PDA

View Full Version : long or short male hair

grace52
11-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Just . wondering how many have long male hair, I just started letting hair grow after 20yrs of short hair. I really like my hair long, just harder to tuck under wig. I use my playing music as my excuse for letting grow out.

Karren H
11-01-2011, 03:15 PM
And you assume that we all have hair? Lol.

kimdl93
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Mine is moderate length - I was able to get it styled in a fairly feminine manner. But I lacked the skills to replicate it reliably on my own. Besides, I noticed that the thinning area in the back was still visible...So, I bought a wig!

Lorileah
11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
my forehead has been increasing for 30 years and is now on the back of my head. However I have a 30 inch ponytail. :)

Stephanie47
11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
I have a choice! Grey wig or the Yul Brenner look. I'll go with the wig.

josee
11-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I've been letting mine grow. It is about shoulder length in back and to the bottom of my nose in front. It is pretty straight. Now I just need to figure out how to style it in a feminine style.

SmileS12
11-01-2011, 04:27 PM
I have very thick hair that I normally always say, I got Elvis beat in the hair department. But seriously, I keep my hair cropped short, because I enjoy the net and wigs, changing looks on a whim. Although my long wig that is on my profile, and avatar is my fav.

Toodles,
Eve

TGMarla
11-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Mine used to be long. Hmm....and it used to be brown, too! But it started falling out about fifteen years ago, and turned gray at the same time. So now I keep it kinda short. Wigs wear better that way anyway.

LeaP
11-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Two words - "buzz cut". Once the top thinned, that was that.

Lea (feels like I should sign this one with my given name ...)

Taylor Dame
11-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Gee, I wish I had enough hair to even think about it. I don't think I'd grow it very long even if I had the choice.

josee
11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm lucky to have great hair genes. My dad just turned 80 and he still has a full head of hair.

joanna marie
11-01-2011, 06:18 PM
I started growing mine out about 18 months ago
it is now down past my shoulders and I love it,
My wife not so much ,but its my hair and as long as I still have some I'm going to enjoy it
I pull it back into a pony tail during the day

Anna Lorree
11-01-2011, 06:31 PM
I have been trying to grown mine out, but I work in uniform. I just got told to get a haircut yesterday. We don't have a grooming policy, but I am pretty sure that if I pushed it we would suddenly have a grooming policy. As such, I'm going to go for an androgynous shorter look. Sigh, but at least it's easier to hide under my wig.

Anna

TracyBoy
11-01-2011, 06:31 PM
I started growing mine out about 18 months ago
it is now down past my shoulders and I love it,
My wife not so much ,but its my hair and as long as I still have some I'm going to enjoy it
I pull it back into a pony tail during the day

I started growing mine out about 18 months ago too- but mine is only down to the bottom of my neck! How do you grow it so fast? Are there some kind of vitamins one can use or something? I know I don't get a lot of sleep each night either. Does that make a difference?

Anna Lorree
11-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I started growing mine out about 18 months ago too- but mine is only down to the bottom of my neck! How do you grow it so fast? Are there some kind of vitamins one can use or something? I know I don't get a lot of sleep each night either. Does that make a difference?

Yes, lack of sleep matters. As for what to take, I take Biotin. Many GG's and TG's have suggested it.

Anna

Debb
11-01-2011, 07:09 PM
I've been letting mine grow out for some time. Recently I had a hair cut (just cutting off the ends, really), and the lady didn't quite get it right .. a little too short on top, which helps the slightly thinner area have hair standing up, but it made me think again about shaving it and just wearing wigs.

I do like having my own hair, though.

NathalieX66
11-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm 11 months without a haircut, with the exceptions of getting the split ends nipped.
Right now it's just ok, but I don't feel comfortable being wigless until 4 or 5 months from now, which is March/April.
I love long hair....it doesn't matter what gender.

Jennifer in CO
11-02-2011, 07:59 AM
other than an occasional trim, mine hasn't been cut in almost 20 years. At one point, it touched my belt when braided, now its about bra-strap length and still crawling up my back!

Jenn

Belinda Gail
11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
I have gone 3yrs now without a cut. It has gotten to about mid back...and I love it.

Tina B.
11-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Two and a half years from shaved head to pony tail down between my shoulder blades, but I also have a very very long forehead, kind of like Ben Franklin when not in a pony tail.
Tina B.

Heisthebride
11-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm lucky to have long thick hair. I grew mine out about 2 years ago, it's at my shoulders and I keep it there now. Just enough for a pony tail if I want.

I always found wigs to be very warm so I'm happy to use my real hair. I also have a couple of clip in pieces that match my color. You can get long clip in extensions or big pony tail type clip ins.

t-girlxsophie
11-02-2011, 12:58 PM
#2 all over,did like to leave a fringe,but alas not enough hair these days lol

theres another sign of getting older,they never ask whether i want gel on anymore

Sophie

Fractured
11-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Last December I had a haircut. The gal who game me the "trim" cut it really short. My response over the next two weeks was "She hacked all my hair off." I let it out until July before getting it cleaned up (during which time a few people asked me if I was going for the hippie look), at which time I asked for a unisex cut and said I was just trying to get the hair cleaned up - I wanted to minimize the amount of length lost.

Currently, the bangs are a bother - they keep getting into my eyes. My hair is curly, though, so even though my bangs reach my mouth when my hair is wet, they reach my nose when dry.

aprilmaeflowers
11-02-2011, 01:23 PM
I've been letting my grow long since the last time I saw my stylist, uhhh about 2 years now. It's nice and long now and I love it. I need to make an appointment for a new style, and color...

