PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance During and After Transition

Starling
11-17-2011, 05:09 AM
I searched for this and didn't find anything. Can and do car insurers raise premiums or cancel existing policies because the insured has changed his/her gender identification? I would think this is a topic that transcended borders.

:) Lallie

PS: When I googled it, for some reason, the only hits I got were in the UK. Admittedly, I quit after ten minutes or so.

Jorja
11-17-2011, 07:42 AM
After my gender identification was changed to female I went to my insurance agent to talk about this very subject. The policy that was in my male name was canceled and a new policy was written in my female name as I sat in the office. I did not ever go without insurance. Contact your agent for a clear explanation of your insurance company's policy.

Kaitlyn Michele
11-17-2011, 07:47 AM
lallie, mine did not change...

i called my agent, told him what was going on, and when my name was legally changed , i changed it on my insurance..

bing bang boom

Frances
11-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Mine did not change during my transition. I will be calling them next Wednesday to update the name and gender information. I will let you know if I got a reduction for being a woman now.

Aprilrain
11-17-2011, 08:48 AM
No change. She even changed my name and gender BEFORE the state did in anticipation of the change! Real nice lady, then again I have lots of insurance with that company including home owners renters and at the time watercraft, motorcycle and 2 vehicles.

I know you didnt ask but my health insurance DID go up about $200 a month! And of course I still have (and will always have) certain male parts that will now not be covered should something go wrong. Oh well no one said transition was cheap!

Rianna Humble
11-17-2011, 01:12 PM
I searched for this and didn't find anything. Can and do car insurers raise premiums or cancel existing policies because the insured has changed his/her gender identification? I would think this is a topic that transcended borders.

The European Court of Human Rights recently ruled that it is unlawful in countries covered by their remit to vary premiums according to gender. The men who brought the case were expecting their premiums to drop as a result of this, but instead, women's premiums were raised :angry:

Starling
11-17-2011, 02:05 PM
So there's good news and bad news, but the good news is pretty darn good, so far. April, that's bizarre about your male parts no longer being covered. They're in you! Does anybody do a prophylactic prostatectomy as part of SRS?

I hope ReneeT adds to this thread, as she's in the insurance business.

Julia_in_Pa
11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
I experienced no change after transition

Julia

Frances
11-17-2011, 02:19 PM
April, that's bizarre about your male parts no longer being covered. They're in you! Does anybody do a prophylactic prostatectomy as part of SRS?

April did not mention specific parts. Prostates are not removed since they atrophy to the size of a woman's. Yes, woman have prostates (tiny ones) and prostate cancer as well. I don't see how insurance would not cover it in a trans woman case.

Zenith
11-17-2011, 02:22 PM
I was "tiered" and my premiums went up 10%...:angry:

Aprilrain
11-17-2011, 03:31 PM
they may cover prostate cancer in woman but they sure wouldn't cover a prostate exam! the goal of insurance is to NOT pay for stuff so whatever they can get away with they will. anyway they didn't specify what coverages changed they just told me that if I changed my gender my coverages WOULD change certain things that were covered would no longer be covered and certain things that would not have been covered are now covered. since I don't have any female parts other than my boobettes and this giant cilt, it doesn't do me any good though.

Starling
11-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Frances, I had no idea women had prostates. I'm feeling more female already...Sorry you got tiered, Jules. And April, you may become a test case.

PS: Since we've broadened the discussion to include other forms of insurance, I'm saying right now I'll be pretty pissed if they raise my earthquake premium.

crystalann
11-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I had no trouble with my car and house insurance. But when it came to my health I was having a hard time getting my name changed and it took over 6 months to get the gender marker done. It's funny because they have tents set up all the time at the pride event's, and say that they are LGBT friendly? :Pullhair:

Zenith
11-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I had no trouble with my car and house insurance. But when it came to my health I was having a hard time getting my name changed and it took over 6 months to get the gender marker done. It's funny because they have tents set up all the time at the pride event's, and say that they are LGBT friendly? :Pullhair:

God yes, I don't know how many times I went back and forth with Blue Cross...:straightface:

crystalann
11-17-2011, 09:46 PM
It's funny I did not say Blue Cross but you are so right, I went back and forth with them.:bonk:
God yes, I don't know how many times I went back and forth with Blue Cross...:straightface:

Zenith
11-17-2011, 11:17 PM
It's funny I did not say Blue Cross but you are so right, I went back and forth with them.:bonk:

Surgery declaration letter notarized, court order, driver's license, call after call, month after month...I was ready to drive there and lift my skirt asking if that was clear enough now??? :witsend:

melissaK
11-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Would seem in perfectly logical Spockian world, that only your name would change on the insurance. Your genetic makeup - most likely XY chromosomes, or XX for the FTM's, doesn't change. And MTF's remain in the shorter male life span group, FTM's in the longer lived XX group. (See, e.g. Barbara Mideon, Females Are Mosaics : X Inactivation and Sex Differences in Disease, 2007).

While Migeon's book doesn't discuss transexualism, I think her reasoning and research make it likely transexualism is an X chromosome genetic variation. Because both XX (women) and XY (men) can have the trait, its not likely a Y chromosome problem or only XY's would have it. Then she (Migeon) postulates that conditions that are more prevalent in XY (men) than XX (women) are because each X in a women makes up 1/2 the cells of a woman, so if there's a defect in an X, only 1/2 the cells have it. Obviously I am greatly oversimplifying as I am reducing her whole book to a sentence or two; her book is worth reading.

hugs,
'lissa

Aprilrain
11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Would seem in perfectly logical Spockian world, that only your name would change on the insurance. Your genetic makeup - most likely XY chromosomes, or XX for the FTM's, doesn't change. And MTF's remain in the shorter male life span group, FTM's in the longer lived XX group. (See, e.g. Barbara Mideon, Females Are Mosaics : X Inactivation and Sex Differences in Disease, 2007).

The problem with that logic is that insurance decides what gets covered by your gender marker not your chromosomes. even if a person does have XY chromosomes, If she has been on hormones for a significant period of time she not only has boobs but a higher risk of breast cancer (higher than a male that is). If she has had SRS she will require visits to the gynecologist for vaginal exams, etc. If she is sexed "male" simply because of her chromosomes then she would have to pay for all of that out of pocket because those things are not covered for males.

Genetics research is interesting and all but focusing on genes as a tell all for gender has no practical day to day application in a TSes life, at this time.

Frances
11-18-2011, 10:27 AM
The problem with that logic is that insurance decides what gets covered by your gender marker not your chromosomes. even if a person does have XY chromosomes, If she has been on hormones for a significant period of time she not only has boobs but a higher risk of breast cancer (higher than a male that is). If she has had SRS she will require visits to the gynecologist for vaginal exams, etc. If she is sexed "male" simply because of her chromosomes then she would have to pay for all of that out of pocket because those things are not covered for males.

Genetics research is interesting and all but focusing on genes as a tell all for gender has no practical day to day application in a TSes life, at this time.

I would also add that some women are XY and some men are XX, not counting all the other variations. Insurance companies do not do chromosome exams. In fact, nobody does except on House, if there is a medical mystery or if someone is intersexed (not sure if they still do even in that case). The vast majority of people do not know their karyotype or the one of others.

Deborah_UK
11-19-2011, 03:18 AM
It was a couple of years ago now, but when I rang my insurance company to change the details on my car insurance the broker said "congratulations, your premium has now gone down as a woman driver", but as Rianna says, the European Courts have now said that its illegal to discriminate between men and women, so my premiums have risen again :Angry3: