PDA

View Full Version : Get a man's haircut!

vetobob9
11-11-2011, 05:58 AM
I was at the Target last night with my sister. She told me to look at how the men have their hair because that is how mine should be.

The problem is that I do not want a man's haircut, which involves shaving all the hair off my head. I've grown it out to a good length and it took a long time to do it.

I am going to put my foot down on that one. The hair is going no where.

The she says I should style it. But they are thinking men's styles. I would really prefer fem styles. If I don't have it down I have it in a ponytail. Mostly because I do not know how to do the other styles.

If men were not supposed to have hair, then God would not have given them hair. God gave me a good head of hair so I want to flaunt what God gave me. At least until it starts turning. But right now it is still a youthful reddish brown and many of my relatives are jealous because their hairs are already turning gray. I was able to keep it that by not allowing chemicals to touch it. I've been complimented on it by a few people.
Because of this, I do not need a wig because I have the real thing that I can style and now they want me to get rid of it.

I need to find out what services my local VA has for transgendered persons.

Michelle 51
11-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Depends a lot on your type of hair but if you have a full head of hair there are a lot of uni-cuts out there but keep in mind the longer you let it grow the harder it is to stay in the middle of the road.I have all my hair and its fairly curly so I get a short femme cut with feathered bangs and just comb the bangs back for everyday use.Not where I want to be with it but the best of both worlds for now

Sara Jessica
11-11-2011, 08:31 AM
What do you care what your sister says? Do you answer to her as far as what you choose to do with your own body???

I'm a member of the long hair club and yes, my wife is entitled to an opinion because she is my spouse. Anyone else? I listen but dismiss any such notion that I "must" cut my hair.

Michelle has it right, the longer it gets, the more you are resigned to a pony tail in guy mode. It just doesn't work any other way without looking way too feminine.

Julogden
11-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Ignore them, wear your hair however you like to. And yes, if you feel the need for some counseling and you have access to it, take advantage of it immediately. From what I've read about the VA, they do offer transgender support, click here (http://transequality.org/PDFs/TransgenderVetsDirective2011.pdf) for details.

Good luck!

Carol

Claire Cook
11-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Sigh ... guys like us with growing bald spots wished we had this problem....

kimdl93
11-11-2011, 08:48 AM
I am entirely with you - I would not worry about getting a "mans" haircut either. These days that's a pretty vauge concept. Even among country singers hair ranges from bristle to very long and shaggy. You're entitled to choose your own look...it need not be based on the apparent majority of men who happen to be at target.

Launa
11-11-2011, 08:50 AM
You are lucky to have a full head of hair. Tell sis that you need to make an appt with her stylist and your going to get the same look she has. If everyone keeps nagging you about tour hair tell them all that your knocking me and I don't like it, I don't knock you, keep it up and we won't be friends. This usually shuts up the anal relatives. I have many of them.

Jamie001
11-11-2011, 10:29 AM
What do you care what your sister says? Do you answer to her as far as what you choose to do with your own body???

I'm a member of the long hair club and yes, my wife is entitled to an opinion because she is my spouse. Anyone else? I listen but dismiss any such notion that I "must" cut my hair.

Michelle has it right, the longer it gets, the more you are resigned to a pony tail in guy mode. It just doesn't work any other way without looking way too feminine.

It is important to remember that there is nothing wrong with looking feminine in guy mode. My hair is always styled very-feminine in guy mode and people just get used to it. After all, there are quite a lot of women wearing short guy cuts and no one bats an eye. If you want to wear your hair in a fem style, there is no one stopping you but yourself. Take a look at Michael Jackson's attorney in the wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Mesereau

There is no reason to impose these limitations upon yourself.

Dixie
11-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Oh how I miss my long hair, lol I just miss having hair ;). Enjoy it to it's fullest

BillieJoEllen
11-11-2011, 02:31 PM
My wife is always after me to get a haircut. I keep it long but off my shoulders and combed back. When she says anything I will give it a trim myself. She very seldom ever notices that.

Suzette Muguet de Mai
11-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Believe in yourself and your ideas. Sure, seek advice and thnk about what others say but if your believe in what YOU want differs to others yay you are YOU. I have long hair, I love it and anyone that says anything negative about it does not contribute to my life. I do not see them when I am sick, or depressed, or need help so I take their advice, understand where they are coming from and make my decision.
ITS YOUR LIFE, it is far to short to never have tried anything but pleased others just to make them happy and yourself very unhappy. I am finally working that one out, I guess I am a slow learner, but once learnt I rarely repeat the same mistakes.

kimmy p
11-11-2011, 09:44 PM
My natural hair is now permed, and I am growing it out to shoulder length. I let my hairdresser know when she was working on it that "I didn't care whether it was a male, or a female's style" as long as it looked good on me. While I don;t know WHAT the style is.... I have been confused for a GG a couple of time with it. Next cut & curl I might ask for a more androgynous style. Baby steps folks, baby steps.....

