PDA

View Full Version : My Husband Betty

DeniseNJ
11-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I have never been a reader of books, I just don't have the patience to open up a book and sit still and just read. Just not my thing. Sure magizines and their small articles are easy fast reads that I enjoy. I need things to happen FAST for me. Well the same hasn't been true about my crossdressing, it has been a slow and painful process at times. Someone on this board suggested we all need to get this book {My Husband Betty}, a true life account of life as and with a crossdresser. I got the book in the mail yesterday and took it to work. Yes I almost outted myself when a co-worker saw me carrying the book and asked , whats ya reading ?? my reply was nothing much, he went to reach for it and I held on tightly. I must say it is riviting to say the least. I am on page 59, maybe 200 or more to go and I am transfixed. When I say all of us can relate and idenify with scenes in this book and say hey that was me or yep that's my life So true. I left it at work locked in my locker and can't wait to resume reading later tonight. I can't believe I will read this book cover to cover, it is just not me. BUT I have to because it is about me and life and my relationship. I told the wife that I was ordering a book and I wanted her to read it, I hope she does. This Helen Boyd, the auther and wife of Betty has acted and portrayed how my wife acts to a degree and I say yes, that's her. Helen tells the truth like it is , she isn't painting a picture that all women should marry a CD cause we a such great ,sensitive people. It is hard work to be in a relationship with a crossdresser. I am about 1/4 into the book and I am hooked. The part I get is that we are all different, and that there is not one certain mold for us Complex sums it up. I can't believe I waited so long to read a book like this. I guess I have come to realize .... it is what it is:)

Rachel Flowers
11-08-2011, 09:21 AM
My wife (who does not read atall, not even magazines) read this book cover to cover the morning after I told her. She messaged me in work saying "You must have felt so alone."

Helen's main message seems to be not to pigeon hole anyone, CDs or their SOs.

AndreaCD1963
11-08-2011, 09:28 AM
This one us on my list to read too. But I can't seem to find a kindle version :-(.

EllieOPKS
11-08-2011, 09:34 AM
HI Denise
We are much alike in that I don't read a lot of books my reason is mainly eye strain. This sounds like an interesting read and I will check at the local library and see if they have a copy. When you finish, do give us an update and your thoughts overall.
Ellie

xristy
11-08-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't read often either, other than what is on a computer screen for most of my day. However, every now and then I will find a book that I just need to read. My Husband Betty was one of those books and I had to read it from cover to cover. Very informative, especially to get the perspective from a SO. It is worth the ready for any CD in a relationship or their SO.

Xristy

VeronicaMoonlit
11-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Don't forget "She's Not the Man I Married", which is her second trans-related book. Both books are very much worth reading, though I must admit I have signed copies. If you see me refer to "the other place", I'm usually referring the message boards related to Helen's books.

Veronica

AndreaCD1963
11-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Don't forget "She's Not the Man I Married", which is her second trans-related book. Both books are very much worth reading, though I must admit I have signed copies. If you see me refer to "the other place", I'm usually referring the message boards related to Helen's books.

Veronica

I wonder if reading them out of sequence matters much? "Shes Not The Man I Married" is already available for Kindle readers.

Debglam
11-08-2011, 11:03 AM
I wonder if reading them out of sequence matters much? "Shes Not The Man I Married" is already available for Kindle readers.

Hi Andrea,

MHB is also on Kindle. Both are excellent reads.

Debby

Jilmac
11-08-2011, 11:34 AM
I had the opportunity to actually meet Helen and Betty a couple years ago in a group setting. We were able to ask questions and learn more about transgenderism than we would heve from so-called clinical studies. They are truly a down to earth couple.

AndreaCD1963
11-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Andrea,

MHB is also on Kindle. Both are excellent reads.

Debby

Thanks Debby! I will have to go back and look again.

Shananigans
11-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm a book worm...always have been. I have so many books that 5 bookcases and 1 bottom of the bed cannot hold them all. My Husband Betty was a great book, and I proudly display it in the bookcase in my living room. There's also a second book by Helen Boyd on transitioning that I have been meaning to read.

bridget thronton
11-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Both books are excellent (and balanced in the presentation of the topic). My spouse read them both.

wanagione
11-08-2011, 02:32 PM
I have read both of the books and they were very good.

MissMarcie
11-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Veronica
Speaking of which, please share with us, has Betty, Rachel, (or whatever name she has now) gone under the scalpel yet?

VeronicaMoonlit
11-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Speaking of which, please share with us, has Betty, Rachel, (or whatever name she has now) gone under the scalpel yet?

