PDA

View Full Version : Friendly stores

susan54
11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I have been a bit shocked by the difference between the UK and N America in terms of trying things on. Here in the UK it is normal to be able to try things on dressed as male, even in small boutiques.

After 15 years of this, it is all too easy to forget how nervous you get the first few times. Wouldn't it be helpful if retailers had a discreet sign in a corner of the window or the door announcing that they were happy for men to try things on. A hybrid male/female symbol would be too obvious - possibly a circle with an arrow inside it or something? By making it easier for men to shop, the retail problems would be transformed - these days they NEED us, but the more nervous amongst us need to know we are welcome.

Jennifer529
11-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

AllieSF
11-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Actually, I like this idea too not so much for me, but more for those that have trouble shopping for women's clothes en femme or drab.

sissystephanie
11-13-2011, 05:47 PM
It does sound like a good idea. I am very much like Allie, in that I have no problem shopping for feminine clothes regardless of how I am dressed!! A major part of the problem is fear in the person doing the shopping!! If they can get past the fear, they will have a much easier time shopping and will really enjoy it!!

donnatracey
11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
I have been a bit shocked by the difference between the UK and N America in terms of trying things on. Here in the UK it is normal to be able to try things on dressed as male, even in small boutiques.

After 15 years of this, it is all too easy to forget how nervous you get the first few times. Wouldn't it be helpful if retailers had a discreet sign in a corner of the window or the door announcing that they were happy for men to try things on. A hybrid male/female symbol would be too obvious - possibly a circle with an arrow inside it or something? By making it easier for men to shop, the retail problems would be transformed - these days they NEED us, but the more nervous amongst us need to know we are welcome.

Don't hold your breath! I believe the backlash from some women would make that an untenable strategy for most stores. There's plenty of Kohls, Sear, Penneys, Ross, etc where you can try on in drab or not. Of course, I could be wrong......:eek:

Karren H
11-14-2011, 09:25 PM
All the stores around here already have a sign in their windows that says I'm welcome to try what ever I want to buy... Sometimes more than one....

"Sale". or "Clearance" or "Visa acepted here".

Bobbi Lynn
11-14-2011, 09:29 PM
"It Pays to Discover"!

All the stores around here already have a sign in their windows that says I'm welcome to try what ever I want to buy... Sometimes more than one....

"Sale". or "Clearance" or "Visa acepted here".

Chickhe
11-15-2011, 01:07 AM
It would be kind of cool to see...we accept master card, visa, crossdressers here...

Cynthia Anne
11-15-2011, 06:11 AM
I agree with Karren! Money talks!

erickka
11-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Sounds good to me too! Here in Nashville Tn., some restaraunts post a small sign in their windows letting women know that breast feeding their infants is accepted. Now if we could only get merchants to accept us like that, well ....maybe someday.

Gina X
11-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Sounds good to me too! Here in Nashville Tn., some restaraunts post a small sign in their windows letting women know that breast feeding their infants is accepted. Now if we could only get merchants to accept us like that, well ....maybe someday.

We haven't got to start breast feeding as well now have we ?? LOL

VickysBFF
11-15-2011, 01:26 PM
The only problem with this is that even when national chain stores have policies that are friendly to the CD/LGBT community it is difficult getting those policies enforced on a local level. I've never really encountered these problems myself but I know of examples where a national chain has friendly policies but some local personnel do not follow them.
One example that I read about a short while ago is a Safeway in Washington D.C. where a cashier used an anti-gay slur against a gay couple while they were checking out.
Safeway is based in Northern California and is friendly to the LGBT community but that one employee seemed to be clueless.