PDA

View Full Version : retirement parties

Teri Jean
11-13-2011, 12:41 PM
This is something we all look forward to and hope for as we go through our lives, retirement. This fall I was placed in a position where it was to my advantage to take my retirement earlier than planned. I had planned for this coming spring after our university commencement but when It was explained as to the advantages of this December I was ready.

Now that is something that is really nuts and bolts but the parties planned were something I was not aware of. Yes there is cakes and coffee and people standing around wishing you success and memories of the past but I was informed of a larger gathering. It seems as if my 28 yrs plus has been something the administration had been watching unknown to myself.

One of my charges is our University Advancement Department and as we all hope for is acceptance. The other day the office of the VP of the department called and they wanted to know which day would be best for a evening of Happy Hour and dinner out. A girls night out so to speak. I was taken back as there was the feeling I was accepted but there would be no after work happy hours or dinners.

Then the office manager of the VP of Facilities asked if I would be available for another party in our Alumni Room, this would be for the whole campus to attend.
I found the footprint we make as we go through our employment is much more visible than we realize.

So with 25 working days left until I retire on December 20th, I will find out just how much I have influenced and touch those I have had the pleasure of working with.
My transition has brought myself out in the public but the work and service I have given must have been appreciated. I have been granted Emeriti status with perks.

These past couple years have been such a wonderful and yet stressful time in my life but this has put the icing on the cake so to speak.

More to follow;
Teri

sandra-leigh
11-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Congratulations, Teri!

Eileen
11-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Congratulations Teri! You can look back over your career with pride!

Persephone
11-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Teri,

That is so wonderful! Enjoy the icing on the cake! Every moment of it!

And welcome to retirement! It is awesome!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Rianna Humble
11-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Well, it couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

If the department VP wants a girls' night out with you as guest of honour, I think you should accept as the gracious lady we all know you to be.

At least you're not in the same boat as me - I'd have to refuse icing on my cake as it would trigger my diabetes :heehee:

SherriePall
11-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Teri -- Sounds really wonderful -- all that they have planned for you and the honor of being granted Emeriti status. Enjoy. And enjoy your retirement. Do you have any plans for that? I know people who have fully retired and are busier than when they were working full-time.
P.S. You look absolutely lovely in your avatar.

Jorja
11-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Congratulations Teri! Job well done. ;)

AllieSF
11-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes, Teri you just seem to be clearly showing that some transitions can be very successful and personally rewarding. That probably means that you will have more time to hit the wilderness areas, do those things that you always seem to put off until that elusive moment when you would have more time, and maybe start traveling more to remote locations, maybe to revisit your second birth place in the Bay Area. Congratulations Poster Lady, you always make me smile with your accomplishments.

Joann Smith
11-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Congrats and thanks you for being you

Joann

Michelle.M
11-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Oh, that is just wonderful! I hope you'll report back and tell us how the ceremonies and celebrations went.

Teri Jean
11-13-2011, 11:09 PM
I am looking forward to the parties but will miss the daily contact with the students and staff. That is natural but with the gift from the university, Emeriti, will allow me to stay in contact with the university.

Sherri you are to kind. Thanks

SusanMarie
11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Congrats Teri...
Your Emeriti status is well and rightly earned...
By the way, 'retirement' is a misnomer. I am semi-retired, busier than ever, but having much more fun

Teri Jean
11-14-2011, 07:28 PM
You are so right Susan, I have started the remodeling of the house. Right now is the two bedrooms on the second floor and then the bath. That should take the winter and then I can move down stairs for the bedroom on the main floor. If I can keep my focus I will gut the kitchen and build the cabinets and re-design the work area to be more efficiant. That should be a full year and half of work but the house is paid for so this is more a labor of love than work.

The nice thing is if I want to take time to travel I can. Fun starts tomorrow night with happy hour with the gals from our University Advancement Department. Have a great week. Teri

morgan51
11-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Congratulations on retirement Enjoy! You look lovely, and confident. Morgan

Kimberly Long
11-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Teri, I wish you as much happiness as I am having in my retirement. I was a very public figure in Houston and was restricted to my home, as far as dressing. I retired in 1998 and have never been happier. I have lived as Kimberly 24/7 with the loving support of my wife almost everyday since my retirement. Now and for the past few years I am Kimberly 24/7. I have been on HRT for sometime and developed into a full C cup. No I am not going any further, live is so good.
My wife of 30 will tell you "Life is great together"
I pray that you experience the happiness that I have found
Love Kimberly

Starling
11-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Teri, yours is a rare story of eating your cake and having it, too. And you deserve it, obvviously. Have an active, wonderful retirement.

:) Lallie

Teri Jean
12-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Well this week is the beginning of the end. Retiring has so many appealing traits and it does culminate a wonderful career in higher education. As I prepair for the final 7 days of work I get a call from the U of M Center for Sexuality and am asked to sit in on a panel discussion. I figured it was on being transgendered but found out the students I would be conversing with were first year medical students at the Mitchell Student Center of the Mayo Clinic. During the conversation of Q & A the question we all struggle with when we embrace our gender expression, that being "are you dating or going to date and with whom, male or female". My answer was and is, with the person that I find myself comfortable with and we have an attraction to each other.

Later that evening 80 miles from Rochester MN I am sitting with friends in a club we like to frequent and in comes a gal who I met not to long ago. I excused myself and said hello to Brenda and gave her a hug. We talked briefly and then with her beverage in hand she came over and sat down with the friends. The group that was the entertainment decided to do a set of "slow songs", a chance to dance together and not all over the place. I asked Brenda for the dance and we ended up dancing the set together. At the end of each dance she gave me a lovely kiss and when we left for the evening she did again.

The idea of being in a relationship is something many of us want and I have said many times "don't look for it but let it find you". Am I hopeful? Yes and if it is with Brenda it will be great. If not, I definately have a wonderful friend whom I am very comfortable with. The next few days will be so full of activity with retirement parties and holiday gatherings. I am going to have fun and wish you all the best as we get closer to the holidays. I will keep you informed as always.