PDA

View Full Version : A challenge ahead ...

RachelF
11-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi, I was thinking in buying my first wig since this year begun. Two months ago I told my wife about it. We even went to a wig store to see styles and prices. I finally bought a couple online (www.wig.com, following the recomendation by some of you), just 66$ for both.

When I told my wife about the Internet order, she said: "Well, I am not sure you will look good ... maybe I can laugh ...".

I received the wigs, have not tried them with makeup. I am very nervous, I should try to do a super B make up to look a little bit passable ... at least good enpugh to not cause laughing.

Tomorrow night will be Day D ... wish me luck ...

Rachel

Marleena
11-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Ouch @ the laughing part! Just dive in there and make it work.:)

Marissa333
11-10-2011, 11:17 PM
Makes me sad. I might be wrong, but it almost seems like she led you on. I hope it goes well, I am sure you will look great. If you post pics, we all promise not to laugh.

Dixie
11-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Go for it and just enjoy it, no need to stress over it. ;)

Lux
11-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Wigs can truly be the 'crowning' moment of a male to female transformation. Good advice I have read is to stay with a natural hair color for you and to take care of it. I remember reading something about "too many crossdressers don't look feminine because it looks like their wig was stored in a paper bag'. Always remembered that..

Dana7
11-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I went to a wig store when selecting my first wig, just before I first went public for Halloween. The store owner was very pleasant and helpful and explained to me all the relevant details about wearing and maintaining a wig. She helped me select a very attractive one that flattered my features and worked well with my facial shape. And although I did wear a different wig for Halloween night than the one I purchased that day, I learned a great deal from her and would highly recommend to anyone that they buy their wig from a local retailer.

I think my two favorite hair pieces look great. And I am certainly not afraid to wear them, even in public. Perhaps you might want to take yours to the local wig shop in your area, call first to see if they allow that. I'll bet that the store owner will welcome you in and give you all the good advice on making your hair piece look great. They do offer wig styling at these shops. Perhaps if they styled them for you, your wigs would look really nice on.

Eryn
11-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Before you show your wife your new wig sit down with her and talk to her about it. Tell her how you feel and what you want from the experience. If she was seriously experimenting with a new look for herself you certainly wouldn't laugh at her efforts and you deserve the same consideration.

Eryn

RachelF
11-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Marleena, Dixie thanks for your kind words. I will try to keep calm and enjoy the moment. Marissa, I am still too closeted to share a face picture but I will share the experience.

Sofi, I certainly think this is a major step in my CDing. Similar to what I feel the first time I used make up. I bought one wig black, which is my natural color of hair (before gray appears ... LOL), that is the one I plan to use. After doing my wig, there will be only one thing left to complete my full dressing: to have long nails painted ... and I already saw some false nails I will buy probably.

Dana, I do not have the courage to go to a local wig store alone. When we visited one, we said the SA that we were looking for a wig for my wife ... obviously my skills at styling are almos inexistent. I hope my fem side will guide me to do the work.

Eryn, good point. I will not surprise her with my new look, I am planning to let her know what I am gonna do. I do not want to elaborate too much about my feelings because I also want to see what is her spontaneous reaction (if it is laughing, I will talk with her about it).

Rachel

kimdl93
11-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Rachel, I'm glad you can talk with your wife about this. I think that's the key to growing in your CD expereince. Yes, she may chuckle a bit, but she may, if you follow Eryn's advice, begin to see that this is very important to you. Also, ask for her help...in chosing a wig style, doing make up and selecting clothes. Besides allowing her to have some input on your appearance, this may offer a very enjoyable and bonding expereince.

Cheryl T
11-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Let her laugh...then laugh with her and ask her advice and help. Don't be upset if she finds it a bit comical. I remember back to my first attempts at makeup and a wig and how god awful I looked. I can laugh at that now...so can you. It might break the ice and let the two of you work together to get your look to where you want it to be.
Just have fun...this is not so serious that we can't have a chuckle now and then.

Stephenie S
11-11-2011, 11:23 AM
A good wig can make an outfit and a bad one can ruin a good look.

Don't be afraid to spend the money needed for a good wig. That said, if you can grow your own hair, do it. Wigs are hot, uncomfortable, insecure, and if you can avoid wearing one you will be better off.

I once said I would never wear a wig. But with advancing age and thinning hair I have started wearing a "fall". It's human hair and is small, does not cover my head. It just fills out my hair and gives me some added and welcome volume. It clips to my own hair and is VERY secure. I can swim in it and I never fear wind.

The reason I said I would never wear a wig is a humorous story. I was in college and kept my hair relatively short for convenience. I was at my mom's beauty parlor with my mom (women went once a week back in the 60s) and the beautician actually talked me in to buying an "Afro" wig. I don't know WHAT got into me. I had nice hair. But I bought this black monstrosity (it was HUGE) and took it with me back to college. Well, I wore that wig ONCE and never put it on again. It was then that I vowed NEVER again to wear a wig.

Stephie

RachelF
11-14-2011, 02:18 AM
Well, it went not that bad with my wife. As lovely she are, she did not laugh. She said it just look strange. She even caresses my "new hair" which I liked a lot. And she tried the wig after my CDing session finished.

From my side I was a little bit dissapointed about how I looked. I know I am far from passable, but some how I did not pay much attention to it until last saturday night. I cannot agree more with some of the advice several girls did before. Please, all of you looking for your first wig: visit a local wig shop if possible. You have to see the wig put on you, that way you will know wich style is best for you (less costly than try and error over the web).

My wig is a Paula Young, $33 after discount, I think the wig could pass OK (for the price I think is a good deal) but the main problem is it does not seem to go with my face frame. The other thing is I bought it black and the color looks too artificial. I know some people has hair really black but is not very common. I think a black variation would go better for me.

Well, I learn putting on a wig does not make you passable right away. CDing keeps being a challenging quest. I will keep trying, learning, sharing with you and best of all with my wonderful wife.

Thanks for the tips !!!

Rachel

Marleena
11-14-2011, 02:22 AM
I'm glad it went well Rachel! You had me worried at the laughing part.:)