PDA

View Full Version : Once You Transition, This is How You Should Act & What You Have to Look Forward To:

Traci Elizabeth
10-31-2011, 02:34 PM
For all of you who have transitioned, here is how you need to act:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/grandpotter/Housewife.jpg

Bree-asaurus
10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
hehehehehehehehehehehehe

AllieSF
10-31-2011, 02:43 PM
This article is one of the many reasons that I am very happy that life moves on, people and cultures change and personal liberties and rights are further clarified and enforced. It does make for a good humorous read though.

karanne
10-31-2011, 02:46 PM
You mean I'm not supposed to be June Cleaver?

I wonder if I can get my job back - I'm sure he'll understand ...

Kathryn Martin
10-31-2011, 05:29 PM
I am not so sure this a laughing matter at all. When you get to completion you might find that much of what is part of this 1955 article is still part of the social structures that we live in. Just ask women born woman, and women down the road from surgery.

This is why the hard work begins after surgery. And hardly anyone ever thinks about that. Because if you don't you might end up living forever in the ghetto of gender limbo.

Bree-asaurus
10-31-2011, 05:48 PM
I am not so sure this a laughing matter at all. When you get to completion you might find that much of what is part of this 1955 article is still part of the social structures that we live in. Just ask women born woman, and women down the road from surgery.

This is why the hard work begins after surgery. And hardly anyone ever thinks about that. Because if you don't you might end up living forever in the ghetto of gender limbo.

I find it's good to find humor in as much as possible, including our own misfortune. I have enough sad shit in my life, I need to laugh when I can. I've only hit the tip of the iceberg and I have already seen the difference in how men treat me. I'm not oblivious to how women are still treated today.

Zenith
10-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh HELL NO...(Jimmy Fallon voice)...I'm much more like Laura Croft or Sigourney Weaver...lol

ReineD
10-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Oh good lord. A GG posted this a while back and we all had a good laugh. :p

Still, it's almost exactly the advice my mother gave me a few years after I was married. She had been a young housewife in the 50s. I said, "Yes, Mom", and then rolled my eyes. This was in the 70s when I was earning almost as much as my husband, which enabled us to be mortgage free before I was 30.

Edit ... OK, I've got to be honest and finish the story. After there was no mortgage, we had our kids and I stayed home. And slowly, very slowly, almost imperceptibly, over the years I became overly dependent on him financially and emotionally as I buried myself in the wife and mother identity and lost my own sense of self. This little tidbit encapsulates what I mean: I did get to the point after the divorce and the kids were gone, where I had no clue what I wanted to eat when I went to the grocery store, since I had spent my life cooking for them and their tastes. I was devastated when I found myself alone.

A loss of identity is rather common for stay-at-home women. But I didn't bring the ex slippers and drinks when he came home from work. He helped with the kids, the dinners, and cleaning up afterwards.

JohnH
10-31-2011, 06:12 PM
For all of you who have transitioned, here is how you need to act:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/grandpotter/Housewife.jpg

Even though I have not transitioned, with my being unemployed and my wife working, that article hits a bit too close to home! My wife expects me to have a meal prepared when she comes home.

Last statement as it applies to me: A good boywife always knows his place.

Johanna

Sally24
10-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Bear in mind that this was over 50 years ago and that many if not most of the women reading this were housewives. It was their job to do the cooking, and cleaning. Catering to the husband was a good thing too. Being subservient though and not interacting as an equal was a big weakness in the culture of the time. In the late 50's there were already the beginnings of change by many of the women who had worked during the wars and didn't want to go back to depending on men for their money and careers.

It is amusing to watch some of the infomercials (read propaganda) of the times showing the housewives beaming as they cleaned while in their high heels and house dresses. While things were different then, they weren't that different! LOL

Debglam
10-31-2011, 10:23 PM
I find it's good to find humor in as much as possible, including our own misfortune. I have enough sad shit in my life, I need to laugh when I can.

Amen sister, amen!

IMHO, if you can maintain your sense of humor you are way ahead of the curve!

Debby

Melody Moore
10-31-2011, 10:39 PM
I find it's good to find humor in as much as possible, including our own misfortune.
Ok then, quit nagging about it, just know your place and just be a good housewife, it
is quite serious business you know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Wife%27s_Guide

:smug: :heehee:

Suzette Muguet de Mai
10-31-2011, 11:11 PM
I remember my grandmother being like that, the backbone of the family.
Pause...... awaiting the feminists. Yooo Hooo, calling the feminists?

Aprilrain
10-31-2011, 11:54 PM
wow that is some seriously f#$%@$ up shit!!!

morgan51
11-01-2011, 12:20 AM

I agree with April. Thats really messed up , too real; I was a kid in the 50s and yes it really was messed up. Some things haven't changed all that much, too bad.

Melody Moore
11-01-2011, 03:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIKsQ127BWM

nikkijo
11-01-2011, 04:02 AM
hehehehehehehehehehehehe

i take it bree is just a hint sassier than that...lol

noeleena
11-01-2011, 05:03 AM
Hi,

I can in some ways laugh at this tho in the real world it did not happen from 1947 on for us, pure hell would be more like it, two husbands down two of us kids 1 / 2 kids at that & 19 years difference. & add another one as well 22 years older,

My Mum had to work with out a husband , home life was sure not like that, for one of my brothers, the other iv no idear or ever will. & to be very honist im glad i never had a father, to me its a propargander dream that never worked,

That clip is about the man & the woman pandering to his wonts & ....needs...yeap no wonder we stand on our own feet to day. we can have a life purpose & not be a slave or be walked over , tho many men dont accept that, the same victorin attatude,
we as woman are nothing more than chattels or things to be used, at a will.