I don't know, and I really don't need to know. I do know she's full time, but that's it.

Veronica

shybi
11-08-2011, 04:38 PM
hi all
just ordered this book online cant wait to get it and start reading it.

wendy xxx

josee
11-08-2011, 04:54 PM
This one us on my list to read too. But I can't seem to find a kindle version :-(.

Here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_11?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=my+husband+betty&sprefix=my+husband+

SusanMarie
11-08-2011, 05:36 PM
For those who are interested...
Answers to many of these questions and more awesome gender info can be found at www.helenboydbooks.com

AndreaCD1963
11-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_11?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=my+husband+betty&sprefix=my+husband+

Thanks Josee! I got "She's Not The Man I Married" this afternoon (something to e-read on my upcoming trip:-) ) but apparently "My Husband Betty" isn't available for Kindle in Canada. I'll havebto try and get it while I'm in Florida in a couple of weeks - I really want to read them both, but would prefer to read them in order. If I can't get it for Kindle, then I'll go the paperback route while I'm in the US.

Roberta Marie
11-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, both are excellent books. My understanding, though, is that Helen Boyd has stated that these are not the best books to give a wife who you've just come out too. Some of the sections may scare her off. I ordered 2 copies of the book shortly after I came out to my wife, so that we both could read it while I was on a business trip. There were parts of the book where I said to myself, "I hope she doesn't read this until I get home and can talk to her some more. Betty is going way beyond where I want to go."

I would add to anybodies reading list the books written by Dr. Peggy Rudd, including "My Husband Wears My Clothes" which is excellent for new-bee wives, and "Crossdressing with Dignity".

MissMarcie
11-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Yes, both are excellent books. My understanding, though, is that Helen Boyd has stated that these are not the best books to give a wife who you've just come out too. Some of the sections may scare her off. I ordered 2 copies of the book shortly after I came out to my wife, so that we both could read it while I was on a business trip. There were parts of the book where I said to myself, "I hope she doesn't read this until I get home and can talk to her some more. Betty is going way beyond where I want to go."

I would add to anybodies reading list the books written by Dr. Peggy Rudd, including "My Husband Wears My Clothes" which is excellent for new-bee wives, and "Crossdressing with Dignity".
IMHO, neither of Helen's books are the best books to give a wife who you've just come out to. Both books would scare the hell out of a nervous wife. As far as the MHB forum and that whole experience, it’s always appeared to be pretty TS-centric to me. "My Husband Wears My Clothes" might be good if re-written but it seems dated nowadays.

DeniseNJ
11-09-2011, 12:58 AM
I am page 110 and yes I will agree, she can be blunt and to the point. I always come away with more understanding, mostly about my wife perspective. What she says that happen to partners of Crossdressers and how it makes them feel is so true, I see exactly what Helen means.. Since my wife has known about Denise and her as in my different levels of dressing I feel if my wife reads this book our relation ship will change How !!! is unknown!!

prettytoes
11-09-2011, 05:58 AM
IMHO, neither of Helen's books are the best books to give a wife who you've just come out to. Both books would scare the hell out of a nervous wife. As far as the MHB forum and that whole experience, it’s always appeared to be pretty TS-centric to me. "My Husband Wears My Clothes" might be good if re-written but it seems dated nowadays.

I have to agree...I read both books, as did my wife. "My Husband Wears My Clothes" seemed to hit home a little better for both of us. Both were very informative reads.

Rachel Flowers
11-09-2011, 06:04 AM
neither of Helen's books are the best books to give a wife who you've just come out to. Both books would scare the hell out of a nervous wife.

Mrs Flowers recognised that many of Helen's fears about Betty and those of other couples she describes simply didn't apply to us. She found the book really useful and gripping.

I know I keep saying this but I feel so lucky to have her.

Debutante
11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
See her web site at: http://www.myhusbandbetty.com/

DeniseNJ
11-10-2011, 07:16 AM
I am done the Book and I must say it left me with a sence of being affraid of the future. There were too many comments and projections that I related too and never really gave it much thought. It is Like Denise is wondering, is this really me, yea! I have those thoughts and fantacies too, am I headed for the transition stage OMG. .Now I need to get the wife to read it, I told her that I was reading it and left it out in plain site for 2 days, When I told her she said put it away as if ashamed what people would think if they saw it out. This morning I couldn't wait to get home and polish my nails for comfort. This book is scary when you realize, that's me

kristinacd55
11-10-2011, 07:36 AM
I read it a couple years back and was on their blog site (like this one) for awhile. I guess I should go back and see what's up......