PDA

View Full Version : Effects of wearing high heels

pantyhoselover
10-27-2011, 06:13 AM
I try to wear heels when dressed up. I have read about how heels change how one walks, and also how they change one's leg muscles. Anyone noticed changes from extensive heel wear? Good or bad?

Karren H
10-27-2011, 06:25 AM
The only change I've seen is I'm taller when I wear them. And I can see further. Both are short term effects. And are gone the next morning.

I've been wearing heels for decades and I have more issues from wearing ice skates than heels.

jillleanne
10-27-2011, 06:36 AM
They thin the leg and build the muscle. Now the bad: they are not good for the health of your feet longterm. Neither are birthdays so what does it all mean anyway?

Samantha W
10-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Although I have nice calves, my legs are on the short, stocky side. 4 or 5 more inches makes a huge difference.
If I put some serious mileage on in a day my feet will be sore, but that’s all I‘ve ever noticed.

pantyhoselover
10-27-2011, 06:49 AM
The only change I've seen is I'm taller when I wear them. And I can see further. Both are short term effects. And are gone the next morning.

I've been wearing heels for decades and I have more issues from wearing ice skates than heels.

Karen,
LOL, I have noticed they change my perspective. Feeling taller and more feminine.

Sally24
10-27-2011, 07:08 AM
If you were to wear them 24/7 (when would you sleep!) there could be bad effects. My wife works with senior citizens and some of the ladies who worked in the 40's and 50's have shortened their muscles by wearing high heels all of their lives. They can't wear flats now because of the shortened calf muscles. That is an extreme that most of us here won't have to worry about.

Other than cramping the morning after wearing high heels I find very little problem myself.

Cynthia Anne
10-27-2011, 07:10 AM
The only affects I've notice they help me take smaller steps! And thats more femin' They are more dangerous on ice! And for Karren I beleive I would stick with skates while skateing!!:eek::D

pinto
10-27-2011, 07:14 AM
My wife works with senior citizens and some of the ladies who worked in the 40's and 50's have shortened their muscles by wearing high heels all of their lives. They can't wear flats now because of the shortened calf muscles. That is an extreme that most of us here won't have to worry about.

Other than cramping the morning after wearing high heels I find very little problem myself.

Don't the muscles lengthen again after wearing flats for some time?

suzy1
10-27-2011, 07:15 AM
I have not noticed any changes.
But walking in heels defiantly makes you walk more girly. But they even make GG girls walk more girly too!

SUZY

Stitch
10-27-2011, 09:01 AM
They make my feet hurt :cry: I wore a pair of my favourite boots into town on a date with my boyfriend yesterday and it feels like I've pulled something in my left foot. I don't even wear them extensively.

*grumbles*

sterling12
10-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Yeah, what Sally said.....ditto! Some women get the same effect by dancing in heels for many years. The Calve Muscles shorten, and they have to even have heels on their casual shoes. And Pinto, I imagine if that effect takes many years to shorten the muscles, it would probably take many years to undo what had been done. The Gals tell me that they are just plain uncomfortable in Flats, so why live with The Pain?

Course, if your an Old Lady in A Nursing Home....High Heels might cause just a wee' bit of a balance problem in old age. Can't imagine them, when your pushing around a Walker!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Helen Grandeis
10-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I love my heels. I love how they feel and how they look. But if you wear them 8 hours a day 5 days a week they can promote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis - according to my podiatrist.

HannahF6
10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
My legs certainly look better when I wear heels. In flats they look masculine and I walk masculine.

