PDA

View Full Version : Took a BIG step today

Diane Elizabeth
11-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Well for me it was a gigantic step. I went down to the Government Center. Paid $350 and submitted for a name change. I never thought I would go through with it. So many things haven't happened first as I had planned. Now I need to find out what I can do about changing the gender on my ID's. I couldn't believe that they didn't know what I needed to submit for it. I was referred to the Outfront organization for help. So I when I go back to work after Christmas, assuming I recover from my neck surgery on Wednesday, I go as a new person. Healthier and wiser (???) and broke. The downside is that the SO is not happy with me (can't blame her) for the spending of monies.

Rianna Humble
11-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Well done on the name change. How does your SO feel about your transition plans?

Diane Elizabeth
11-14-2011, 11:25 PM
She doesn't approve. Says "its not natural". Then she gives me some of her tops that she doesn't wear anymore. No big "D" in sight yet though.

Longing2be-Trisha
11-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Way to go Donna!

Hugs

Melody Moore
11-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Congratulations on taking this step. :hugs:

However I think $350US is nothing but highway robbery it only costs $145AU here in Australia to change
my name: http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/54847/bdm-schedule-fee-list.pdf (http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/54847/bdm-schedule-fee-list.pdf)

Hope
11-15-2011, 03:34 AM
In Wisconsin it is about $250 for the filing fee, and $80 to publish the notice in the newspaper for 3 consecutive weeks - then whatever it takes to go see the judge. And worth every penny. Getting my name changed was a seriously transformational event.

Rianna Humble
11-15-2011, 03:40 AM
I think $350US is nothing but highway robbery it only costs $145AU here in Australia to change
my name

In Wisconsin it is about $250 for the filing fee, and $80 to publish the notice in the newspaper for 3 consecutive weeks - then whatever it takes to go see the judge.

In the UK, you don't need to bother with a judge or the newspaper. I did the deed for roughly $45

However much it costs, I agree with Hope that it is worth it, and with Donna that it was a BIG step forward.

Melody Moore
11-15-2011, 03:49 AM
No doubt its worth it, I just don't see how they can justify that sort of a cost and there was no judges or
public notices in the news paper either with changing my name. In fact I think advertising that is so wrong
because they are really 'outing' you. :(