PDA

View Full Version : My FFS with Dr. Spiegel...off on a sour note...

Zenith
11-15-2011, 12:34 PM
:straightface:

So it's 2 weeks before I leave for Boston for FFS with Dr. Spiegel on Dec 1. This will effectively be the end my transition. Though I may still do a BA in the Spring.

I'll try and take a few pics of Boston and update my progress. There is a good chance I'll be able to meet up with few gals in the New England area. Very much looking forward to this. :)

Had all my reservations and a confirmed in writing post-op visit the morning of Dec 9 with Dr. Spiegel. I get an email yesterday canceling the appointment with Dr. Spiegel and replacing it with one of his residents. And it's much later, requiring a late departure time from Logan.

So Dr. Spiegel is not removing my staples and sutures nor performing the departure check. The email said he will be in the building and (might) pop his head in. :straightface: This makes me lose confidence. I'm not one of his $40,000 patients, but it is a lot of money for me and it is serious bone work. Especially annoying as lots of YouTube and his site vids show post op visits of $40,000 gals and him delicately removing sutures and staples. And carefully performing a post op check.

I'm becoming disillusioned with some of these famous docs. My inguinal hernia surgeon in 2010 was terrific. My rhino surgeon treated me like I was his most important patient. Had 6 free post op check ups so far. I suspect that is how he treats all his patients, which is how it should be. Bowers' post op care and recovery house were abysmal.

I am committed financially, so I'll just have to see how things go. And hope for a positive experience and result... which is very likely...

:rant: OFF

Katesback
11-15-2011, 12:48 PM
I am thinking you will be ok. I saw this happen with Dr. Leese who did SRS on a friend and then left for a tranny conference thereafter. He left her in the care of one of his assistants. She did fine.

By the way I demand you be home in a week after surgery and taking pictures showing a couple pieces of tape on your face and appearing to be completely recovered.

KAtie

Zenith
11-15-2011, 01:02 PM
I am thinking you will be ok. I saw this happen with Dr. Leese who did SRS on a friend and then left for a tranny conference thereafter. He left her in the care of one of his assistants. She did fine.

By the way I demand you be home in a week after surgery and taking pictures showing a couple pieces of tape on your face and appearing to be completely recovered.

KAtie

Probably will. But it does make you feel like you are not a priority...

I would need to slather beard cover onto my bloody raccoon eyes and oozing sutures to take pictures like that. I know I won't look good in one week...:doh:

Katesback
11-15-2011, 01:09 PM
I seriously doubt that most any doctor really cares a lot about his clients. Add to it that most doctors I have ever met have the personality of a pencil and it makes sense to me.

I think you will do just fine. Once he is done working on you all that remains is to heal and any qualified doc can tend to that.

I can say that I didnt pick my FFS doctor because of his personality. LOL He acted like a damm pig. I picked him because of his work and his price.

Katie

Zenith
11-15-2011, 01:12 PM
:facepalm: Kate...always a ray of sunshine...

I know your doc and yeah he does act like that... :straightface:

Aprilrain
11-15-2011, 01:24 PM
He will be out of town for my post op so same here. I think like Kate said any doc can remove sutures however I understand your feelings.

Zenith
11-15-2011, 01:31 PM
He will be out of town for my post op so same here. I think like Kate said any doc can remove sutures however I understand your feelings.

So no follow ups for either of us before we leave never to be seen again? Lame, real lame...

Just for Kate...here is a Spiegel shot of a postop patient with the eye swelling accompanying forehead bone work...and another surgeon's forehead patient at one week...I am so looking forward to this...:worried:

Starling
11-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Forget it. I'll just pay somone to beat the crap out of me.

:) Lallie

Zenith
11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Dr Spiegel was in the office but the nurse practioner working for him at the time removed sutures and staples. He stopped by briefly after she finished and said everything looked OK. The NP did her work gently, carefully and frequently asked if pain tolerable. The NP's name was Kate. Hope she's still with him, she was wonderful.

Katie? She is his patient care coordinator.

Yes sure lots can remove sutures. The sore point is tossing you out the door without a personal check on your healing. And 10 days in Boston is God awful expensive. Why couldn't I just come home and have a local FACS doc or nurse pull the sutures?

Aprilrain
11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Why couldn't I just come home and have a local FACS doc or nurse pull the sutures?

you have a point!

GOD that poor girl looks awful LOL!

Zenith
11-15-2011, 02:03 PM
you have a point!

GOD that poor girl looks awful LOL!

Oh you'll get your turn too...lol But she did end up pretty hot so... :D

Katesback
11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
I came home and a period of time later I and a friend helped me remove stitches over the course of a few weeks. I did not need to have a doctor do it.

Come to think of it after SRS I remember stitches comming out over time down there. Add to it the srange sensation of the inner stitches tearing and ya got some fun times. LOL

Katie

Zenith
11-15-2011, 02:18 PM
FFS Kate, (the other abbreviation), don't tell me you removed your vaginal packing and catheter yourself? lol

You know the attention to detail of the Thai docs makes all this look half-assed...

