PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Some good press on cross dressing.

MaxineF
10-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Just found this one while google searching...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/337745.stm

Made me smile...

Hope everyone has had a great weekend, I have just arrived back at home and it's nice to get back into some house shoes :)

Keep well girls

Maxine

Lilith Moon
10-22-2005, 05:46 AM
Just found this one while google searching...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/337745.stm

Made me smile...

Hope everyone has had a great weekend, I have just arrived back at home and it's nice to get back into some house shoes :)

Keep well girls

Maxine

Great, but some busybody conservative is given the last word:
'Nick Seaton, of the traditionalist Campaign for Real Education, described the idea as "ridiculous".

He said: "It's inviting cross dressing, which could cause gender confusion and damage a child. "'

Lauren_T
10-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Ya. The author of that piece, in fairness, is certainly a junior staff writer, quite likely an intern...

That said, it's pathetic that she / he doesn't know better than to simply parrot this man's deluded humbug without qualifying it, e.g., '(Seaton) said: "It's inviting cross dressing, which could cause gender confusion and damage a child.' It should be noted that no scientific studies exist to support Mr. Seaton's assertion.

Natalie x
10-22-2005, 06:50 AM
But Nick Seaton, of the traditionalist Campaign for Real Education, described the idea as "ridiculous".
He said: "It's inviting cross dressing, which could cause gender confusion and damage a child.

Whereas, if they follow the traditionalist's route, they could end up bigoted like him!

Lauren_T
10-22-2005, 07:10 AM
Grace, there you are; you have discovered the secret of how bigots reproduce...:p

Odette30UK GG
10-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Maybe someone with guts should write to the bbc and ask them to do a documentary or a news piece on Cross Dressing.... the only way to get people thinking about this is to let them see how many people out there are actually involved in this issue.

Think about it... since WW2 women have dressed in mens clothes, the Gays have come out of their closets and have broadcasted it all over the television, radio and publications, so why can't we all do the same for the Cd/Ts/Tg community.....
In our town theres a place called 'Funny girls' which is where some men dress up as women and serve behind a bar or strutt their stuff on the stage.
Its a very popular place according to some. And needless to say it attracts all sorts, but if bars and pubs are Gay friendly now a days they should all be Cd/Ts/Tg friendly.

If society was like this, there would be less closet doors closed and more acceptance.

WHY can't it be like that?

I want my husband to be able to walk down the road dressed in what ever clothes he wants.

Waffle waffle waffle...

Hugs
Odette
XxxxxX

ChrissyCrossedLegs
10-22-2005, 08:13 AM
When I am good, I am good, when I am brilliant, well.. just bow.. lmao...

Anyone wishing to contact out Mr. Seaton, all this info can be found on this web page: http://www.cre.org.uk/re.html

Campaign for Real Education
18 Westlands Grove, Stockton Lane, York YO31 1EF. Tel. 01904 424134 or 07775 656608 Chairman: Nick Seaton.
I can not find an email address for this idiot, but I haven't given up just yet!
SammyJo

oztallulah
10-22-2005, 08:14 AM
Well said Odette, and going along with the rest. I just find it amazing that quite often the 'authorities' duck for cover and run into the sunset to keep out of 'domestic violence' situations, yet CD's are targetted as fair game at times when they are bored. Girls, I am not getting on my soap box, but, as far as the majority of Pollies go, they need a cracker where the sun don't shine. (I must have another Chardonney, quickly)

Andrea

melissacd
10-22-2005, 09:45 AM
It is interesting that Nick Seaton makes the comment:

===================
But Nick Seaton, of the traditionalist Campaign for Real Education, described the idea as "ridiculous".

He said: "It's inviting cross dressing, which could cause gender confusion and damage a child.
===================

If one follows that train of logic, knowing that females can dress as either male or as female, does that mean that women are gender confused and their childhoods have been damaged? I am sure if you ask most women they would say that that statement is ridiculous too. ;)

Huggs and thanks for showing us that article. It is encouraging that some people are moving towards a more enlightened way of thinking.

Huggs
Melissa

TGMarla
10-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Ooooh! Look at me! I'm "damaged"!

Shannon
10-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Excellent point, Melissa.
It seems to me that the coverage CDs/TVs/TSs get in the media is somewhat "sensational". The local news will cover the gay pride parade and activities as a news-worthy event; they don't seem to do trailers for it like "See the gays parade tonight at 11!". Now-days, it is no big deal. On the other hand, MSNBC ran a documentary on a TS, and the trailers for it was more evocative of "secret life" and "forbidden desire". And when J. Edgar Hoover and some sportcaster (Marv Alpert???) were found out as crossdressers, the jokes went on for weeks and weeks. But perhaps this is progress, and if you look back at the evolution of acceptance of any minority group, it is not an easy path and takes, unfortunately, generations. At least the pace of change seems to be accelerating.

uknowhoo
10-22-2005, 11:40 AM
For obvious reasons, I have never divulged my true identity here on the forum. But I feel like I must defend the reputation of Mr. Nick Seaton, of the traditionalist Campaign for Real Education, for these unfouned attacks on his character. Once you get to know me, um, him, he is really a very good and decent fellow, a family man who, although straight, does love puppies and pretty flowers. And oh yes, lovely chifon gowns, stiletto heels (the higher the better) and oooh that feeling of having the corset laces pulled tighter and tighter until you're not sure if the reason you can harldy breathe is physical or erotic.
Ahem, well, it would seem that I have begun to ramble a bit in my defense. That is to say, my defense of that fine pillar of our society, Mr. Nick Seaton.
Thank you for listening and being open minded. Hugs, Nxxx Tammi

Odette30UK GG
10-22-2005, 12:03 PM
So when did you change proffessions and countries?

ChrissyCrossedLegs
10-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Well then I look forward to talking to you on Monday morning Tammi.. sorry i mean Nick.. sorry I mean Tammi.

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately, Seaton was able to exploit the need for "balance" used in "objective journalism" (terrible name, what's really meant is "impartial" journalism. I once was a journalism and it's one of the conventions that you seek out an opposing viewpoint.

Unfortunately, this leads to "he said, she said" reporting where it appears each side has equal weight, regardless of how much evidence they've got to support their position. It's particularly problematic when one side is at best misinformed and at worse outright lying. In this case, I agree the story was probably done by a junior staff who was too inexperienced to ask the obvious question about what research Seaton had. But I once covered an ongoing story where one side's representative turned out to be a pathological liar. I had to quote him, since he was the "official" spokesman of that side, but I ended up noting that his previous statements turned out to be unsubstantiated. In the States this has become a bit of discussion within the profession, although there's as yet no agreed upon way to handle.

Probably the best thing to do would be do would be to complain to the BBC (anonymously as need be). Probably also worth bringing the article the attention of the Beaumont Society or other TG advocacy groups that have a public face who could raise a ruckus over it. It obviously won't undo whatever damage was done by this article, but will hopefully make the journalists aware they need to dig a little deeper next time.

Lauren_T
10-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Something else... Right-wing propaganda is a growth industry; the Tories have learned a valuable lesson from their Republican counterparts here, who have been mercilessly bullying and squeezing PBS for broadcasting anything that they deem as critical of the Religious Right's agenda. The Beeb have had to learn not to bite the hands that have a stranglehold on their budget... :eek:

vicki true
10-22-2005, 02:27 PM
politics YUK YUK:mad: