PDA

View Full Version : So,,, My daughter has started a GLBT group in her High School............

pinklilly211
10-26-2011, 03:48 PM
I recieved a note on my Face Book page the other day. My daughter has started a GLBT group in her school. She Wanted to know if I would "like" her post. She has gotten alot of support on the project. I did "like" her post. Do youall think that she might know about Lilly? I don't know if I should talk to her about this or not.
Huggs as always, Lilly :eek:

Marie-Elise
10-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Or, is it possible she is GLTB?

DanaR
10-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Does she know about you?

kimdl93
10-26-2011, 04:00 PM
She invited you to "like" her post. Just ask her to tell you more about her group. Let her do the talking and pretty soon, you'll know what she knows. then you can decide what you want to share with her.

DanaR
10-26-2011, 04:06 PM
She invited you to "like" her post. Just ask her to tell you more about her group. Let her do the talking and pretty soon, you'll know what she knows. then you can decide what you want to share with her.

As kimdl93 mentioned, she could have a number of reasons for starting the group.

Vanessa Storrs
10-26-2011, 04:32 PM
There are many reasons that your daughter chose to be involved with a GLBT organization, but her involvement indicates that she is very likely quite openminded about GLBT issues and people. Talk to her, adults and teenagers have a hard time communicating, this can give you some common ground.

sissystephanie
10-26-2011, 04:41 PM
If your daughter knows enough about GLTB issues to start a group, you do need to talk to her. Not just about your CD'ing, but also about her!! She probably does know about your CD activities, but it is very likely that there is other things involved with her! Things you should know about, since you are her father!! Just be openminded!!

jillleanne
10-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Become inquisitive about it and remember, you should be supporting her regardless of Lilly, or if your daughter is herself GLBT. Hopefully, she will be forthcoming and divulge the reason for her doing this at her school. I think it would be nifty to be in your position.

Cynthia Anne
10-26-2011, 06:21 PM
I agree with sissy Stephanie on this one! Talk to her! Most important be openminded with her no matter what she says! The same as you would want her to be with you! Hugs!

Jilmac
10-26-2011, 07:24 PM
If it was my daughter I would want to know all about the school group, their views, opinions, beliefs and biases. Then I would ask her why she decided to start the GLBT group, and if she knew anybody who was gay, lesbian, bi, or trans. That might give me a clue as to how much she knew about me, so I could gradually come out to her. I applaud her school for sanctioning such a noble endeavor and wish both of you all the success in the world. Hugs, Jill

DonnaT
10-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Tell her you are familiar with certain issues for the LGBT community and would be glad to help with anything you can. Maybe it will lead to a good discussion on the T in LGBT, which is usually not well represented in such groups.

docrobbysherry
10-27-2011, 07:21 PM
If MY daughter did that, I would only say ONE WORD. "WHY?"

Nicole Erin
10-27-2011, 07:51 PM
GLBT is but another "clique" in schools these days.

LilSissyStevie
10-27-2011, 08:19 PM
I think maybe someone just came out to you, perhaps in an awkward way, but you're only thinking about yourself.

phone_gal
10-27-2011, 11:23 PM
i honestly wish that when i was in school, there was a GLBT group. that would have helped things so much...aside from me going to a small school. haha

pinklilly211
10-28-2011, 07:31 PM
I realy don't what to think, My dauhter douse have Bi/ gay friends. I just don't know if I should bring me into the conversation yet? what do youall think ? Huggs as usually Lilly

phone_gal
10-29-2011, 11:33 PM
i think you should. it might show kids that it's not a bad thing to be different. that you can't hide who you really are. that it's not wrong to do what makes you happy. and maybe show them that they can be strong too, and stand up for themselves.

AllieSF
10-29-2011, 11:44 PM
I think you need to let your daughter do her thing, support her efforts where you can without being too obvious and then see how it all works out. You will always have a great opening topic for your coming out conversation, so I believe that time is not of the essence and you should only come out to her when you are ready, regardless about what she is doing with the LGBT group. I do believe that the door is really opening up for you and that the chances for your own personal success with coming out to her is improving. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

kynw08
10-30-2011, 03:06 AM
I agree with an above poster.....I think someone just came out to dad and is waiting for the shoe to drop.... it won't be the one she expects either

Babeba
10-30-2011, 09:06 AM
I think that so long as you show your daughter that you love her and are proud of her you're doing the right thing. What does her mother think of that conversation?