Katesback
11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Smart ass girl LOL. I dont remember much about recovering from srs. I dont remember much about recovering from ffs. Just snipets.

I guess I was drugged pretty good. The caregiver I had for ffs said I was a real bitch in recovery.

StaceyJane
11-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Forget flying
Southwest Chief to Chicago, Lake Shore Limited to Boston

Zenith
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I understand your concern about suture/staple removal and final office visit. Recovery in a hotel is expensive and lonely (also boring). Hope you have someone going with you. First post-op hairwash was memorable, glad I had help.

My FFS with Dr Spiegel was three years ago. At that time, Kelly Bennett was the patient coordinator and Kate the NP. Dr Spiegel was in the office on the day sutures were removed and examined me briefly before I departed. I've been back for two post-op visits with Dr Spiegel since my FFS, no charge for either.

As far as suture/staple removal done locally, suggest talking to Dr Spiegel about that. If he agrees, have him write a letter to the airline stating your recovery is sufficient that you can fly home safely.

Well I know he does post-op visits/suture removal for some of his patients...there are YouTubes!

Yeah I remember collapsing in the shower post SRS in Mt.San Rafael...good times, good times...:straightface:

I can't realistically go back to see him, so I need him to check me out before I leave...hence the sour note...

Good point, the key to returning home and having suture removal done there is how well one is to travel...I can't really change things now, just wish I had know about this before I booked surgery...

Melody Moore
11-15-2011, 02:58 PM
The caregiver I had for ffs said I was a real bitch in recovery.
How come that doesn't surprise me Kate? :tongueout :heehee:

Julia_in_Pa
11-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry he pushed you off onto one of his residents.
I guess if all turns out to be acceptable then all fine and good.
If not then demand revision.

Julia

Zenith
11-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Forget flying
Southwest Chief to Chicago, Lake Shore Limited to Boston

Took the Southwest Chief to Trinidad and back with sleeping car. Great decision.

How come that doesn't surprise me Kate? :tongueout :heehee:

I didn't take the bait, but I knew someone would...:battingeyelashes:

Melody Moore
11-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I didn't take the bait, but I knew someone would...:battingeyelashes:

Yeah, I am a real sucker eh? Fell for it hook, line & sinker right? :battingeyelashes:

I just couldn't resist because there is so much fun to be had around here ;)

:heehee:

Zenith
11-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi,

I'm sorry he pushed you off onto one of his residents.
I guess if all turns out to be acceptable then all fine and good.
If not then demand revision.

Julia

S'OK I feel better (sort of) knowing it's S.O.P. Will try to post to this thread as it goes. In a little over 2 weeks will be getting up from anesthesia...yikes

Sally24
11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
There is a good chance I'll be able to meet up with few gals in the New England area. Very much looking forward to this. :)

If you need any info just PM me. I work in the Boston metro area every day. Good luck, but judging by your before pictures here you won't need it. Damn, just add one more young hot woman to compete with this old girl.:devil:

AKAMichelle
11-15-2011, 09:50 PM
I want to wish you well. Everything will turn out fine. The hard part is the surgery and not the suture removal.

AllieSF
11-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Good luck with the surgery. From the pics of the after looks, too bad you didn't have this done just before Halloween, then you could have saved some money on a face mask. Anyway, I am still not sure how much they can improve on your current beauty. Hugs and all those good things.

Zenith
11-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks Sally, Michelle, Allie. :) I haven't been adding female as much as taking away male. Knocking down some bone will help a lot. Here is my browbone close up, unretouched. Handsome for sure but not female... :bonk:

Jorja
11-15-2011, 10:49 PM
I wasn't even involved in this thread but you had to go and show my before picture!!!!:heehee:

Sally24
11-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Look on the bright side, you've got that lovely smile!:heehee:

Aprilrain
11-16-2011, 06:54 AM
And a face only a mother could love!

PretzelGirl
11-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Yes, it doesn't look very squirrel-ish.

Kaitlyn Michele
11-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Fyi...

i found this on speigel's site for those of you freaked out by the monster looking pic julie found..i'm pretty sure its the same person after 2 months

I don't have a before pic...but especially noticeable to me is how female her brow looks...i would speculate that she started in a good place (same as Julie)

In the end, speigel is an excellent surgeon with a great rep for aesthetically good results for people that don't need the whole DR O face crushing experience..

CharleneT
11-17-2011, 08:14 PM
FYI, often the residents and fellows are often better at the surgery than the faculty member. Basically because they do it more often. I know that was definitely true when I worked for OB-Gyn at U of Iowa Hospital. You wanted the resident for your vaginal hist or the like.... the famous faculty member may not have done a full surgery in a few years.

Zenith
11-18-2011, 02:03 AM
FYI, often the residents and fellows are often better at the surgery than the faculty member. Basically because they do it more often...