Hannah

ErikaFunGirl
10-27-2011, 06:46 PM
They have definitely strengthened my calfs!

docrobbysherry
10-27-2011, 06:55 PM
I prefer 4" to 5" heels. And, if u have a pair that doesn't fit PERFECTLY, and u wear them for a long period, your toes will HURT! Or, mine do anyway!:doh:

I find walking and standing, (especially), for long periods r VERY hard on my back.:sad:
Unless I'm wearing about 4"+ heels. Then, my back seems to be quite pain free for however long I'm on them.:D

Which often depends on how much pain my toes r in!:eek:

Vanessa5
10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
My feet are flat as a pancake and wearing modest heels seems to remove some of the aches. I don't get to wear them often but when I do my feet legs and back feel better!

bellini
10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Love heels - but agree with you

KellyJameson
10-27-2011, 07:09 PM
I try to buy quality instead of quantity when it comes to heels because I value comfort first and style second in the hopes I will avoid any long term consequences other than breaking my neck trying to run in them . There is nothing like the sound of walking on hardwood or stone flooring in heels, a very sexy and distinct sound, particularly if you can find a place where it echos and it is night out. Lone woman walking through the deserted city streets kind of effect.

Diane Smith
10-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Wearing heels has definitely strengthened my calves, ankles and the arches of my feet. A little hard on the toes sometimes, though -- calluses, the occasional blister, and I have to watch carefully for ingrown toenails. Regular pedicures help.

I became a "most of the time" heel wearer about nine years ago after I broke my left foot and found that a modest (3") heel was more comfrotable for walking on it while it mended. I still tell that story but leave it up to the listener to figure out how I got from there to the 4-1/2" spikes I usually wear now.

- Diane

Intertwined
10-28-2011, 12:53 AM
At the end of most every day, after wearing work shoes or tennis shoes all day, I have lower back pain. BUT, if I wear my heels, most of which are 5 inch, I have NO back pain at all, honestly don't know why. I do have odd body proportions, I am 6 foot 2 inches tall, with only a 31 inch inseam, long back and short legs

kundthu1
10-28-2011, 03:12 AM
Heels improves my feminine posture and walk, But I am not comfortable wearing them over a length of time

Clueless
10-28-2011, 04:37 AM
I've heard a rumor that wearing high heels too much can shorten your Achilles tendons over time. No idea if that's true or not.

jillleanne
10-28-2011, 07:32 AM
High heels should change the way you walk. The following is based on wearing heels for hours out and about, not in the living room of your house; BIG difference. First of all, men take large steps naturally and women do not, even in flats. So, when walking in heels, you should mentally note to yourself not to walk in large strides but rather short steps if you do not want to look like a raging wife about to tackle a cheating husband in the act.
Secondly, if you are wearing say a 4-7 inch heeled shoe without a platform( if you even can or want to) out in public, you will notice your foot will tend to slide forward in the shoe making you want to walk on the ball and toes of your foot, rather than the heel. This effect until perfected will tend to pull the shoulders forward giving you an awkward walk. You should mentally note it and step back in the shoe to apply your weight to the heel, pulling your shoulders back and making the walk more natural looking not to mention relieving the pressure from the forward part of your foot. That's the part that likes being rubbed when you get home from a long day shopping/dining in heels. Ask any woman.

Meg East
10-28-2011, 07:48 AM
My podiatrist recommends 1 1/2 to 2 inch heels for me. As long as the heels aren't too tall they keep my feet from hurting. I am a cancer survivor with a lot of chemo induced never damage. Good reason to buy more shoes.

Karren H
10-28-2011, 07:58 AM
The only affects I've notice they help me take smaller steps! And thats more femin' They are more dangerous on ice! And for Karren I beleive I would stick with skates while skateing!!:eek::D

Well I don't know. Last year before a hockey game I put my skates on like normal. Got dresssed and went out to hit the ice. Took one step and a big stride as I entered the rink... Fell flat on my face!! The entire team stopped and started clapping. Couple gave me a perfect 10!! I looked down and I had left my soakers on the blades (blade guards/wicks water away).... I've never even come close to falling wearing heels!! Lol.

Sarasometimes
10-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Heels definitely make my wlk more femme! It is tough to take a macho stride or stance in 3+inch heels. As for effects from wearing them for long time periods, I think you need to be full time to experience those effects. Also it depends on the individual. I know GG's who wear 4 inch heels all day and they are hairdressers who stand almost all day and they have no complaints! One told my that since she is short, if she waers heels her taller clients don't need to scrunch down in the chair. Now that is putting your clients first! She also looks super hot in her zebra pumps!!