PDA

View Full Version : Going just a little further

tifftg
10-20-2005, 10:05 PM
These past few years I have been trying to take my dressing more out into the open, (okay at least when I am out of town). I have a trip planned for Chicago the week after next with the goal to be enfemme for 2 days. My biggest challenge to myself besides walking out of my room during the day, is to take the el train from one part of Chicago, to downtown and go shopping. I know that I don't pass in the sense that I am a convincing woman, but I am getting better about being confident about who I am.

I am wondering, if anyone else has had experience in those kinds of close quarters and any suggestions?

Hugs,

Tiffany:strugglin

Rainbow6562005
10-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi, Tifftg,:)

I've had no experience doing what you plan to do, but I support you all the way for doing it. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Rainbow

Holly
10-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Hi Tifftg,

I have taken public transportation while dressed... a taxicab and the monorail in Las Vegas. Ride the el like you belong there, because YOU DO! I was treated with curiosity but respectfully because I was confident not in my ability to pass, b ut in the knowledge of who I am. I'll be in Vegas abut the same time you're in Chicago... and I'll bet we both do it! Let's compare notes when we get back! One bit of advise... wear street casual clothes. Be comfortable. Enjoy yourself!

windycissy
10-20-2005, 11:41 PM
If you're alone, please don't go out at night. Public transportation can be intimidating because if you're outed by someone obnoxious on a crowded subway car, there's no way to get away from the situation. Chicago is a big city full of people who are preoccupied with their own problems, so just grin and bear it and you will be okay. One tip, if you are outside on a nice day is to wear sunglasses, that way you can look at people and tell if they are staring at you without looking conspicuous. The less you worry about what other people are thinking, the more you will be able to relax, enjoy yourself, and maybe surprise yourself with your ability to blend in with the crowd. They don't call Chicago the "city of big shoulders" for nothing: there are a lot of "big" women here, and you may look just another harried working woman if you dress appropriately for what you're doing. Works for me....Windy

Deborah
10-21-2005, 02:46 AM
I'd love to go out as part of a big group but i don't think i can handle going out on my own just yet.

GypsyKaren
10-21-2005, 04:54 AM
Just go about your business and enjoy yourself! I think you'll find that no one pays you much attention.

GypsyKaren

tifftg
10-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I appreciate the advice and suggestions. I plan to be very casual in my dress. And I will be back before dark to the Boystown area which is very freindly and accepting of all lifestyles. Thanks for the tip on sunglasses. I will post some pictures. I am also thinking about getting a jogging outfit for an early morning coffee trip.

Holly, that is so cool about Vegas. I almost thought about going there, I know Chicago a little better so did that instead. Yes hon, let's compare notes.

Tiff

Phoebe Reece
10-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Tiff, I have been on trains on Atlanta's MARTA system several times while dressed. Most ot the times I got on was during rush hour or around lunchtime and the trains were very crowded. I was dressed in either a skirtsuit or nice skirt & top, and heels and looked very much like some other women on their way to work. In the close quarters I got a few looks, but no comments. I like to think that the looks were admiration of my outfit. Whatever the case, it was exciting and I expect to do it again more times in the future.
Keep in mind that a crowded train car is preferable to a near empty one. You won't draw nearly as much attention when only those people right next to you can get a good look. People tend not to stare too closely at those right next to them anyway. Have fun!

deeasheville
10-24-2005, 12:35 PM
I don't think that you have that much to worry about. It is very true that we are far too critacle of ourselves, (the image you have of yourself, is not what others may see).
What I see is a beutiful woman. If they are looking at you it may be in admiration.
How's your fem voice ?

susandrea
10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
Tiff, honestly, if you just smile as you do in your avatar you will win everyone over.

You're lovely. :la:

tifftg
10-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Phoebe, thanks for the personal story. I actually travel to Atlanta 3-4 times a year and ride the Marta, so I can visualize what you are talking about. It is very helpful

Dee and Susan you are both so sweet, thanks for the big confidence boost.

tiff