I'm paying Spiegel prices and I damn well better be getting Spiegel...lol

I sure miss my Rhino doc. He gave me the surgery recovery regimen of Arnica Montana for free. It starts the night before surgery and goes for four days. The only clinically proven supplement to reduce bruising and swelling. Spiegel recommends it too, but I had to order it on my own this time...

http://www.alpinepharm.com/

Zenith
11-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Ughhhh, had to go off hormones...two weeks before...this is torture...so depressed and tired... :straightface:

Aprilrain
11-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Ughhhh, had to go off hormones...two weeks before...this is torture...so depressed and tired... :straightface:

I am SOOOOO NOT looking forward to that!

cara
11-19-2011, 01:15 AM
I will be going under the knife with Dr Zukowski next March and I can hardly wait. One thing I really don't understand is why we have to stop hormones before surgery? Is this just some blanket over cautious rule or is there a legitimate reason for it?
Cara

Niya W
11-19-2011, 01:22 AM
This my latest pic of Julie. I would get close to her.

Zenith
11-19-2011, 01:59 AM
I will be going under the knife with Dr Zukowski next March and I can hardly wait. One thing I really don't understand is why we have to stop hormones before surgery? Is this just some blanket over cautious rule or is there a legitimate reason for it?
Cara

I'm guessing the big risk is dvt (deep vein thrombosis) of exogenous hormones. Dr. Bowers and Dr. Spiegel (trans patients) required/require cessation of hormones. Dr. Moncure and Dr. Kriet (mostly cis gendered patients) did not. In all cases so far though, I got put in compression stockings and got a nice shot of heparin in my ass.

Aprilrain
11-19-2011, 07:57 AM
This my latest pic of Julie. I would get close to her.

only problem is that is a machine gun not a sniper rifle......just sayin!:devil:

Zenith
11-20-2011, 05:04 PM
What a flippin' hassle. The Doctor's office is in Brookline. The Hospital is in South Boston. The Intern office is in a THIRD place...Moakley Building. Have to go back and forth between all these places. I don't know how much walking I can do and getting on and off and transferring train lines. A fortune if I use cabs or rent a car. Very, very patient unfriendly so far...

AllieSF
11-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to a pretty squirrel who appears will miss Turkey Day. I think that your other animal kingdom friends will really miss you. I know that I will. Good luck again and start thinking positively. Hugs and stuff.

Zenith
11-20-2011, 06:23 PM
only problem is that is a machine gun not a sniper rifle......just sayin!:devil:

OK April, after seeing your new avatar and hearing you say you are going for major, major work as a public service announcement I have to say...ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???!!! Your chin and cheeks and lip and browbone are perfect. All you would benefit from is a scalp advance and a rhinoplasty. My friend Suzanne went to Spiegel and that is exactly what she had (well and a lip lift too). Only soft tissue work. And she is gorgeous...again it is a public domain photo on Spiegel's site.

YOU...DON'T...NEED...BONE...WORK...OR...IMPLANTS.. .

Tough love...:hugs:

Happy Thanksgiving to a pretty squirrel who appears will miss Turkey Day. I think that your other animal kingdom friends will really miss you. I know that I will. Good luck again and start thinking positively. Hugs and stuff.

Thanks that brought a smile to my face... :)

CharleneT
11-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Cara

There is a legit reason.

Due to the nature of artificial hormones (HRT), MTF's are at a greater risk for all types of blood clots. Hence the request to stop them prior to surgery. Doc's who do not request this either don't know the patient is TS or are being less careful than they should. Smoking is also a similar risk by the by, you should stop prior to any major surgery. Many of the SRS docs will not do the surgery if you are a regular smoker (and they know that).

Aprilrain
11-20-2011, 10:22 PM
OK April, after seeing your new avatar and hearing you say you are going for major, major work as a public service announcement I have to say...ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???!!! Your chin and cheeks and lip and browbone are perfect. All you would benefit from is a scalp advance and a rhinoplasty)

well I will take that as a compliment, thank you. However I did see Spiegel in person and felt confident in his assessment. Maybe I need to post a profile pic taken with a better camera and then you will see the brow bone. He said the chin was optional but that I would be pleased with the results. I have decided against fat implants and He didn't feel I needed a lip lift.
To answer your question, am I out of my mind? Only for the last 35 years ; )

Badtranny
11-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Maybe I need to post a profile pic taken with a better camera and then you will see the brow bone.

Let me throw something in here. Zenith and I have chatted on FB and each of us has told the other that FFS may not even be necessary. (I sincerely think she has a great face) I have also chatted with April a few times on webcam and I will attest that she is indeed very cute and could also probably get by without FFS. (though she seems to think I could use some work)

None of this matters.

When I look in the mirror I see a dude and that's why I'm getting FFS as soon as I can. (April 17th in fact) Zenith and April are pretty, but my opinion will not deter them from what they feel they need to do, just as nothing will deter me.