Sensei86
11-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Long hair for about 8 years now.

StarrOfDelite
11-02-2011, 02:03 PM

I'm pretty sure it's genetics. Last time I got my hair cut was in early December, 2010. I started out with a business man's side part haircut, and my hair is now down at collar length, doesn't even touch my shoulders. Hair is mostly protein, but I take protein supplements and vitamin pills because I work out 2-3 times a week, and that doesn't seem to affect my rate of hair growth.

I'm fairly sure that lack of sleep affects every body function, so your irregular sleeping habits probably don't help, but the root answer is probably still genetics.

JanetK
11-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I am with Lea. I keep mine short. It is easier to wear my wigs, and if I tried to grow it long my male pattern baldness would interfere with that.

BraVo
11-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Playing music lol
I am for long hair!!! But right now, I've short hair :/

KarenCDFL
11-02-2011, 03:13 PM
I have long hair that I keep in a pony tail that goes down to my mid back but as I have gotten older an it is getting much finer, I still have to use a wig unless I use a lot of "product" and a blow dryer and a curling iron.

Diane Elizabeth
11-02-2011, 10:30 PM
How about I lete my hair grow out after 36 years of short hair cuts (military style mostly). My mother still gives me guff about it. She suggested that I get a nice haircut for my son;s wedding next July. I told her no way. I am standing my ground with this one.

Emma England
11-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Mine is just below shoulder length.

Have thought about cutting it to chin level, but am wanting to grow it down to my bra strap also.
Until I decide, then it will continue to grow!

Sherry Lynn
11-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Long hair is my style and my wife likes it too. Thinning is an issue now but a fall works for going out. Wigs are still worn when I do a drag show.

Cristi
11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
My hair goes half-way down my back, past the band of my bra. As a guy, I just put it back in a ponytail every morning... but when I'm home I usually let it hang free.

The only haircuts I've had for over 10 years now are once every 6 months or so my SO will cut an inch or two off the end just to tidy up things like split ends. My only issues is that my forehead keeps getting bigger... :(

I'm interviewing for a job change soon (in a pretty conservative industry) and will see if they say anything about it. It has never been an issue where I am now.

Ann Thomas
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm in the process of growing mine out now. Haven't had a cut in over six months. Am hoping to get started on the hormone you take to stop the growing bald spot I have (kind of similar to Rogaine, but taken internally).

AddyCD
11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Mine is long and has been for about 3 years now. In male mode I wear it up or down and mostly down when I dress up. What I need to do is get it styled. It is currently just cut straight across the bottom. Maybe next time layers...highlights!?!?!? idk

Jynx
11-05-2011, 02:13 AM
I let mine grow out for 11 months and behind my head it's down to shoulder length, but side is only down to about chin area and front hair is down to upper lip. Now, I'm trying hard to find a good solution to my thick hair behind my head, I don't want to cut them but they look very thick, I have used some argan oil to make it softer, shinier and I've bought some hair straightening chemical, they are all helpful than doing nothing at all.

But now, I'm debating whether I should try this Brazilian Keratin Treatment, it is supposed to make hair straight soft shinny for 3 months and I'm shy to go to salon for such girly hair styling, so I just wonder if anybody know anything about this, since it's definitely not cheap. Straightening flat iron, straightening spray comb/brush are not long term styling, you know I'm very jealous of the girls in my college walk pass away with their soft hair dancing and waving in the mid air while my hair is stiff.

Kritsin
11-05-2011, 02:25 AM
I have short hair but I am thinking about growing it out as my new job does not require me to keep it at a "business length"

Jonianne
11-05-2011, 05:02 AM
I had long hair that I had my stylist keep it in a page style with bangs. I did cut it this past year when my wife was sick and I just did not have the time to deal with it. Angel was disappointed since she was the one who kept after me to let it grow out in the first place. It is a lot of work everyday, to wash and condition it, style it, blowdry, use a round brush and keep it brushed it all day, etc. Now I am letting it grow back again because I miss having it long. It feels good to identify with women in that way, having to tend to it all the time and having the ability to add pretty accessories on my own hair. I hope it grows back soon, before it falls out!

Katie Moore
11-05-2011, 05:14 AM
To grow or not to grow? That is the question. After reading these posts I'm canceling my appointment for Monday to get it cut. I like the look of Gandalf the White!

Sharon B.
11-05-2011, 07:07 AM
This past summer I had decided that I was going to let my hair grow out. I would like to get it style and perm in a feminine style. Yes it turning gray but that has happen all of my life nothing some hair dye won't take care of. There again nothing but hair dye for woman.

LindaC
11-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Been growing mine out for about a year, mostly to hide a hearing aid implant and surgery scars, but the good news is, it's starting to look good. Have to see a stylist real soon.

Heather1
11-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Sharon,
I myself have been getting a women's feminine cuts and hairstyle and color for many years now. I have short hair and during the day i just mouse it and comb it into a mans stlye and no one knows.
Heather1

PretzelGirl
11-06-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm like Cristi. Have it long and ponytail it when out and about in guy mode and let it hang otherwise. Putting it in a tail as a guy and brushing it forward otherwise does give your look some contrast to make up for the lack of contrast that a wig provides.

Mine has just reached the point where if I sit in a tall chair, my back is pressed against my ponytail and I can't move my head. So over the shoulder it goes. I enjoy mine long and even though I am not always happy with my efforts, styling your own hair is an interesting challenge sometimes.

Sarah V
11-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Short here also. Much easier with wigs that way. BTW, staring to experiement and go with some shorter gray colored wigs now.