked in the city where I live and I work in the city where she lives. By the time we reached the front of the line we were chatting and giggling like old friends. I felt an immediate kinship. We talked some more, exchanged business cards and cell numbers and I said, you know something? You could probably drive to my house and me to yours and we could probably just fit right in lol. She asked if I was ready to face the gauntlet outside. I am ready if you are. We walked to our respective cars and got in. I gave the engine a little rev as did she. The guys were all smiles and applauded as we drove off. At the light we both busted out laughing, she turned right and I turned left. I think we will become fast friends. I thought it quite interesting the fact that we met by chance and had so much in common.

Kelly

Aprilrain
10-25-2011, 05:50 PM
cool story what a coincidence!

AllieSF
10-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Such is Life, Kelly. That has happened to me quite a few times over my longish life. In the most random place we run into someone we haven't seen in ages (in a foreign country for me), sit on a plane and meet a stranger who regularly sees a personal friend of mine and I just happen to be going to his house for the weekend. Many times it happens because we shared a common moment just like you did getting out of the car at the same time and running the unofficial greeters gauntlet. Up strikes a conversation that leads to who knows where. It is kind of like the turtle analogy as a personal motivator. The turtle goes no where unless it sticks its neck out once in awhile. The same for all of us. Start a conversation with a stranger and who knows where it will take you. Thanks for sharing and bringing back some pleasant personal memories.

CharleneT
10-26-2011, 12:52 PM
I adore little moments like that ! Great story, thanks for sharing it with us ;)

Eileen
10-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Cool Kelly! There are so many great moments in life!

Karren H
10-26-2011, 03:46 PM
That's amazing Kelly... I'll bet she really had no clue........ You were an accountant!! :).

*Vanessa*
10-26-2011, 03:47 PM
neat story Kelly

kellycan27
10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Such is Life, Kelly. That has happened to me quite a few times over my longish life. In the most random place we run into someone we haven't seen in ages (in a foreign country for me), sit on a plane and meet a stranger who regularly sees a personal friend of mine and I just happen to be going to his house for the weekend. Many times it happens because we shared a common moment just like you did getting out of the car at the same time and running the unofficial greeters gauntlet. Up strikes a conversation that leads to who knows where. It is kind of like the turtle analogy as a personal motivator. The turtle goes no where unless it sticks its neck out once in awhile. The same for all of us. Start a conversation with a stranger and who knows where it will take you. Thanks for sharing and bringing back some pleasant personal memories.

I liked your turtle analogy, and I totally agree. I am a chatter box, and i will strike up conversations just about anywhere.. Standing in line at the bank, market, or the post office. Just don't tell my mom because she'd probably be upset that I didn't heed her warning about talking to strangers. :heehee:

Teri Jean
11-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Kelly there are those moments where the planets just fall into alignment and the day becomes so wonderful. That is a nice experience. Teri

Persephone
11-02-2011, 12:34 PM
So cool, Kelly! Have a great rest of the day!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Longing2be-Trisha
11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
What an awesome meeting Kelly! Sounds like a good friendship is in the making. Taking temp custody of your g/f's children after her passing away you should get the Medal of Honor, because many would leave it up to the state to deal with it. You are a VERY SPECIAL WOMAN!

Hugs and Kisses

Kathi Lake
11-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Kelly,

With your personality, I'm sure this is not an isolated incident. It's amazing how some people just open up, and you become fast friends - whether there are stunning similarities in your lives, or worlds of difference. You are a whole, happy person. How can you not make friends?!

:)

Kathi

kellycan27
11-18-2011, 08:02 PM
UPDATE:

I have been hanging out with my new friend Kim when we have a minute.. We have done lunch, and met for coffee a couple of times, and we got the guys together. They seemed to have hit it off as well. Kim and i took the kids whale watching out of Long Beach and had a great time even though the water was a bit choppy and the weather wasn't the best. We decided that we wanted to learn to scuba dive so we signed up and had our first lesson today. 4.5 classroom hours and and hour or so in the pool. After two weekends of class we get dive off of Catalina Island,, where our "check out" dives will take place. Now all we need to do is get the guys interested in getting certified too. I can taste the fresh lobster now! lol
We are trying to arrange a weekend trip to Las Vegas where we can just hang out at my house and maybe see a show or two. With the guy's work schedules... no easy task, but i think that if we nag enough.. they will capitulate :heehee:
Kim is sort of an adrenaline junkie like me so I see some fun in our future.

Kel

Starling
11-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Cool, Kel.

:) Lallie