Maria in heels
11-21-2011, 10:23 AM
I hope the best and a speedy recovery for you...praying that all goes well and you heal quickly...

Zenith
11-21-2011, 11:33 AM
well I will take that as a compliment, thank you...

Did you think it was an insult? :confused:

Good points Melissa. I guess I'm not a big fan of scorched earth FFS, unless one really needs it. That's why I'm doing just a few major procedures and then stepping back and re-evaluating. Gals, don't ruin your good features in the quest for ideal female, you end up looking artificial and samey.

Starling
11-21-2011, 02:32 PM
...end up looking artificial and samey.

Yes, please only do as much as preserves your youness. Because you are so effing cute already, all of you. I might even include myself, after a well-mixed Manhattan or three. Some radical FFS jobs make young gals resemble those wealthy matrons with too much money and time who have their faces done again whenever they get bored.

Zenith
11-22-2011, 12:37 PM
A bit glib, but thought this was an appropriate quote about moderation in FFS...(sorry about the size)...

Starling
11-22-2011, 01:31 PM
It's easy to remember when your confidence slips.

Zenith
11-25-2011, 10:36 AM
I had planned on doing a full account with pics, but there is another FFS thread in Special Events. So it seems terribly redundant. Thanks for all the well wishes. The highlight of the trip is I will get to meet several gals up in the New England area. And a couple of them are being spectacular in their offers of time and help. Not really sure how I can thank them, but I'll try. I really do see us helping one another on a regular basis, and that is pretty neat. :)

S. Lisa Smith
11-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Good luck, heal well and have the best time you can. Looking forward to the after pictures (which should be wonderful!).

Inna
11-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Hey babe, I wish you all that comes with feeling of finality approaching near. I can not express the beauty I feel (and I am not talking skin deep stuff) the serenity of being ME, the feeling of rightfulness surrounding my every effort.
You will be fine, in the hands of skilled surgeons, "everything for a reason hon"!
And looking at your pics, even though I fully understand that only combination of profile with frontal image make for a real presentation, you already have a superb foundation for beauty to be sculpted further from within.
Good luck babe from your sis who knows what "having your head run over with the truck" means :)

Love, Inna.

Zenith
11-26-2011, 02:36 PM
...Good luck babe from your sis who knows what "having your head run over with the truck" means :)

Love, Inna.

I may not know what it feels like to "having your head run over with the truck" (yet). Got a wee bit of that with my Chondrolaryngeoplasty and Rhinoplasty. But remember I have had SRS. I know what it feels like to be having an alligator going down on you...and other best unmentioned joys... :straightface:

I'm glad your level of accommodations and post op care were so good. That is unheard of in the US unfortunately.

I did the reverse of most transitions. (SRS, then FFS) Be interesting topic as to which is more life affirming. Probably highly dependent on the individual.

Jorja
11-26-2011, 02:49 PM
I did the reverse of most transitions. (SRS, then FFS) Be interesting topic as to which is more life affirming. Probably highly dependent on the individual.

From my personal experience, I would say FFS is more life affirming. I selected FFS first and feel it impacted the way others see me way more than SRS did.

Zenith
11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Leaving on a jet plane tomorrow. I just have to say I am amazed at the warmness of the people in the area. Looks like I will get to meet several sisters. One from the forum is helping me during early recovery. Another from the forum is opening up her home for a few days. I don't know how to say thanks... :)

Zenith
11-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Here with Stephanie S, (lovies...lol). Seriously though she has put up with my freaking out with great calm. Had a great final day in Boston. Dr. Spiegel and 2 fellows will be doing my surgery, and he added a couple of procedures. Temporal dermal fat graft and some bone work at the nose transition to open my eyes...almost like a blehoplasty. Should be interesting...*gulp*

Starling
11-30-2011, 06:42 PM
You have my very best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. I can't wait to see if it was actually possible for you to be even prettier.

Sally24
11-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Good luck and be calm. You are with some of the best people in their field.

arbon
11-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Best wishes to you :)

Zenith
12-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Son of a bitch...owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... :cry:

Starling
12-02-2011, 03:04 PM
You're alive! Hooray!

S. Lisa Smith
12-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Wow, feel better soon!!!

Sally24
12-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Don't try to be the tough chic. Use any painkillers they give you! Glad to hear from you even though.....

MJ
12-02-2011, 08:08 PM
get well soon sis upload some pictures huggs

Inna
12-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Just be careful, when you get up to pee, make sure your legs can support you. I remember the feeling.......whoooooly S@#@$!%^ I got no legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And every time I would look down I would have a feeling of my brain sliding out.............oooops.....what's that thing on the floor :)

Ask for Morphine, there is always a chance you may get it :eg:

LUV YA!

Sharon
12-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah, you hurt like hell and you're ugly, ugly, ugly!

Of course, before long, the pain will be gone and you will be even more gorgeous than you already were. :)

I'm hoping that "before long" happens real soon, Julie.:hugs:

Traci Elizabeth
12-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Well Julie, the pain could have been worse if you actually paid to have your face hit with a baseball bat. OH YOU DID PAY....holy crap. What are those people called that "love" pain...the more the better?

