PDA

View Full Version : Had an interesting client today...

S. Lisa Smith
11-09-2011, 05:58 PM
I am an attorney. Over the years I have had a number of clients who are transexuals. Mostly they come to me for civil matters, but I do court appointed criminal work and my client today had a criminal problem. Today was a the second time I've met with her. She had never responded to my initial letter and the first time I met with her was in court last week. At that time she was dressed in an androgynous manner. She was wearing trendy torn jeans a top and looked pretty bad. She had nail polish on that was in terrible shape, but I could tell that she was either a transexual or a cross dresser who was dressing en drab. (Still don't know her status.) That part was good since the warrant was taken out in her male name obviously and the judge we were going before doesn't have much patience... The case was continued to so she could get some information which would help her case. (If she had called me when I sent her the letter, we could have had it the first time, but nooooo....) I read her the riot act about how she was dressed and said, like I always do, come dressed like you were going to church.

Fast forward to today. She shows up dressed in a skirt, pretty top, high heels, necklace, the whole nine yards. She looked great, but it wasn't the look I was hoping for. :doh: I expected the worst from the judge, but he was amazingly cool. Although he convicted her, he allowed her to remain on bond pending the appeal. I was expecting him to revoke her bond, but he didn't.

As an aside, I had to talk to her probation officer before the hearing. I kept referring to my client as her and he said "you know he's a boy?" I said "she is presenting as a female, so I will refer to her as her." He was taken aback, I think, but he was respectful both before and after that exchange. My client heard me and was very appreciative. Couldn't tell her why I felt that way, but I kind of wanted to.:heehee:

Alice B
11-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Very inyeresting post and situation. The probation officer shows his/her lack of understanding and it must have been hard for you to remain neutral.

Katie Moore
11-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Aside from the obvious and mandatory legal work you did, you are to be commended for being nice too.

AllieSF
11-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Great story. Every little bit helps. And that means for everyone.

marlaNYC
11-09-2011, 07:59 PM
exemplary behaviour and a finely told tale to boot. well played

S. Lisa Smith
11-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Thank you all soooo much!!

Vanessa Storrs
11-09-2011, 08:15 PM
You should have worn a nice jacket and skirt with a sweater and maybe some pearls thereby setting a good example for your client.

S. Lisa Smith
11-09-2011, 08:48 PM
You should have worn a nice jacket and skirt with a sweater and maybe some pearls thereby setting a good example for your client.
That would have been interesting. She was dressed appropriately for church, just not the way I expected.

drag n fly
11-09-2011, 08:57 PM
From the dealings I have had with probation officers..this would be SOP. Many of them should have their roles reversed, seems to me..I worked with police in NYC for many years, and found many of them to be crude also...It , no doubt, stems from association with the dregs over the years..Makes you hard, I guess...Jackie

CamilleLeon
11-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Could've been bad for her if she had to go to jail dressed like that...although I'm not sure what her alleged crime was so that might not be applicable

Marissa333
11-09-2011, 10:35 PM
That would have been interesting. She was dressed appropriately for church, just not the way I expected.

I am assuming you meant for her dress in boy clothes?

Missy Tanya
11-09-2011, 10:53 PM
It was your fault. You didn't tell her what Church to dress for! lol But really, Thanks for taking it like a man and giving her the benefit of the doubt. Nice touch calling her by how she was presenting..

Tanya

Michelle Crossfire
11-09-2011, 11:26 PM
I am an attorney. Over the years I have had a number of clients who are transexuals. Mostly they come to me for civil matters, but I do court appointed criminal work and my client today had a criminal problem. Today was a the second time I've met with her. She had never responded to my initial letter and the first time I met with her was in court last week. At that time she was dressed in an androgynous manner. She was wearing trendy torn jeans a top and looked pretty bad. She had nail polish on that was in terrible shape, but I could tell that she was either a transexual or a cross dresser who was dressing en drab. (Still don't know her status.) That part was good since the warrant was taken out in her male name obviously and the judge we were going before doesn't have much patience... The case was continued to so she could get some information which would help her case. (If she had called me when I sent her the letter, we could have had it the first time, but nooooo....) I read her the riot act about how she was dressed and said, like I always do, come dressed like you were going to church.

