PDA

View Full Version : As I keep saying... the times they are a changing :)

Melody Moore
11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Transgender Rights Support Crosses Religious, Political Lines

There is overwhelming public support equal rights for transgender people,
according to a new survey by the Public Religion Research Institute.

“Approximately 9 in 10 (89%) Americans — including strong majorities of
all religious and partisan groups — agree that transgender people deserve
the same rights and protections as other Americans,” the institute reports.

Read the full article here: http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/11/13/Transgender_Rights_Support_Crosses_Religious_Polit ical_Lines/

Kimberly Long
11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Melody, church, is the only area that I have not dressed completely. I would love to go to my church as Kimberly, but I have so much love for most of the members that I will not do it yet. I no longer have a choice, I must wear a bra whenever I am out. At church we do a lot of hugging, I know someone must have felt the bra straps or other things, but nothing has been said.
I do not know how the Episcopal church would feel about someone like me. I love my church so much I would hate to lose it.
All I can do is to put it in Gods hands and when things are right, I will know.
Love Kimberly

Debglam
11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Good news Melody. Thanks for posting it.

arbon
11-15-2011, 03:54 PM
86% of Republicans

I would have never guessed if I was judging by their actions! What they do certainly does not reflect that.

Debglam
11-15-2011, 05:18 PM
I would have never guessed if I was judging by their actions! What they do certainly does not reflect that.

I try to be optimistic, but I was thinking about that. A survey is one thing but what will these "supporters" do when the rubber meets the road? Hoping for the best. . .

Suzette Muguet de Mai
11-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Interesting reading but I wonder about all the other religious groups including some radicals. I wonder what it is in Australia? It would be interesting to see what the stats are amongst all religious groups incl overseas people. I would like to hear the reverend Fred Niles answer and to think about it our political parties and politicians here in Australia.

Among the institute’s findings are that there is support for equal rights for transgender people by 83% of white evangelical Protestants, 90% of white mainline Protestants, 93% of Catholics, and 95% of the religiously unaffiliated. Among political groups, there was support from 86% of Republicans, 92% of Democrats, and 94%, of Independents.

JulieK1980
11-15-2011, 07:20 PM
It's funny I saw this post by you today. While I had some down time on my clinical rotation today I was reviewing the hospitals employee handbook, and noticed the "Equal Opportunity" portion. Gender Identity is NOT protected by law in the state of PA, but low and behold the hospital included "Gender Identity, and/or expression" right there with all the others.

Starling
11-15-2011, 09:24 PM
...A survey is one thing but what will these "supporters" do when the rubber meets the road?...

The problem is not with the 89%. Most of the trouble in the world is made by a small group of sociopaths who are immune to enlightenment.

:) Lallie