Seriously though, I am sure the end result will be worth every moment of discomfort you had to endure. Where's the final pic?

Zenith
12-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Just be careful, when you get up to pee, make sure your legs can support you. I remember the feeling.......whoooooly S@#@$!%^ I got no legs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And every time I would look down I would have a feeling of my brain sliding out.............oooops.....what's that thing on the floor :)

Ask for Morphine, there is always a chance you may get it :eg:

LUV YA!
I did get IV Morphine and well...it made me so naseous they had to follow it with a chaser. I nearly got addicted to the stuff in Trinidad. I sure don't recommend it... :straightface:

jennifer easton
12-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Julie, hey babe, hope your recovery is swift!! you'll definitely be one of the cuties here, hell you were hot before!! I know how long and hard you've worked at this, your almost there, a couple more weeks to heal and the person thats been in your heart all these years will finally be looking back through the mirror love ya sis, take care! always your friend Jenni

Zenith
12-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Stephanie S told me the first 24 hours or so are hell, and every day after is a gift. That's accurate. Looking in the mirror is freaking me out. One thing between the incisions in the scalp line, the staples, and the matting/tangling, you do lose a lot of hair. Will prolly need a cut, but hoping most will grow back.

Kaitlyn Michele
12-04-2011, 09:05 AM
It will..but it takes some time...i lost my natural widow's peak..

I hope you feel better and better

Aprilrain
12-04-2011, 10:04 AM
.i lost my natural widow's peak..

Really? Hmm! something to look forward to.

which reminds me when i was a kid my sisters told me I had a widows peak. I thought that because it had the word "widow" in it that meant it was a female trait. I was excited about that until i explained my reasoning to my sisters and they said "no dumbass only boys have widows peaks" I was devastated! LOL

Zenith
12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
It will..but it takes some time...i lost my natural widow's peak..

I hope you feel better and better

That's the goal, you want a nice round female scalpline. Though the temporary loss of hair is considerable. Things are waking up and I feel like scratching my face off...o_O. Still cannot thank Stephanie S enough for everything, even waiting with me presurgery at 6 am. And Angel for opening her home. It's so nice here. There are some truly awesome members on the forums...

Stephenie S
12-04-2011, 01:09 PM
So I am home again after a fun (for me) few days in Boston with Julie. Julie is a lovely young woman with GORGEOUS hair that she loves to flip and fling about like a fashion model. I am SO jealous.

We both visited Dr Spiegel that first afternoon at his new digs in Chestnut Hill. The girls in the office gave us a certificate good for a nice discount at a beautiful spa nearby so I got a pedicure while Julie got a shampoo and blow dry. Ahh, luxury.

We had a wonderful pre-op dinner at the Union Oyster House. How does someone from the midwest (Julie) know anything about restaurants in Boston? Well she did. It was great and we sat right across from President Kennedy's reserved booth.

Then off to BUMC in the early morning for check-in. They told me to come back at 11AM. Well I did, but Julie was in NO condition to visit. I decided to go down to Quincy Market to walk around. On the way I passed the Boston OWS tent city so I parked the car and walked back to see it. I felt so touristy that I asked a gentleman who was washing dishes if I could help. So my new friend Bill and I washed dishes for almost two hours. I had a ball.

Then back to BUMC to find Julie out of PACU and up in her room on the 8th floor. All Dr S's patients end up on the 8th floor. She was still kinda out of it. She couldn't really talk but she did get up to pee which was really good for her. John, her nurse, was very considerate and I could tell he was trying hard to care for her. That evening I took off to visit my friend Maureen. She was not home so I came back to Boston for the night.

The guys at the front desk told me on the phone that I could not visit until 12 noon. By that time Julie was recovered enough to be ready and anxious to leave. Check out was easy and we made it back to the motel. Poor Julie was skating that thin line between pain relief and nausea. The more pain meds she took, the more nauseous she became. No fun at all.

By noon the next day, Julie's friend Angel arrived to take Julie to her home in western Mass. I beat it back to Vermont.

Julie is (was) really cute to begin with. Dr Spiegel's work was obvious and shone through the swelling. She is gonna be absolutely gorgeous. I could see the results clearly when she took the bandages off to clean the incision. Throughout the whole ordeal Julie met each new challenge with grace and (mostly) good humor. She is a lovely young woman.

Stephie

Zenith
12-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Lol Steph...yeah I was pretty scared, naseous, and sleep deprived and did get a little snarly. But I am so thankful you came up and helped. Hope we can do some purely fun stuff again soon.

"Lovies". *wink* *wink* :")

Stephenie S
12-04-2011, 03:33 PM
OMG, dear. I would NEVER describe you as "snarly".

S

AllieSF
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Squirrels can be snarly sometimes!

Zenith
12-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Squirrels can be snarly sometimes!