Sara Jessica
11-11-2011, 09:52 PM
It is important to remember that there is nothing wrong with looking feminine in guy mode. My hair is always styled very-feminine in guy mode and people just get used to it. After all, there are quite a lot of women wearing short guy cuts and no one bats an eye. If you want to wear your hair in a fem style, there is no one stopping you but yourself. Take a look at Michael Jackson's attorney in the wiki.

There is no reason to impose these limitations upon yourself.

There you go again Jamie. I might as well display my red nails as well, seems how you tell us everything will be just fine.

Please have an ounce of empathy for other's situations before dispensing such advice.

Sophie86
11-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Beginning in 2nd grade, I started wearing my hair down to my shoulders, and continued to wear it long all through my teens. I was mistaken for a girl numerous times, and was pressured by my parents--especially Dad--to cut it shorter, but I steadfastly refused. At the age of 19, my barber told me I had a quarter-sized bald spot on the back of my head. I thought he was pulling my leg, but no. By the time I was 24, the bald spot was as big around as a softball, and the front hairline had receded two inches. There was just a small clump of hair up front that was more of an insult than a consolation. Now, that's gone too.

Lesson: Enjoy your hair while you have it! Don't let anyone tell you how to wear it.

April_Ligeia
11-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Back in my teens and twenties, I had long hair. I was a musician, so I had long hair and wore Alice Cooper-like makeup on stage, or sometimes masks. I had long hair and dreds until it started to thin out to the point where I got it cut and the guy cutting it did a comb-over! When I saw what he was doing, I had him shave it close and have worn it short ever since. The up side is that it makes wearing wigs much easier!

Marleena
11-11-2011, 10:21 PM
If you can grow it, keep it! I can't grow it anymore (on top). If I could I wouldn't let anybody dictate to me about it. That said, it's your hair to do what you want with it.

Rachel Morley
11-11-2011, 10:38 PM
I was at the Target last night with my sister. She told me to look at how the men have their hair because that is how mine should be.
Grrr :Angry3: .... don't you just hate that? Just because "other men" have a certain hair style she thinks (because you are male) you should also have the same also. I'm sorry, but this attitude really ticks me off. This is all about her not being comfortable with you displaying characteristics that do not conform to the standard bi-gendered world that she thinks everyone should live by ... so again ... grrr!

Chickhe
11-11-2011, 11:26 PM
My rule is, if someone tells me to cut my hair, I add on another month of growth.

Nicole Erin
11-12-2011, 12:09 AM
My hair is short in the back, maybe an inch or two but it is asymmetrical in the front and long on one side, it sure is not a man haircut though

Long hair and a feminine style are not the same thing. Yeah you have to have SOME length somewhere in your hair to be able to style it femme but that doesn't have to mean long in the back.

My hairstyle is very similar to this photo or Rhianna, of course she is way prettier than me...

Ellyn
11-12-2011, 02:04 AM
While out for dinner I saw (and pointed out) a couple of women wearing the current hair fashion. My comment to one woman I was with was, "They look like a couple of truck drivers". I should have said, ..."look very unfeminine". A few days later, she is looking ugly as sin with a "fashionable haircut", real;ly looking like a truck driver. If the fashion went to Mohawks the women would follow. On the upside, more unfeminine women are just lowering the bar for passing.

marlacd
11-12-2011, 03:57 AM
Does your sister cater to all fashion trends? Tell her to go fly a kite!

Launa
11-12-2011, 05:17 AM
My rule is, if someone tells me to cut my hair, I add on another month of growth.

Haha thats awesome! I used to do that to my family when they asked me to get a cut. I was in my 20's and had a full head of hair and it was long and curly. When I started going bald I got a womens' wedge haircut. The kind thats really tapered at the back and a bit curly on top. That shut everybody up...

k lynn
11-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Wish I had hair I would wear it long also

Cynthia Anne
11-12-2011, 06:24 AM
As soon as your sister shaves her head agree to trim yours by a half inch! Until then tell her to mind her own business and she won''t be minding yours! Hugs!

Jonianne
11-12-2011, 08:48 AM
It is important to remember that there is nothing wrong with looking feminine in guy mode. My hair is always styled very-feminine in guy mode and people just get used to it. After all, there are quite a lot of women wearing short guy cuts and no one bats an eye. If you want to wear your hair in a fem style, there is no one stopping you but yourself......There is no reason to impose these limitations upon yourself.

