PDA

View Full Version : Theatere roles

SweetTransvestite
10-27-2011, 03:39 AM
Just curious on if other members have played crossdressed roles in the theater.

I'm on my second role right now (I'll skip the details incase a Google search accidentally links castmembers to my offstage counterpart :o) For someone so deep in the closet (me)-I find it a nice way of expressing myself and getting to dress in the open (plus it supports my fave career and my fave reason for dressing anyways). Aside from my love for musical theatere in general, it's also nice to have an excuse for body hair removal and whatnot (for as long as the play lasts at least). It feels great to get that freedom of being femme that I'm sealed off from at home.

Only disadvantage that'll get to me sometimes is having to hold back any signs of my actual crossdressing from the others just in case anyone gets the wrong idea. Especially when I feel like what I say could support the show (i.e.:already having wigs/heels of my own, not minding cosmetic changes) but I manage by thinking about what it means in the long run anyway. :)

Anyhow-just curious on if any other members have done it past or present.

Cynthia Anne
10-27-2011, 04:30 AM
Never done it! But wow! It sounds like fun! I wouldn't be able to 'hold back' and would let them think what they want! But that's just me! Have fun! Hugs!

SarahLynn
10-27-2011, 09:44 AM
Why not apply for some the other female parts too. That way you get to do your crossdressing all the time. liSupporting actress roles is what i have in mind. Heck then you can dress for work and tell everyone you are just practicing for your theater role.

SarahLynn; who had no acting abilities.

TGMarla
10-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Only disadvantage that'll get to me sometimes is having to hold back any signs of my actual crossdressing from the others just in case anyone gets the wrong idea.

Or the right idea, in your case! I glean from your name that you're a fan of Rocky Horror. Terrific musical. But a farce, of course, involving men (and women) in fishnets and corsets. And they made Frank n Furter very gay, which is not usually the case with crossdressers. However, some are, of course, and it works well for the musical.

I am involved in local theater. I have a major role in an upcoming show, in fact. But like you, I'm not going to disclose the details, or anyone could out me in five minutes or less. I've never played a crossdressed role, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about doing one if the opportunity arose. This has more to do with family than it does me. I was outed by my late step-son and his idiot cousin, who's intellectual deficiency lent itself to malicious and hurtful behavior. No one in the family ever confronted me or ridiculed me about it, and over time, my wife came to accept it, as long as I kept it under wraps. She was very hurt and embarrassed by it, and I don't much blame her for that.

So if I were to accept a crossdressed role, it would open old wounds that have mostly healed by now. I don't want to do that, so I guess I'd pass on it.

docrobbysherry
10-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Interesting post, Sweet! However, u don't have to be on stage to perform fem roles!

I visited Disneyland the other nite and got into my "Dorothy" character! If you've never tried acting a fem character but thot about it, I strongly suggest the experience to anyone!

Michaella
10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Have not, but would love to. I've done a lot of other parts, once did a fairly steamy gay sex scene on stage, and have worn a lot of pretty outlandish costumes, but never that. There's a friend of mine saying she might write a play with such a part for me, but I think it will not happen.

Michaella

SweetTransvestite
10-27-2011, 02:28 PM
It's nice to hear all the responses. The Disney thing sounds fun! I'd so rock a Tiana or Cinderella getup. I'll actually be heading back to Orlando in August 2012. Ha and yes-my first role was indeed in Rocky Horror (albeit not as Frank-n-Furter but I did get to dance in the corset/fishnet combination for the Floor Show :-)).

This is one of my fave clips of someone playing the char I'm playing now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN2wLse8AAE

I believe the reason for my full not coming out to the others involved is really the environment is still not much for it. Call it Spring Hill, or the fact that to them it's just another role out of the dozens instead of a lifestyle but during TRHS I was the only male not complaining about the costumes-and they hated everything about them (even the one cast as Frank). If not that it was the usual stereotypical thoughts about crossdressing. I do remember an awkward silence when I let it slip that it wasn't my first time wearing a garterbelt-that kind of set the grounds for the present. I think some subconsciously caught on though-one loved to talk to me about her drag queen friend-I think she was trying to get a confession out of me during the run. (lol)

Ironically enough, family's kept mostly neutral (except for angry phonecalls from my aunt and cousin during the run of Rocky Horror). Grandma's still not happy about anything to do with CDing offstage so I haven't been able to swing it into her being more accepting outside the play but she loves to see me singing regardless-which at least feels like one step up from the angry rants beforehand. Confusing really-lol.

At any rate, I'm happy and that's all that counts. :) I have this side life goal of playing all the ones I can. Angel, Hedwig, etc.

I also have an interview with public access today about the role-I'm as excited about that as I am nervous (talk about timing-this is the first time actors have been interviewed as far as I know), but I'll steer clear of accidentally veering off course. :heehee:

Jorja
10-27-2011, 02:49 PM
I have never played a role as a female in a theatrical production. However, I have been a winning female partner of several ballroom dancing contest. Does that count?

GBJoker
10-27-2011, 02:57 PM
I am seriously considering doing a drama or acting class when I transfer to a real college, partly for the chance to dress up in public and force myself to be in front of BILLIONS upon TRILLIONS of people while doing so... But also because apparently, I'm pretty good at acting. Especially the crazy people roles... Like... I dunno... Just picking at random here... The Joker, for example.

AllieSF
10-27-2011, 03:05 PM
I think that is a great outlet for your talents, both of them, acting and dressing. Here in San Francisco there are several theater groups that do a lot of LGBT themed plays and shows. I have seen several including, Act a Lady, and last year Tales of the City. Keep up the good work and enjoy your capabilities. I wish I could do what you do. Alas, I am doomed to be an "enjoyer" of the arts and an "admirer" of the artists. Thanks for sharing.

HannahF6
10-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I've not done that, but the question brought back to my memory a performance of "The Importance of Being Earnest" that was put on by the theatre group at my high school, this would have been 50 years ago. I was at a boys-only school and the play has some very girly parts in it, played in this performances by boys I knew. It was a riot. In fact thinking about it afterwards I realised that Oscar Wilde wrote this wonderful play to be satirical of British upper class twits. It was never meant to be serious and having boys play the parts of these very girly girls, like Gwendolen and Cecily, is actually rather appropriate.

I remember laughing uncontrollably.

Hannah

SweetTransvestite
11-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Ah congratulations Jorja-I'd certainly count that. :-) Stuff in San Fran sounds interesting too, seems there's a lot more there (definitely an aspiration to expand to).

So yeah-we had our fifth show today (they've all been full houses btw :)) and boy has it been amazing. I'm so surprised (ESPECIALLY because of the costume design and lack of breast forms) and delighted by the amount of audience members who continue to not read me. So far there's always only been that two or three whom can. I felt SO good about a comment that came from an expert in female impersonation (who's good at being able to tell, etc.). He's the sibling of the woman who plays Roxie and said to their mother during the play, "I thought a man was supposed to play Mary Sunshine, why'd they change it?" Doesn't get much more top-tier than that. Ironic thing is, the cast constantly reassures me that people thinking I'm a GG is not an insult-of course it's not an insult to someone like me! :) It means a lot to me to pass in this role, given my preceding lack of confidence (and boy did I spend 5 intense months working on that speaking voice). This feels likes a dream come true-I'm only saddened by the fact that the show will end by November 20th.

Okay *pokes pin in head to deflate ego* back to normal, non-theater, closeted life.

Jonianne
11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Actually, it doesn't count for Jorja - she has been transitioned for years! :tongueout

But she does bring up a point for you, how about taking dancing, ballroom or otherwise, enfemme? You probably can find an adult class that would work.