PDA

View Full Version : Finally Seen In A Good Light

xristy
11-15-2011, 10:02 AM
It seems that for as long as I can remember, CD/TG/TV types have always been portrayed as commical or very strange in TV and the Movies. Last night I was very surprised as I watched an episode of HBO's Hung. I will not get into what the series is about, but last nights episode was about the main character (Ray who is a male prostitute) going out on a date to a HS reunion with Kyla (a MTF TG person).

When Ray found out about Kyla, at first it made him uncomfortable and he didn't know how to act. I feel Kyla was a little deceptive by going to the HS reunion and trying to pass and dance with guys and not letting them know who she was in HS. At the end of the episode, everyone figured out who she was and as you would guess, they all stared and shunned her.

Ray at that time realized that she was just a person and this must have hurt her very much. He went to her and I guess he had an epiphany as he talked to Kyla and comforted her. He asked her to dance and they did as everyone stared at them.

The thing that really struck me was as they danced and everyone stared was when Ray's character talked over the scene as the show ended. What he said was so true. He said something along the lines of:

As you get older, you stop worrying about what others think and it really only matters what you think of yourself.

I was paraphrasing a bit there, but the message is what they were trying to get across.

I really wasn't sure if the person playing Kyla's part was a man or woman, so I did as any curious person would and googled it. I found this article if you want to find out more about Kyla:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20542763,00.html

This world is changing ever so slowly, but things like this give me faith that humanity can change for the better.

Xristy

StaceyJane
11-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Interesting that they would tell a story like that.

insearchofme
11-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Interesting that they would tell a story like that.

HBO is pretty cutting edge. A few years ago they did a movie about a middle aged guy who had SRS. It was very well done.

DianeDeBris
11-15-2011, 11:05 PM
I love the fact that the character is played by actress Jamie Clayton, a woman who happens to be transgender. Thanks for the link!