Im not a feminist yet i dont subscribe to that, marrage is a two way give & take not a one way take all.

This is how you should act, after transition .......not on your life.......he he ........,

...noeleena...

Amber99
11-01-2011, 06:03 AM

Seriously, it's disturbingly awful.

kristinacd55
11-01-2011, 06:08 AM
The year I was born....figures! That guide is TOOOO funny :), but scary as well :(

Traci Elizabeth
11-01-2011, 08:08 AM
I posted the article to add some humor in our lives but I know that was both of my grandmother's and my mom's reality.

Even today most men expect some version of this submission. After all, what was one of James Brown's most popular songs which he also sung with Luciano Pavarotti...."It's A Man's World!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Febr_t_qa9U

ReineD
11-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Pavarotti & James Brown, two great talents!

We all know what James Brown is singing, but if anyone's interested here's a translation of the Pavarotti lyrics:

L’uomo rincorre il potere ma

Lui non sa

Che il grande limiti ad essere come si parrÃ* 

Nel palmo stringe un’idea che non vive

Che nella sua fantasia

Volle…

Se non si accorge che poi

Nulla ha più senso te 

Si vive solo per sè

Translation:
Man runs after power but

He doesn’t know

The great limitations he places upon himself

In his fist (selfishly) he holds onto an idea

An idea that is alive

Only in his fantasy;

(still) he runs…

And he doesn’t see that

All this makes no sense

If he lives only for himself

DebbieL
11-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Women have come so far since 1955. How far have men really come?

Starling
11-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I think most men have gotten a lot better.

:) Lallie

Eryn
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM

I guess we now know our place. Not all of us are content to stay in that place so we crossdress.

Traci Elizabeth
11-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Pavarotti & James Brown, two great talents!

We all know what James Brown is singing, but if anyone's interested here's a translation of the Pavarotti lyrics:

L’uomo rincorre il potere ma

Lui non sa

Che il grande limiti ad essere come si parrÃ* 

Nel palmo stringe un’idea che non vive

Che nella sua fantasia

Volle…

Se non si accorge che poi

Nulla ha più senso te 

Si vive solo per sè

Translation:
Man runs after power but

He doesn’t know

The great limitations he places upon himself

In his fist (selfishly) he holds onto an idea

An idea that is alive

Only in his fantasy;

(still) he runs…

And he doesn’t see that

All this makes no sense

If he lives only for himself

WOW! Your translation is great. Did you do that yourself or got it from translating software?

ReineD
11-01-2011, 09:35 PM
WOW! Your translation is great. Did you do that yourself or got it from translating software?

I'm fluent in French (it's my native language), and I used to be fluent in Spanish, before it got all muddled with the Italian I learned casually in my 20s. But no, it's not my translation. I was not happy with translating software so I looked around for an article that translated it with some authority. I didn't agree with a few of their words so inserted my own.

When I heard him sing in the video, it made me cry and sent me off on a beautiful hour of revisiting with Pavarotti on youtube. What a remarkable man. I'm sad that he's gone.

Does anyone here know Italian to improve on the translation we have so far?

They've come very far too! They've accepted women as equals in the work force (more or less :p), and they no longer insist on a gendered labor division at home. :)

Melody Moore
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
They've come very far too! They've accepted women as equals in the work force (more or less :p), and they no longer insist on a gendered labor division at home. :)
I wouldn't say that women have come very far at all - as always women have been put in their place as sexual objects to be used
only for the gratification and satisfaction of men - the video Miss Representation (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?162735-Miss-Representation-on-OWN) really hammers that point home. If you haven't
seen this video, PM me and I will give you details of where you can download the full movie. So I feel not much has changed really. :(

I also notice the loss of male privilege since transitioning which as you know we have already discussed in depth previously.

Here is a link to the other thread where I posted a trailer of the movie so some people here will have some idea about what I am talking about..

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?162878-Once-You-Transition-This-is-How-You-Should-Act-amp-What-You-Have-to-Look-Forward-To&p=2643609&viewfull=1#post2643609

Traci Elizabeth
11-01-2011, 11:05 PM
When I heard him sing in the video, it made me cry and sent me off on a beautiful hour of revisiting with Pavarotti on youtube. What a remarkable man. I'm sad that he's gone.

I feel the same way!

ReineD
11-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Melody, we can't deny that the gender gap in the developed nations has decreased since the 50s, at least in terms of education, jobs, and the division of household labor, even though I agree there still are pockets in which women are being objectified. But, women are also quite capable of refusing to allow the media to influence them, and they can and do stand up for themselves when they encounter sexual discrimination.

Change doesn't happen overnight. But, we are well on our way.

Melody Moore
11-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Change doesn't happen overnight. But, we are well on our way.

Hahaha, not in our lifetime it won't. Go watch the full video, it explains how given the current rate of
change it's going to take about 500 years to have equality and to be fairly represented in government.

noeleena
11-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Hi.

For some of us Women we have come a long way from the Victorian age yet there are many i work with who have been ....SUBJECTED....abuse. & in one case im working with its been 13 years of being used abused & kicked & beaten up & will take her a long time to over come her inner fear's lack of self esteem confidence self worth & be able to stand on her own two feet in meeting issues in a way she can handle them . & it goes back to , The im at fault im to blame i caused this to happen . sorry to say many ....MEN....have not & will not get it we dont have to be treated in this way.

I have to much experance in this field to know what is happening & has happened, & my background goes back 54 years of it & when i was born. 64 years ago.

I wont say .....ALL..... men are like this just too many are,

i was talking with her just a few hours ago . so its a very close subject to myself & in how i work with other women & as a woman you understand what its like & what..... WE.... go through. or have to.

...noeleena...