PDA

View Full Version : I just an odd thought

Justwanttobeloved
10-26-2011, 10:09 PM
I remember in gym class when i was about 13 and they had a stretch test and the girls always did better then the guys. Has anyone realized they are more flexible or less flexible since you have transitioned from M2F or F2M?

Kind of a weird question but i am a weird person.
-Jerri

kellycan27
10-26-2011, 10:30 PM
I can bite my toe nails if i want to :heehee:

sandra-leigh
10-26-2011, 11:33 PM
I am not more flexible than I was before I started HRT. Less flexible, in fact.

The lowered flexibility does not have anything direct to do with HRT: I have had back difficulties for years, which migrated into an identifiable problem just over a year ago ("sciatica" -- i.e., pinched nerve somewhere that affects from the butt downwards.) I had not started HRT then.

I do not, above, simply disclaim any link between the increased stiffness this year and HRT, because it could be that there is a link. In particular I have put on notable weight since I started HRT (at least 13 pounds, a lot of it at the stomach area), and that extra weight adds to the back strain.

I have not, that I can think of, developed any new inflexibilities since I started HRT, but the extra weight aggravates problems I already had.

Now keep in mind that I am 50, which is long long past the age of childhood bone flexibility.

I can bite some of my toenails if I want to, too, but not always comfortably. But then since I was a child I have sat with my legs crossed much of the time, "indian style", even Full Lotus if I put effort in to it. I am flexible in that way, but not flexible when it comes to bending over. And no way can I put my leg behind my head!

Hope
10-26-2011, 11:52 PM
I never measured my flexibility pre-HRT, but one of the things that HRT DOES do is reduce the amount of muscle mass a person has. It would be reasonable to suggest that less muscle would easily translate into increased flexibility. Of course, considering the cramps I get from Spiro... the opposite could be just as likely, but...

Aprilrain
10-27-2011, 07:41 AM
most of us are far to old to be as flexible as teenagers. my hamstrings have always been pretty inflexible (i remember the test you speak of, it was a hamstring test not a flexibility test LOL) but the rest of me is pretty bendy!

Kelly I can get my feet up to my mouth too but WHY!!!!! YUCK!

Zenith
10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm taking ballet next semester, I'll let you know...

Jorja
10-27-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm taking ballet next semester, I'll let you know...
Remember, lots and lots of padding will help!

CharleneT
10-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Hope may be right - or - it doesn't matter. HRT does do a lot, but I doubt it changes the looseness of your ligaments (what usually makes us "flexible"). Of course HRT does major system changes ( such as skin softening ) so who knows.

Great question though ;-) As you loose the muscle mass, probably the ligaments shrink along with it. It is all a big rubber band system of a sort. Kinda self correcting. I would bet that early transition would be a good time to do exercises to loosen up.

Zenith
10-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Remember, lots and lots of padding will help!

Padding? Where? The barre? Not the floor certainly. You can't pad your body, part of the reason for black leotards and light pink tights is so the instructor can see exactly what your muscles are doing...

Maybe inside toe shoes? I doubt I'll be en pointe' for a very long time...

Aprilrain
10-27-2011, 10:34 AM
they use wool in their shoes, My ex-wife took Ballet for a very long time. She was rejected for major parts because her boobs were too big, she's 5'1" and weighed 98 lbs at the time! She said its very hard on your body.

Zenith
10-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Actually there are gel, toe savers, and toepad inserts for pointe shoes now...

http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/ballet/accessories/4L.aspx

Ha, finally a reason to pass on the BA...lol

kellycan27
10-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Hope may be right - or - it doesn't matter. HRT does do a lot, but I doubt it changes the looseness of your ligaments (what usually makes us "flexible"). Of course HRT does major system changes ( such as skin softening ) so who knows.

Great question though ;-) As you loose the muscle mass, probably the ligaments shrink along with it. It is all a big rubber band system of a sort. Kinda self correcting. I would bet that early transition would be a good time to do exercises to loosen up.

IMO I don't believe it has to do with hormones, but rather exercise, and living a healthy and active lifestyle. I have tons of energy. I surf, swim, run, walk, ride dirt bikes, motorcycles, eat eat healthy and drink gallons of water. Stretching exercises are part of my daily workout routine. I can sit on the floor, spread my legs, lean forward and touch my chest to the floor, and I can put my foot behind my head ( both with a little help.)
April I can afford to get pedicures so there's no actual need to bite my toe nails..:heehee: My statement was a testament to flexibility.

Kelly

Jorja
10-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Padding? Where? The barre? Not the floor certainly. You can't pad your body, part of the reason for black leotards and light pink tights is so the instructor can see exactly what your muscles are doing...

Maybe inside toe shoes? I doubt I'll be en pointe' for a very long time...

Actually, I ment padding on your butt, knees and elbows for when you drop from exhaustion....... ballet is hard!

Starling
10-29-2011, 08:38 PM
HRT may help, but so far I can only bite my toenail clippings.

:heehee: Lallie

Traci Elizabeth
10-29-2011, 09:52 PM
I can apply my eye shadow, eye liner, mascara and brow liner with my toes (LOL). Can you do that????????

sandra-leigh
10-29-2011, 10:42 PM
I can apply my eye shadow, eye liner, mascara and brow liner with my toes (LOL). Can you do that????????

Yes, if you aren't too particular about where they are applied :D

My wife gets bothered when-ever I pick something up with my toes and bring it up to my hands instead of bending over to pick it up. Too ape-like or something like that...

Amber99
10-30-2011, 03:28 AM
Yes, if you aren't too particular about where they are applied :D

My wife gets bothered when-ever I pick something up with my toes and bring it up to my hands instead of bending over to pick it up. Too ape-like or something like that...

Ha, I do this too. Although I probably won't now that somebody has brought up that it is apelike. I really don't like apes.

Inna
10-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Well, as a young teen I trained in KARATE, and as the result I have become, flexible, powerful, jumping, spinning in the air kind of teenager (helped me deal with my anger bottled up as a result of GID.....or did it?)
It is amazing however that at the age of 45 I can bite my toe nails too, I can scratch all of my back with my hands (not feet.... sorry to be disappointing here) I can wear 5 1/2" heels with the ease of a runway super model, and sway my hips like JLO (well, I know......no one can do that as well as she does, but I do come close):doh:

Karren H
10-30-2011, 09:15 AM
I can bite my toe nails if i want to :heehee:

I could bite yours too! :)

Aprilrain
10-30-2011, 09:33 AM

Kelly's cute but not THAT cute!

Debglam
10-30-2011, 11:43 AM

No but mine just looks that way! :heehee:

I think that the muscle mass - HRT issue is the only thing related to trans that would affect flexibility. I am a pretty hardcore cyclist and on a related note, I understand that post-SRS women need women's cycling clothing because the clothing is designed according to what "gear" you have or don't have, BUT would still use bikes designed for men because the bikes are designed according to hip geometry which wouldn't change.

CharleneT
10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
I can scratch the back of my head with my toes ;)

No kidding, I've always been able to put both legs behind my head - at the same time.

Since my surgeries, I have not tried this, maybe I should, could it be that I can now put all three behind my head ??? :D

kellycan27
10-30-2011, 01:53 PM

That does it! I am gonna burn all of my jeans.:daydreaming:

April nener nener nener! :battingeyelashes:

CaptLex
10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Now that you mention it, I AM less flexible post-transition . . . but that probably has to do more with age. :p

Starling
10-31-2011, 02:51 PM
It's getting a little warm in here.

:) Lallie