PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Doctor

gaylegirlify
11-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Question? What do you tell your doctor ( male) when you have to remove your shirt for a sun spot exam and you have a shaved chest, i pluck my hair as i don't have a huge amount and sometimes there are some hairs that hav'nt quite broken through the skin and may be visible to the doctor examining you. Bit worried about my visit.:o

midnightMelissa
11-05-2011, 08:13 AM
I don't. I wouldn't worry, but if you are asked you can say you prefer it that way. No further explanation is needed. Many many many people do this for aesthetic purposes.

M

cassandra54
11-05-2011, 08:15 AM
I've been to two different doctors. I am usually shaved everywhere. I actually think they prefer it, since it's so much cleaner. And it's not uncommon these days. Lots of men are shaving, including their arms and legs.

gabimartini
11-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Why should the doc care about how you choose to groom?

Theresa_W
11-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Why should the doc care about how you choose to groom?

I agree. Doctors don't care....They see a lot of stuff. Heck, my doctor once saw my flowery pink panties during a check up, and didn't say a thing! :o:eek: LOL

You'll be fine!

Hugs,
Terri

JenniferR771
11-05-2011, 08:53 AM
I told my doctor and nurse. Showed them pictures. No problem.

Tina B.
11-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Today in the world of the metro man, it's getting very common, just last week I was out shopping, and saw three brands of electric razors for trimming and shaving the body, and yes they where for men.
Just tell the doctor you thought everybody did it now days!
Tina B.

Cynthia Anne
11-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I don't tell them anything! Not before nor after I remove my bra and forms! Hugs!

WandaRae2009
11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Don't worry about it. Your DR is unlikely to ask, if he does just tell him you like it that way or say your wife or GF likes it that way. I have been smooth for several years. Multiple physicals and procedures and never a question or comment. Even though my wife doesn't like my CDing, she likes me smooth. If I get behind on the grooming, she will comment that I need to shave.

Stephanie Michelle
11-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I am what I call hair challenged on the body. Never had a lot of hair. I have a few hairs on my chest which I shave. I want to a new doctor and he asked if I shave my chest. I said yes that I shave all 52 hairs. He just smiled said OK.

wendy360
11-05-2011, 11:50 AM
I have had laser hair removal done on probably 90% of my body. I go for annual physicals, to a dermatologist and to a company doctor for there annual physical and no one has ever asked about the lack of hair on my body.
I go to the red cross about ever 2 months to give blood and it is much easier when they remove the tubes they tape on to my without hair on my arms. Again never been asked what happened to the hair. They probably look at my hair less legs and don't worry about it.
Medical professionals don't care if you have hair or not. Had an EKG a couple years ago and the gal liked not having to deal with hair on my chest and it was easier when they removed the electrodes.

Chickhe
11-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about that! I naturally have about 3 chest hairs and my wife pulls them out. My doctor only ever asked me once about the lack of hair on my wrist and I truthfully said I shaved it and he said okay. He didn't give me a reason for asking, but I suspect the doctor looks for symptoms...ie:no body hair....might mean lukemia or something. The point is, the doctor only is concerend about your hair as it relates to your health. You never have to explain why to a doctor....but be factual and accurate so they can make an accurate diagnosis.

Rachel Morley
11-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Trust me, your doctor is not going to care and if he does mention anything it's likely to be just a passing comment. For example, one time I was at the doctors (a female one) and I was having and exam. I standing there in just a pair of plain white cotton panties (that did't look particularly much like panties). My entire body is completely shaved. All she said, in a somewhat curious tone was, "do you shave?" and I said "yes, all over. I prefer myself this way". She just smiled and said nothing and then carried on with the examination. Trust me, everything will be just fine. All you gotta do is blow it off as like it's no big deal :)

Stephenie S
11-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Oh for goodness sake! This is silly. Stop worrying. Your doctor has seen FAR more than a man with a shaved chest.

He/she is not going to say anything. If he is so impolite as to mention it, tell him you like it. Period!

I see more and more ads on TV for men's stuff to shave their chests. It's quite normal now a days.

S

Sookie
11-05-2011, 12:35 PM
No worries, it makes their job easier anyhow. I just had hernia surgery, and when I woke up I was pretty much hairless from the belly button down. I'm sure the doc wouldn't of cared if I had kept up on it and saved him the work. Lol

eluuzion
11-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I just say…

“Hey, I could use an outside opinion if you don’t mind…
I’ve been using a manual vacuum pump on my breasts for over a year now. Does it look like it is working to you?” :D

I don’t say anything, because they don’t care about things they see everyday, particularly if they are not health related.

I went to Vegas a couple years ago for hernia repair surgery. I was in the bathroom in the prep area of the operating room. The assistant came in with the notorious open backed robe, hair net and an electric shaver. She advised me I have to “shave” my pubic area for surgery. I just said…”Already done”, and smiled. So did she.

None of the staff or my surgeon ever said a word the entire time I was there. (at least not when I was awake, lol).

I have been totally shaved for years. It is not even an issue in my mind anymore. There are so many reasons people do it these days.