Oh? Really? :gg:

AllieSF
12-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Especially when they get stuck in your house when they would really like to be foot loose and fancy free outside. Yes, very snarly.

SherriePall
12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Julie -- I hope you are feeling better by now and that your recovery continues without any problems. Just take care.

Zenith
12-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Right now fatigue is the major issue. Pain and nausea diminised, digestion system online. You are going to want as much post op time and care as you can arrange...

erika130
12-05-2011, 06:57 PM
wow Julie another milestone! I dont keep up much with the forum but definitively best wishes for a healthy & speedy recovery :) & thanks for keeping us updated! Take care :hugs:

Inna
12-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Hey Julie, Zenith, Squirrel....................Am I missing something...oh it must be all that bone was taken out :eek:

All that pain and I bet if you had to do it again you would......such is pursuit of true self, unmistakable and real!
Snarly or not, you gonna be a knockout babe!

LUV, Inna

Zenith
12-07-2011, 01:58 PM
I swear today I can feel that titanium plate...(not all surgeons do this, and the endoscopic ones never)...

Sally24
12-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I swear today I can feel that titanium plate...

At least when aliens invade they won't be able to read your mind!:devil:

Aprilrain
12-07-2011, 02:07 PM
I swear today I can feel that titanium plate...(not all surgeons do this, and the endoscopic ones never)...

is that just an observation or is it a bad thing?

Zenith
12-07-2011, 02:18 PM
is that just an observation or is it a bad thing?

I trust Spiegel with him being chief of craniofacial at Boston Medical. He feels an endoscopic technique cannot determine the thickness of the browbone and can compromise the sinus cavity. So you get a fully opened forehead and screws and plates. The pain is a bit higher but you can get rid of a lot more bone. Either or, you pick and takes your chances...

I would also add that the initial stuff that made me pissy about Spiegel is forgotten. He added a considerable amount of work to make the transition to my lower face at no extra charge. And sent me flowers!

AllieSF
12-07-2011, 02:32 PM
You definitely deserve flowers Julie! I am glad that you are back and hope all is going well for you. Now when recovered, you need a trip out west away from all that cold and misery. You will definitely have a very good tour guide and conversationalist to get you around.

Andy66
12-07-2011, 05:16 PM
OMG, Julie, you've been through a lot. I'm sure it will all be worth it though. I can't wait to see pictures when you're ready.

...You have a titanium plate in your head? That's fascinating. Will it set off metal detectors in airports? Now will you be able to mess with those annoying Transportation Security people? :devil:

Zenith
12-07-2011, 05:33 PM
OMG, Julie, you've been through a lot. I'm sure it will all be worth it though. I can't wait to see pictures when you're ready.

...You have a titanium plate in your head? That's fascinating. Will it set off metal detectors in airports? Now will you be able to mess with those annoying Transportation Security people? :devil:
I don't think so since it's nonmagnetic. Will ask if it shows up on scanners. Do know if they get smug with me, they will see way fast I have a vagina. (post-op)

CharleneT
12-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Don't worry, I've been thru those scanners both as pre** and post op, they don't care either way. Of course, they really don't care about visible surgery hardware -- they see that stuff all day long ;)

Congrats on coming thru this surgery so well :) :) :)

** the TSA folks treated me very politely, and as a female - there was no delay in processing even though the person reading the scan could obviously see the "difference"

Starling
12-08-2011, 05:19 PM
I think if they're going to scan you, they should at least give you a souvenir copy.

:heehee: Lallie

AKAMichelle
12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I trust Spiegel with him being chief of craniofacial at Boston Medical. He feels an endoscopic technique cannot determine the thickness of the browbone and can compromise the sinus cavity. So you get a fully opened forehead and screws and plates. The pain is a bit higher but you can get rid of a lot more bone. Either or, you pick and takes your chances...

I would also add that the initial stuff that made me pissy about Spiegel is forgotten. He added a considerable amount of work to make the transition to my lower face at no extra charge. And sent me flowers!

You really sound happy about how everything turned out. I can't wait to see the end results.

Zenith
12-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Well a quick update for those who aren't on FB. I'm still thinking about posting some hospital shots that Steph took. Was a rough night a week or so ago... :straightface:

Seemed like forever to get the sutures and staples out today. So nice not to have those little metal bas***ds in my skull. But some sutures pulled. So I got multiple lidocaine injections in my head. Then a bunch of new lovely self dissolving sutures. I felt the damn needle. :cry: The docs were very thrilled with the healing otherwise. Spiegel wants me to send pics, he literally said ; "...you are our cover model..." haha

The TSA was not thrilled about my cold gel pack. Even though it fit in the TSA bag. So I got the works. Twice. With body scanner. But yah, a male TSA agent unpacking my vaginal dilator from it's case, WILL drop it like a hot rock when told what it is. So funny. I guess. :straightface:

Did ask for special needs on the flight. Got moved to an aisle by myself right behind first class with a ton of legroom. And got to board first. Weird getting on the plane all by myself. Glad though that I didn't have to dodge people swinging carry ons into overhead bins.

So I'm home with a sore and stinging head. Will try to update again soon...

Ugh.

Starling
12-10-2011, 03:53 AM
So are you saying you didn't skip up and down the center aisle singing, "I Feel Pretty"?

AllieSF
12-10-2011, 04:28 AM
Welcome home Julie. Go slow, sleep well, dream of us and please feed the squirrel. Hugs and stuff.

Zenith
12-10-2011, 09:45 AM
So are you saying you didn't skip up and down the center aisle singing, "I Feel Pretty"?

Yeah sure, like those gals skipping down the hospital corridor at the end of the week of their SRS. I collapsed in the shower. I hate to be the reality check, but transition is a not all rainbows and lollipops (God I sound like another longtime member here).

I didn't expect to be pretty soon, or really ever. But you just get tired of looking like Frankenstein. Oh well, maybe my mood will change later. Doesn't help that my hair is a matted mess of squirrel fur.

:umbrella:

Starling
12-10-2011, 05:59 PM
...transition is a not all rainbows and lollipops...

I think I'm catching on: forget lavender and moonbeams, too, 'cause these goofy trans-surgeries are more like being drawn and quartered. Mama!

:eek: Lallie

Zenith
12-10-2011, 10:41 PM
Here I am couple days post op and 9 days post op. No makeup whatsoever, wet matted hair, eyebrows needing care...swelling going down every day...

Zenith
12-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Two more...scar and a close up webcam...tonight (9 days)

"Mary"
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I was just think of you a little while ago, wondering how you were doing. I think that smile says it all. Very pretty Julie. I'm glad this is turning out so well for you.

Inna
12-10-2011, 11:38 PM
It still amazes me how much pain we can take with the smile on our sutured, swollen and bruised face to uncover the girl within whom we known for entire lifetime but who was overshadowed by his artificial presence. There are those who say that we do this in order to escape life struggles..................WOW, what an escape it is!!!!!
Hon, throughout all those pics you have this beautiful smile which warms my soul.

I have started to use SHEA Butter on all the heeling sutures after about 3 weeks, it is an amazing cream made of all natural, tree nut from Africa. Look it up, it simply makes redness vanish and heels like on a 1 year old.

heal fast Titanium lady!

Love, Inna

Stephenie S
12-10-2011, 11:38 PM
I stood beside Julie when she first took off the bandages. We stood side by side staring into the mirror. The work that Spiegel had done was obvious and stunning. I could see her beauty that day, only two days post op. It shone through the swelling like a light. Julie is not the first Spiegel alumnae I have been seen up close and personal. He is an artist.

The pain? Horrible at first. The first 24 hours are almost unbearable, but each day thereafter is a day of improvement. And eventually? It's all a faint memory.

FFS and breast augmentation are by far the most painful. SRS is a walk in the park by comparison.

I am glad you are finally home, Julie. I will remember you and our time together fondly. Would you like the pictures I took in the hospital? Maybe I should post them here? JUST KIDDING, dear. Just kidding.

Stephie

Starling
12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
...We stood side by side staring into the mirror. The work that Spiegel had done was obvious and stunning...Stephie

Spiegel is German for "mirror," by the way.

Jorja
12-11-2011, 12:07 AM
You just wait for a little while until everything heals and has had a chance to settle. You will be on top of the world because you are going to be gorgeous. I remember after my FFS and SRS I felt like I had gone 15 rounds with Mohamed Ali and then got run over by a full cement truck and then it backed up over me a couple of times. It is hell becoming a girl but so worth it!;)

Zenith
12-11-2011, 01:18 AM
...I will remember you and our time together fondly. Would you like the pictures I took in the hospital? Maybe I should post them here? JUST KIDDING, dear. Just kidding.

Stephie

As I, and I hope to see you again soon. Did you see they broke up OWS Boston? I drove by with Sara when the news crews were setting up. Been trying to call you. Please send the hospital pics to my Gmail account and I'll post...that was a rough time...:straightface:

IamSara
12-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Julie, You look great!!! The scar on your forehead looks really painful but the beauty shines through in your gorgeous smile. Once the swelling goes down you will be absolutely beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your journey through FFS

Zenith
12-11-2011, 03:10 PM
I've had 2/3 of these including soft tissue and bone work. Will have 3/3 very soon. I suspect it's like this(YMMV):
SRS drains your body like nothing else and the recovery period is the very longest. It changes your physiology.
FFS with bone work is the most intensely painful of all (think about all the nerves in the face) but it tapers off.
BA (especially with larger implants or different methods of incision) is more sustained soreness and discomfort.

Starling
12-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Demonstrating that, even when it comes to pain, variety is the spice of life.

Genivieve
12-12-2011, 02:18 PM
So brave of you! You look completely like a woman!

Zenith
12-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Still hoping Steph will send me the hospital pics to post. In the meantime here I am with my ace bandage wrap...

