PDA

View Full Version : Letting my secret out - The Beginning of relief

crystal99
11-03-2011, 12:33 PM
There are many posts on here telling the story, good and bad, about how they told friends, partners or relatives about our kinda need/reflection of self/compulsion/lifestyle/passtime/fetish/longing....whatever you want to call it, and for years I have toyed with the notion, tested the water with many people and tried to tell people but never before actually succeeded, until now, so i thoiught i'd share my story too.

A couple of nights ago I was with a female friend of mine (funny how these stories always seem to incorperate a FEMALE friend) and we are at my house, quite late at night chatting over a bottle of wine and many ciggarettes. My friend recently confided in me about some things and so I went for it knowing, hopeing that if was to tell anybody and it would go well she would be the person, so I went for it.

Now when I say went for it. I tried to say a well constucted explaination but it was as if somebody was pulling on my vocal chords and kicking my brain saying STOP STOP WHAT ARE YOU DOING THIS IS GONNA GO BAD, EVERYBODY WILL KNOW AND THINK YOU'RE WEIRD!!! SO WHAT ACTUALLY CAME OUT WHAT A LOT OF "Right........." "ok..........." "erm..........." "oh my god, ok erm no i cant, never mind........." This went on for a while. My friend had been looking at me pensively and intently for the whole time, giving me words and looks of encouragement and could tell that this was hard for me, she knelt down infront of me, at this point tears were starting to flow down my cheek, She placed her hands to my face, looked me deep in the eyes and said "if you can, tell me, I wont judge you, whatever it is can only be a part of who you are and i'll always love you regardless"

As if the flood barriers broke it all came pouring out. I told her what I have to do, i told her why I had to do it, i told her that this had been with me all my life, about counceling i've had in the past, about confusion of not knowing who i am or wanted to be and how i've overcome that (to some extent) and come to accept myself (at least thus far behind closed doors) we talked for hours and never once was there a sense of her thinking I was weird, that this was wrong or that she saw me in any other way to normal. Amazing.

As soon as we had started to talk I immiediatly felt relief, it all began to make sense and i can honestly say I have never felt so relieved in my life and finally know i have accepted myself and know i am not alone if I need help. I highly recommend it.

But

If you are one of us who has never told a soul I advise caution, choose the person you tell wisely and be prepared for the worst as it could go catastophically wrong but know that if it does, if people shun or reject you, if people change the way they percieve you for the worse then they are not worth having in your life and move on, you will find people willing to accept you for whoever you are wholely.

And if that doesn't happen quick enough you will always have us here Xx

DonnaT
11-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Yes, sometimes it can be a relief, but other times it can cause even more anxiety if you are not sure how the other person will be around you in the future and you wait for the other shoe to drop.

Nancy (PA)
11-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Stop that smoking....

suzy1
11-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Lovely to here that your friend was so nice [A real friend!]

But the warning at the end of your thread is something we all need to keep in mind.
It’s a cruel world out there.

Thanks for a nice post Crystal

SUZY

Barbara Dugan
11-03-2011, 06:56 PM
The only persons I've been out have been my doctors and therapist...no one close to me knows about this side of me....I bet they suspect something but so far nobody has ever mentioned anything

sara.s
11-03-2011, 07:00 PM
I am glad you had the courage to tell her..

(So when is the shopping trip? :battingeyelashes:)

Jonianne
11-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Oh, I know what you went through. It took two sessions with my therapist (and I knew he already knew) before I could tell him and say I was a crossdresser. I tried for 45 minuets saying I.....I.......I.....am......I.....I.

It was like Fonzi on "Happy Days" trying to a....a.....a.....a.....apologize.

Congradulations, sharing with someone and feeling acceptance from them is the begining of self-acceptance.

Cynthia Anne
11-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Your story touches me kind of speacial! I hope you keep feeling relief from telling your friend and that friendship continues to grow! Hugs!

Dixie
11-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story. I hope to find that special friend that I can tell someday. My oldest daughter whom I've only recently met seems to be the only family member that I will ever be able to tell, but I'm taking that one slow. :hugs:

Kylie.K
11-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Stop that smoking....

This made me smile.

Crystal, that is terrific! I'm sending you a big cyber hug! I'm so glad it went so well. I remember telling my wife, before we were married. It is a hard thing to do, but someone who accepts and is supportive is just so incredible to have in your life.

AnitaH
11-03-2011, 10:48 PM
In decades of dressing I have told 4 people about my CD activities. They went well but I agree you must be very careful who you tell, many, perhaps most people will surprise us with how well they accept but the wrong person could cause great trouble. Glad it all went so well for you. This experience should make it easier for you the next time.

AnitaH

crystal99
11-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Yes, sometimes it can be a relief, but other times it can cause even more anxiety if you are not sure how the other person will be around you in the future and you wait for the other shoe to drop.

As I do agree in part that yes, other times it could cause anxiety, especially that if I start telling people casually based on my new found confidence on the subject but i'm not going to do that and i don't advise that anybody should, we have to be smart and i'd like to think that i am a smart person (to a certain extent).

This is a very sensitive subject within society, the last taboo maybe so telling everybody is out of the question at present but swinging back to my point that if people that know our secrets break that trust by telling other people or using it against us in the future they are not worth knowing in the first place, even more than someone initially rejecting us for who we are.

I have since seen my friend and there was no change in manner or conversation or anything for that matter, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones and for that i'm grateful. I know its only been a few days but do you really think that other people dwell on the personal subjects of others so much? they don't, I'm not saying everybody is cold and self absorbed but we all have our own stuff to sort out and to think otherwise is quite self absorbed if you ask me

kimdl93
11-04-2011, 10:13 AM
I understand the recommendation to carefully chose the people one shares this with. Of course, you want to be prudent.

But at the same time, I wnder if we don't underestimate the people in our lives. I have to say that in my admittedly limited experience, people have proven to be far more understanding and far less judgemental - at least on a personal level - than I ever imagined. I was outed rather rudely and loudly by my ex - to family, friends and co-workers. I know some of them simply discounted it as angry outbursts, but others knew that it was true and despite this, over the years I can't think of a family member, friend or business associate who has disowned or ostracized me.