PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing and Cultural Expectations

KellyJameson
11-17-2011, 03:05 PM
"Masculinity versus its opposite, femininity refers to the distribution of roles between the genders which is another fundamental issue for any society to which a range of solutions are found. The IBM studies revealed that (a) women’s values differ less among societies than men’s values; (b) men’s values from one country to another contain a dimension from very assertive and competitive and maximally different from women’s values on the one side, to modest and caring and similar to women’s values on the other. The assertive pole has been called ‘masculine’ and the modest, caring pole ‘feminine’.

For example, Germany has a masculine culture with a 66 on the scale of Hofstede (Netherlands 14). Masculine traits include assertiveness, materialism/material success, self-centeredness, power, strength, and individual achievements. The United States scored a 62 on Hofstede’s scale. So these two cultures share, in terms of masculinity, similar values."

A male born with or having acquired the values traditionally associated with womens values would find it very stressful to live in a masculine culture and would experience this as a relentless attack on their very identity and worth as a human being if they could not adapt by suppressing their emotions, at least this is what my childhood and early adult years felt like and one reason I crossdress is to assert my right to be me, it is an act of rebellion as well as a form of escape from the forces that try to change me but yet I am not able to completely escape my past and that is why I become relaxed when I see myself in womans clothes because than the outside matches what I have always been "accused" of being ( acting like a girl ) I wonder if the mind would know what sex it is if there was no way to learn through comparison with others or if no one told you that you are a boy or girl. Sex is assigned to us by the world based on our physical bodies along with the expected behavior and perhaps MtF and FtM is for survival against this and how far we take it depends on the temperament we were born with and the harm done to us from conflict with others when we fail to do what is expected of us. A form of damage control.

Any Thoughts ?

Karren H
11-17-2011, 03:20 PM
That explains why Germany invaded and ocupied Holland during WW II!!

Veronica27
11-17-2011, 03:46 PM
A very interesting topic. I agree with you that crossdressing can be an act of rebellion and escape. These are both "values" that tend to be more toward the accepted masculine side of things than feminine, so in essence when we crossdress we are expressing more of our masculinity than usual. This tends to refute some of the "transgender" rhetoric.

I don't know how these characteristics are measured, weighted and compared on the Hofstede scale, as they are very subjective and influenced by the necessities of each culture. I would have to give this topic some deep thought before offering any further opinions, but I don't have the time right now as I am preparing for a much needed holiday and have to run shortly. Hopefully, there will be some interesting contributions from the members.

Veronica

kimdl93
11-17-2011, 03:48 PM
For example, Germany has a masculine culture with a 66 on the scale of Hofstede (Netherlands 14). Masculine traits include assertiveness, materialism/material success, self-centeredness, power, strength, and individual achievements. The United States scored a 62 on Hofstede’s scale. So these two cultures share, in terms of masculinity, similar values."
Any Thoughts ?

I don't recall responding to this Hofstede's survey.

Rianna Humble
11-17-2011, 07:55 PM
I wonder if the mind would know what sex it is if there was no way to learn through comparison with others or if no one told you that you are a boy or girl.

If the mind only "knows" you are a boy or a girl based upon what you are told, then why did my mind know I was a girl when all around me were saying "you are a boy"?

KellyJameson
11-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi Rianna, Yes! This is the exact question I have for myself that I'm trying to answer and why I keep coming back to the conclusion that I must have a female mind in a male body because why would I act the way I do otherwise.

But when I think of female versus male I do not see specific behavior that is only attributed to one sex over the other, only what has been defined by the world as feminine and masculine and this is different from one culture to the next. It is very frustrating and I can see why most would rather just accept who they are and enjoy it and in truth this is probably wise but I can be very stubborn when it comes to trying to understand my own behavior because I have found in the long run it is very rewarding to know oneself deeply.

I know my crossdressing is partially a reaction to being emotionally violated by the truths of life and it is a form of escape from these harsh realities.That my mind was born to sensitive to live in a world ruled by the laws of the jungle and survival of the
fittest and daily I'm disgusted by what we do to each other in the name of survival. I seek escape from ugly truth into beautiful illusion as a way to manage the stress this awareness causes me and this is perfectly acceptable to me because I know it is by choice through awareness.

I know I use it to give myself permission to have the feelings that I was not allowed to have as a child because this would be to show weakness and than I would be attacked with words or fists and this is perfectly acceptable to me as a form of therapy to heal the damage done to me.

But at it's core crossdressing is a existential crisis that I have resolved with a dress which for me works much better than religion. Perhaps as long as we are beautiful we think we will not die. I am perfectly fine with accepting that my mind needs illusions to cope with the reality of my mortality, I just want to be aware of what they are otherwise I'm setting myself up for depression and or addiction, two things I have managed to avoid so far in life.

If crossdressing is nothing more than adaptation through fantasy fine, that is actually good news, but if it is actually the expression of a mind that is in the wrong body than that is a big problem even though knowing that would solve many past mysteries concerning my behavior over the years and would be the simplest answer. Occam's razor

There probably is no way to answer these questions and in the end it must be a leap of faith and a throw of the dice and I'm cool with that but first I must try