PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU do at the Gym?

abigailf
11-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I suppose this question is for you boys and girls in some pre-op stage of transition.

So, you identify yourself with the gender that your are working on turning your body into. Do you go to a gym? If so, what do you do with respect to the locker rooms and such?

The reason I ask is I go to the gym regularly, and the more I go, the more I present my female side (as an MtF).

When I go, I already have on my sneakers, shorts, sports bra, and a tee or tank. I do my workout, which is typically 3 to 5 miles on the treadmill. When I am done, I go into a family dressing room to change my tops. Then I go home to shower.

The problem here is the family dressing room is not a locker room and does not have any wet facilities.

The one time I did have to use the toilet, I went into the boys locker rooms (there are men, women, boys and girls locker rooms at the YMCA). As it was during the school day it was likely to be empty. I don't think I would be comfortable in either men's or women's if anyone else was there (which there usually is). Nor do I suspect they would be comfortable with me there.

I was thinking about meeting with the director to discuss with him or her. But I thought I would throw it out here first.

-- Thanks --

Aprilrain
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
What does your legal documentation say you are? Personally I think if you"re legally female then you have the right to use the woman's locker room. Of course I wouldn't walk around in my panties in there either! Like you I go to the gym dressed for my workout and usually just go home dressed the same. I haven't had to pee while I was working out since I started transition.

CharleneT
11-07-2011, 02:16 PM
When I was pre-op, I swam a lot ( and still do ). I used the women's locker room, never had a problem at all. Both the public and University pools have only men or women's locker rooms. The U of I pool has single person showers only, the public has both gang and single person versions.

Starling
11-07-2011, 02:22 PM
...I was thinking about meeting with the director to discuss with him or her...

Discussing is good, I think. I believe the Ys are pretty evolved outfits. I hope it works out, Abigail.

:) Lallie

Katesback
11-07-2011, 02:33 PM
If someone has to ask this question they have NO business in the locker room.

Rianna Humble
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Despite what our resident grinch says, not all of us wait until after Gender Confirmation Surgery to go to the gym.

When I tried out a gym near to my work, I had a problem because the gender specific changing areas were open plan and when I was shown into the ladies section, as is right for my gender, there were several ladies in the altogether. I sought out a member of staff and asked to be allowed to use the disabled facility which was single person. Although I don't have a physical disability, I do have a notifiable disability. It felt a bit of a cop-out to me but I couldn't have gone ion with the wrong gender and did not want to embarrass the other women by showing myself in the altogether whilst I am pre-op.

pamela_a
11-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Are you living full time female and what does your ID state is your gender?

I joined Lifetime Fitness over 1 year before my srs and a few months after my name was changed and marker was corrected. My ID stated I was female and I joined as a woman so I used the women's changing room and was perfectly comfortable. The showers are individual and the majority of women did as I did, change with a towel wrapped around them to preserve their modesty. If you joined the facility as a male then I would not recommend using the women's facilities without at least discussing it with the gym management.

To Kate's response, I agree in that if you are not confident enough in yourself to know you should use the women's changing room then IMHO, don't use it. If you have to ask you're not ready.

Katesback
11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
LOL I am glad someone can actually read. Isnt it enteratining how someone can draw conclusion from simple text. I never said anything about SRS but she apparently is a mystic and can read peoples minds.

Are you living full time female and what does your ID state is your gender?

I joined Lifetime Fitness over 1 year before my srs and a few months after my name was changed and marker was corrected. My ID stated I was female and I joined as a woman so I used the women's changing room and was perfectly comfortable. The showers are individual and the majority of women did as I did, change with a towel wrapped around them to preserve their modesty. If you joined the facility as a male then I would not recommend using the women's facilities without at least discussing it with the gym management.

To Kate's response, I agree in that if you are not confident enough in yourself to know you should use the women's changing room then IMHO, don't use it. If you have to ask you're not ready.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
11-07-2011, 11:58 PM
Crikey, what problems could arise if you are in the females locker room and ur found out to be male because a female just does not like you. With the cost of gym fees and the difficulty in doing a good circuit workout, why not just buy a universal gym?

Nicole Erin
11-08-2011, 12:51 AM
I do not go to a gym but if I did, I would not use either shower. Reason is cause even though I take a shower twice a year whether I need it or not, it is not likely my shower days would fall on a day i would be at the gym.

Persephone
11-08-2011, 01:47 AM
I've belonged to a women's workout center for the past 3 years.

Like April, "I go to the gym dressed for my workout and usually just go home dressed the same." It just seems like the simplest way to do things, although our center does have individual changing rooms. Our toilet facility also allows for single access.

Although I hate to beat down enthusiasm, I do agree with Kate. I never thought about making an issue with management. I never for a moment thought about going to the gym as anything less than all woman and I certainly would not expect to be treated as anything else.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Mary Lee
11-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I started HRT about six weeks ago. I had some small male boobs before. My nips are becoming more sensitive and I feel less flap in my girls, they are firmer. I am a 38 or 40 bra band depending on the make and model. I can ware a 36A with an extender and almost fill the cup which makes me fell more girly.
Anyways. I started going to the Rec Center about 5 months and water exercise in a females and male exercise program. I have had no problem using the men's changing room or shower or exercising in the pool with both men and women and no has said anything, at least to my face. As my girls grow I wounder what I will do as far as using the pool. Myself, I don't really care what others think but I wonder that the people who manage the Rec Center will do if my girls become fuller/larger and an issue.

abigailf
11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Well, I don't know if our resident "Grinch" is really a Grinch. She is just a realist and I do agree with her. Hence the reason why I do not use either. I am just not comfortable using them whilst in the mists of my transition.

Thus why I posed the question to the community.

I have no problem using a ladies restroom. In fact, I've used them even when I was presenting as ... well let's just say, not quite female. However, people don't generally get naked in restrooms. So, locker rooms have that extra level of complexity ... I guess.

I will just continue the approach I have been taking which is to not use the locker rooms. The Y does have regular bathrooms at another level, I suppose I could use those if I need a bathroom. At some point after I change my legal gender maybe I'll do something different.

It is definitely interesting to hear what everyone else does though.