I agree big time!! People get used to who you are, especially with the slow process of growing hair. As my hair got longer I had it styled in a "page" with bangs and that's the way I wore it all the time. Rarely put it into a ponytail. Loved brushing it and using a round brush.

If you have any sort of a masculine face, your hair will naturally shape it'self so that you will still present as male 99% of the time, even though you style it femme, so there was no need for me to pull it back.

Tina B.
11-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Pony tails are for men! Just tell your sister your doing a Thomas Jefferson, or a Ben Franklin, and if it bothers her, you could switch and wear it like George Washington (remember he wore a wig!). I've worn long hair since back in the sixties, and from time to time, I still get asked why I don't get it cut, my answer never changes, because I like it this way!
Tina B.

vetobob9
11-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Interesting update.

I went to church today, for the first time in like 2 or 3 years. I have not gone regularly in 18 years. It was a new church but the same congregation of the one I used to attend regularly, Seventh Day Adventist. I had my hair in a ponytail with an occasional bang on the side of the face that I kept brushing back. I also wore fem undergarments with the forms. No one there said anything. In fact I was invited to dinner by a couple of nice people.
I went to the library after service, and no one even gave a second look. The same at the Dairy Queen.

Then I went to meet my sister at her work because that was my ride home. Instead I went with my brother in law to meet her at a restaurant while she finished her shift. I had been at the same restaurant earlier and no one said anything and no even gave a second look. But when my sister arrives, in front of all those other people, she says I should go online and look at the men's haircuts.

I though this was one that knew about my crossdressing/transgenderism. Apparently I was wrong.

Sharon B.
11-13-2011, 07:58 AM
I’m sure if I went home for Thanksgiving this year my two sisters would start on me to get my hair cut. I to grow it longer this year and next year and having a feminine styled done to it along with getting my ears pierced.

Julia_in_Pa
11-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Tell your sister that' it's none of her %^$# business!

Julia

April_Ligeia
11-13-2011, 09:26 AM
It's amazing how some people think they have the right to an opinion on such personal matters. Every once in a while I'll get a negative comment about my piercings, but I get many compliments for each insult. Don't listen to the negative comments, and make sure you hear the positive ones!

Launa
11-13-2011, 09:29 AM
Interesting update.

I went to church today, for the first time in like 2 or 3 years. I have not gone regularly in 18 years. It was a new church but the same congregation of the one I used to attend regularly, Seventh Day Adventist. I had my hair in a ponytail with an occasional bang on the side of the face that I kept brushing back. I also wore fem undergarments with the forms. No one there said anything. In fact I was invited to dinner by a couple of nice people.
I went to the library after service, and no one even gave a second look. The same at the Dairy Queen.

Then I went to meet my sister at her work because that was my ride home. Instead I went with my brother in law to meet her at a restaurant while she finished her shift. I had been at the same restaurant earlier and no one said anything and no even gave a second look. But when my sister arrives, in front of all those other people, she says I should go online and look at the men's haircuts.

I though this was one that knew about my crossdressing/transgenderism. Apparently I was wrong.

Some people have no social grace.

Kathy4ever
11-14-2011, 05:49 AM
My wife says that regularly. She just hates that I'm growing mine. She is a hurtful woman when it comes to this stuff. Just yesterday she almost refused to dye my hair untill I got a haircut. I said fine and I would dye it myself. She gave in and dyed it for me. She kept saying that my hair looked funny. She longs for the day that i get my hair cut back into a fade. Boring!!!! I really liked my hair yesterday becaused I curled it in the morning and it had such volume after that. She did not say a word all day till i asked her to dye my hair. Remember it's your hair and you have a right to wear it the way you like.

Jamie001
11-14-2011, 08:42 AM
There you go again Jamie. I might as well display my red nails as well, seems how you tell us everything will be just fine.

Please have an ounce of empathy for other's situations before dispensing such advice.

I would simply start with the hair first and then the red nails later when you are comfortable. As I have said before, most of the fear and Demons are created in your own mind. Folks don't really care.

Jamie001
11-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Grrr :Angry3: .... don't you just hate that? Just because "other men" have a certain hair style she thinks (because you are male) you should also have the same also. I'm sorry, but this attitude really ticks me off. This is all about her not being comfortable with you displaying characteristics that do not conform to the standard bi-gendered world that she thinks everyone should live by ... so again ... grrr!

Amen. I couldn't have said it better.