Now, shaving off your eyebrows is an entirely different scenario, lol. I am still trying to come up with a good excuse for that one. I just went to the dentist which was a big concern for me with the eyebrow issue. He is also a personal friend. When the assistant accidentally flipped some water up on my face, the dentist “wiped” it off. I was sure he probably wiped off part of my (drawn on) eyebrow in the process! :o

I just kept my eyes closed and figured for a bill of $1600, everybody would likely keep their comments to themselves. I was right…
:love:

Cheryl T
11-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't tell him a thing. If he's curious he can ask.
But my cardiologist surprised me one day when I was called in for a Consultation. Seems I had failed my stress test and had to have a few stents inserted. Well, at the exam (2 days before a Xmas Party) he said to remove my shoes and socks (I had just painted my toes for the party). The jig was up. I asked him to have the female assistant remain outside and told him about my dressing. His response, "What you do is your business, now will you take those socks off?".

Needless to say I'm a bit more careful when going to my appointments now.

DanaR
11-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I had a similar experience with a doctor once, I told her that she didn't want to know. She was alright with that. Several years later, I told a different doctor what happened and she thought it was funny. When I told the second doctor, I was feeling a lot easier about talking about these things with my doctor.

Pamela Kay
11-05-2011, 09:36 PM
I have shaved everything for a few years now and have never been asked about it. I have a lot of body hair if I let it go and when I started shaving my arms and hands I waited until It was long sleeve shirt season and went out of town for a week, figured it wouldn't be as noticeable at the office if they hadn't seen me for awhile. Nothing has ever been said even though I have left a little stubble on my hands from time to time. Even though I am sure some of my coworkers have noticed, none have ever said a word.

I went to the doctor a couple of months ago and wore my nude bikini panties since I didn't think there would be any danger of them being seen. Of course the doctor ordered a steroid shot in the hip and I had to drop my pants for it. I hid my panties as much as possible but there's not much you can do in a situation like that. The nurse didn't say a word and didn't seem phased in the least. I'm just glad I decided not to wear my pink panties that morning.

Amymonroe
11-05-2011, 09:49 PM
i went to sick call the other day and i had on a pair of panties. well he sent me to get xrays of my lower back. when i got their the tech asked me to lower my pants to half way down. oops. she was a fellow soldier and i think she saw them and she said nothing about them. that was great and nerve racking at the same time.

Barbara Dugan
11-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Its odd because I shaved my whole body and every time that I had to take off my clothes to be examined by a doctor, they indeed asked me why I shave...even my GP adviced me to use hair removal cream instead of using a razor if I happen to visit gyms or locker rooms

Jilmac
11-05-2011, 10:46 PM
A lot of athletes shave body hair, so I see no reason why it's an issue. There are many reasons for a person to shave and unless you feel that it's important for your doctor to know, don't even mention it. If he asks tell him "because I can".

Diane Smith
11-06-2011, 12:15 AM
All nervousness I had about showing my "stuff" to medical personnel came to an instant end in 2001 when I went to the ER and came out of the hospital nine days later after a triple bypass and open-heart mitral valve replacement surgery. Taking care of my problems was so much more pressing than noticing my tattoos, piercings, shaved legs, polished nails and so forth that it made all of those things seem absolute trivial by comparison. Everybody I met was totally professional and one of the nurses who helped take care of me in the hospital was amused, fascinated and totally non-judgmental about my painted toenails in particular -- she talked about them (discreetly) with me several times.

Since then, I decided I won't hide or be embarrassed about anything when I deal with doctors and nurses -- if they don't like something about my presentation, that's their problem, not mine. All the doctors I see regularly and almost all of the nurses and technicians I've met either don't comment or actually seem to like some aspects of my look, and all of them behave like professionals regardless of what they're thinking.

- Diane

Sophie86
11-06-2011, 12:37 AM
I have to get skin exams every six months. Last time I was there, something was said about the fact that I shave, and the doc said, "That's not for me, is it?" My brain nearly locked up trying to figure out how the hell he meant that comment, but I quickly decided to treat it as "you're not removing your hair so that I can find the skin cancers easier, are you?" rather than, "you're not trying to look sexy for me, are you?" Either way, the answer was no, but to the latter it would have sounded more like NO! lol. He then said something like, "Oh, just tryin' to keep cool, huh?" and I made some non-committal remark.

Awkward!

If it comes up again, I'll have to just tell him that that's the way (uh-huh, uh-huh) I like it.

sweetvictoria
11-06-2011, 08:03 AM
My doc has never said anything. I am completely shaved except my head. Many guys shave their bodys, just look at make models. I did forget mt toenails were painted once and he looked at them knida strange. I just said my toddler daughter painted them for fun.

morgan51
11-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Dr. knows I'm t so no worries! He and his staff have always been professional anyway.

gaylegirlify
11-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Thank you all i feel a lot more relaxed now, i was mainly worried about shaving and my age 58 and slight belly and man boobs, thought it might be odd but i think it will be ok, so once again thank you all for the reassurence.

Gayle