PDA

View Full Version : OK voice stuck any way of getting back to male faster?

rebekkadg
10-30-2011, 05:54 AM
OK, I was working on my voice a bit and seemed to have overexerted my voice box a little too much. Now I am stuck in fem mode voice I have heard of this happening so I am not overly concerned about it being able to get back to male voice, what I am wondering if there is any way to speed the process along or if I just have to wait for my vocal cords to get some rest and feel like moving from where they are opperating right now?

Been working on the voice for about an 2 hours (interspaced over about 3 different sessions) for the day for the last month and this is the first time getting stuck has come up. It is only in the last few days I have even been able to talk in fem steadily without feeling I am trying to "maintain" anything.

marlaNYC
10-30-2011, 07:06 AM
i don't know how you'd get back but i'm interested if it's a program you're following and where you found it. care to share?

rebekkadg
10-30-2011, 07:18 AM
No real program that I am following. I have looked up just about everything I can read on the internet and listened to and watched many guides to developing a female voice. For the first few weeks I was pushing my voice up and trying different voices while holding a hand to my vocal cords to see where I was vibrating. Over the last week or two I no longer have to do as much playing around with my voice to get it to use the right areas of my vocal cords and doing different voices is more tweaking than anything else as I can get a feminine sound (good or bad) fairly quickly now. I sit and just talk for a bit in fem reciting tongue twisters (suzzie sells sea shells by the sea shore) or counting or pretending to have a conversation with someone about the progress with my voice. I do this while driving to work (about 30 minutes) at lunch (another hour), and on the drive home from work (another 30 minutes) days off a little less when I have times I am not doing anything else.
Anyway. Was definitely doing well with a fem voice today but wanted to raise the pitch a little higher and apparantly put too much effort in it and made myself a bit hoarse and could tell my vocal cords were tired. Since I was still talking in fem when I did this I wasn't able to get them to move right back into masculane voice range. Luckily this happened on the ride home from work and not the trip to work or lunch break.

AllieSF
10-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't know. I just saw a video on voice training posted by Melody Moore today. The lady had to really clear her voice to get back to her old male voice to give an example of how she started training with a TG experienced voice coach. Maybe clearing your throat a few times or coughing will relax your vocal chords and let you return to normal quicker. Good luck. I know some here who would love to have your problem!

SherriePall
10-30-2011, 03:10 PM
I remember reading a website once where the girl was in the middle of transitioning. She was femme at work, but changed to drab at home because of the children and her soon-to-be ex.
She wrote about trying different methods to get that femme voice and one day she got it down pat. She used it all day at work and when she got home she could not change her voice back. Her wife accused her of doing it on purpose. So, there she was en drab but with a femme voice she could not undo.
Long story short, she finally got her drab voice back and, fortunately, remembered how she found her femme voice. All ended well.

So, good luck. By now you have probably unstuck your femme voice.

eluuzion
10-30-2011, 03:42 PM
You can overwork your vocal "muscles" just like any other areas of your body. Particularly when you are trying to alter their natural function. Singers and public speakers all have their little tricks to recover. Most are just variations of typical medical advice. Rest and gargling or swallowing this or that. Honey etc.

Check some of the sites/forums with voice topics...singing etc. You will find lots of "tricks".

In the mean time you could attach a furniture clamp to the front of your pants. At least people would stop asking you why your voice is so high...:D

good luck,:hugs:

:love:

docrobbysherry
10-30-2011, 05:55 PM
My mother warned me about making "funny faces" when I was a kid. That eventually my face would get stuck that way!

Maybe what she meant was "funny voices"?

rebekkadg
10-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Voice did get unstuck after a few hours. Told my wife about my little incendent and she thought it was funny. Tried my voice out as it stands to my wife and she says I am talking through my nose too much, something I agree with. She suggested getting nose plugs for when I am practicing as I tend to have an issue with talking through my nose when I talk from the head rather than the chest. I get a few words out correctly as I am adjusting without talking through my nose but when I drop down to speaking voice that talking through the nose starts up again. Still work in progress but definitely progress. Considering I have only been at it for a month or so I definitely can't complain, a few more months hopefully and I will get it down (without the voice stuck issues).

linda allen
10-31-2011, 06:49 AM
If you get stuck and can't get your male voice back for a while and have to talk, whisper and say "I lost my voice." It happens to people now and then.