Fast forward to today. She shows up dressed in a skirt, pretty top, high heels, necklace, the whole nine yards. She looked great, but it wasn't the look I was hoping for. :doh: I expected the worst from the judge, but he was amazingly cool. Although he convicted her, he allowed her to remain on bond pending the appeal. I was expecting him to revoke her bond, but he didn't.

As an aside, I had to talk to her probation officer before the hearing. I kept referring to my client as her and he said "you know he's a boy?" I said "she is presenting as a female, so I will refer to her as her." He was taken aback, I think, but he was respectful both before and after that exchange. My client heard me and was very appreciative. Couldn't tell her why I felt that way, but I kind of wanted to.:heehee:

On a different note, since you say you are an attorney, may i ask a question? I have had to deal with attorneys for the past 7 years in divorce court. I think it is needless to say that they make the entire profession look as sleazy as it is portrayed. I would like to know you take about how the courts work from an attorney's point of view. Would you mind sharing?

Samantha_Smile
11-10-2011, 12:00 AM
That was a nice move, if only showing an understanding of a wider world... who knows, it may have helped the case :)

Lux
11-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Great story. Made my day!

S. Lisa Smith
11-10-2011, 05:49 AM
Could've been bad for her if she had to go to jail dressed like that...although I'm not sure what her alleged crime was so that might not be applicable

She was sentenced to 30 days in jail. She could have been taken into custody at that time. The judge cut her a break by not revoking her bond pending appeal.

linda allen
11-10-2011, 07:21 AM
It amazes me that anyone would be so stupid as to not dress respectably for court, especially if they are the defendant. And dressing as a female when actually male is a big risk as well.

jillleanne
11-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Well done Lisa. When you have a free moment, you may want to draft a letter to the judicial system governing body in your area and inquire as to what steps have been taken to accomodate gender enhanced people, and educate the people that have a direct connection to them, i.e., Attorneys, Probation officers, court staff, judges, police, etc. indicating how you came across having to represent one such person and it made you ask yourself, " How do I handle this scenario without discriminating?" Of course you know, but it would be interesting to see how they respond.

kimdl93
11-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Good work, counselor.

Tina B.
11-10-2011, 08:19 AM
Sounds like my kind of Lawyer, Well done! Glad for you client, the judge could have gone ballistic, and didn't.
Tina B.

S. Lisa Smith
11-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks all!!! I'm enroute to court while I am typing this...

catriona36
11-10-2011, 09:55 AM
It amazes me that anyone would be so stupid as to not dress respectably for court, especially if they are the defendant.

I agree 100%. i was in court for something myself. full suit and tie. all the other defendants woret shirts shorts and one even wore thongs (flip flops as you call them)

out side having a smoke, the others thought i was a lawyer and called me sir while the lawyers thought i was one of them and called me mate.
the way you dressreally does make people treat you in different ways.
the only time i dress in a suit and tie is for funerals and lets hope never again for court. oh and be buggered if im wearing a suit when they burry me :)

S. Lisa Smith
11-10-2011, 10:16 AM
It amazes me that anyone would be so stupid as to not dress respectably for court, especially if they are the defendant.
Unfortunately, it happens all the time.

insearchofme
11-10-2011, 10:56 AM
If I never need a lawyer inVirgina I'm calling you!

S. Lisa Smith
11-11-2011, 09:56 AM
I hope you never do!!! At least not a criminal lawyer. I do many other types of law.

"Mary"
11-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Aside from the obvious and mandatory legal work you did, you are to be commended for being nice too.

Hear, hear! Thanks for sharing Lisa.

EllieOPKS
11-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Interesting subject. So Lisa did you comment to her at all about her appearance?

S. Lisa Smith
11-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Interesting subject. So Lisa did you comment to her at all about her appearance?
Yes, I told her she looked pretty, but that it wasn't the look I had wanted.