Sarah V
12-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Keep up your great sense of humor while you recouperate. A positive outlook will surely dull the pain a bit.

Zenith
12-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Here I am at two weeks...but still can't pluck my brows, do my hair, or use makeup...grrr....

Steph, send me the hospital pics!

Aprilrain
12-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Looking good Julie! "....................

Zenith
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Here I am at about 3 weeks. Big difference between this and 2 weeks is the eyes are opening up more from the blepharoplasty. Compare to the first post op pic I posted. Just rolled out of bed, with mussy hair in my bathrobe. I cannot wait to do my hair, makeup and eyebrows...just throw on some female cues finally...

AllieSF
12-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Awe, now aren't you just the prettiest little squirrel up from a nice sleep in your nest. You really do look wonderful and I truly do see a very contented comfortable look in your eyes and face. I think that you know that it was all worth it already. Thanks for sharing.

PS: Maybe you need a cute young squirrel avatar without the bandage?

IamSara
12-21-2011, 03:20 PM
You are really looking beautiful!!! I love they work that Spiegel did. Keep us posted on your continued recovery.

Zenith
01-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Finally got they hospital pics back from Steph! Here are a couple, and if she gives me the OK I will post one of us together in Boston the night before...and that will close out this thread. I'll post some made up pics in another...

One is a few hours after in the hospital...with my octopus (glove filled with ice) and oxygen, the other is I think the second day in the hotel...

Jonianne
01-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Oh........My. I'm so glad you are doing much better, now!

Zenith
01-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Oh........My. I'm so glad you are doing much better, now!

Thanks, suture line almost closed then I can finally get this hair cut, brows done, makeup!!! :D

ReineD
01-01-2012, 07:04 PM
You look really good, Julie. Congratulations! :)

I see from this thread that you had a blepharoplasty procedure. Was this upper and lower eyes? (I'd like to get mine done one day, to get rid of the hooded eyelid look, and also do something about the under eye bags. I'm beginning to look like all my old aunts. :p). You also got your brow done, I see the suture line in your pic @119. Was there anything else? It doesn't appear so from the pic with no bangages on.

Was the pain as bad as everyone says? Did the meds help keep the pain under control?

Zenith
01-01-2012, 07:20 PM
You look really good, Julie. Congratulations! :)

I see from this thread that you had a blepharoplasty procedure. Was this upper and lower eyes? (I'd like to get mine done one day, to get rid of the hooded eyelid look, and also do something about the under eye bags. I'm beginning to look like all my old aunts. :p). You also got your brow done, I see the suture line in your pic @119. Was there anything else? It doesn't appear so from the pic with no bangages on.

Was the pain as bad as everyone says? Did the meds help keep the pain under control?

The blepharoplasty was upper along with some work on the upper bridge of the nose to open up the eyes. I had a scalp advance/browlift that resulted in over 1 1/2 inches of new hairline and removed frownlines. The eyebrows were re-positioned during this too. Then a forehead contour with a titanium plate. The browridge was removed, reshaped, then reattached with titanium screws. Finally per Dr. Ousterhout's recommendation, Dr. Spiegel put dermal fat grafts in my temples to smooth depressions there.

The pain was the most intense I ever experienced, due to it being facial bone work. But it tapered off quickly unlike SRS. I have had separate soft tissue work (Rhinoplasty and Chondrolaryngeoplasty) and these were not even close to being as painful.

Not sure if you saw it but I posted the two week old pic in the pic gallery along with a celeb I seem to look like at the moment. :D Cannot wait till I can take a made up pic!

Edit: Remember my entire upper forehead was opened up with staples down the sides in my hairline and sutures on top. So everything was done internally, which saved me some outer sutures...like this...

Starling
01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Good God, kid, Happy New Year!

ReineD
01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
OMG ... :beatup: ... I don't blame you for being alarmed before surgery! :nailbiting:

Is all the pain gone now?

I'll go hunt for your pic in the Gallery, but again, you look beautiful, Julie. :hugs:

If ever I decide to erase the strain of my last few years from my eyes, I'll come knocking at your door and you can give me some tips? :)

Edit - after all that, you should be good to go for forehead wrinkles? As you age, your likelihood of getting any is small?

Zenith
01-02-2012, 12:49 AM
...If ever I decide to erase the strain of my last few years from my eyes, I'll come knocking at your door and you can give me some tips? :)

...Edit - after all that, you should be good to go for forehead wrinkles? As you age, your likelihood of getting any is small?

A good one to talk to would be Kaitlyn Michelle. She had a blepharoplasty with Spiegel by itself, before she had the full FFS with Meltzer. You could PM her or maybe she will see this...a blepharo is a very good youthfulness procedure...

The corrugator muscle is cut and the skin pulled tight so any frown lines are gone. Again, I should post a side by side to compare how much forehead is gone now, including wrinkles...

Zenith
01-17-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm deleting all pics here since this is the open forum. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM.