PDA

View Full Version : A sign of progress?

ReneeT
11-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Okay, so this might not seem like a big deal to you all, but something new happened to me today - i got "ma'am"d! This is by no means the first time it has happened, but it is the first for me with no wig, minimal makeup, and unshaven! I was coming back from my electrolysis appt wearing a sater, jeans, flats, and just light eye makeup and hadnt shaved in 2 1/2 days. I stopped at a drive thru for some unhealthy (but yummy) food, in broad daylight, and the middle-aged woman immediately addressed me as ma'am. She did then do a quick double take, but that was enough for me! On cloud 8 coming home! I do hate electrolysis days, though. It not the pain, its the furry face (after about 100 hrs and the fact that it is all grey, it really isnt that bad. It just bugs me, though)

Pamela Kay
11-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Congratulations Renee! I can only imagine how wonderful it feels to be seen as a woman, especially when that is your greatest wish. Draw courage and strength from this to help you further down your path.

AllieSF
11-22-2011, 11:22 PM
I think that is wonderful, especially when a small thing as that one days really means something to you. Of course, I am very happy for you and know that it is only starting. You will receive many more in the future. Now about that electrolysis, the pain is far worse for me than the hair growth, but I truly do understand what you are saying. I had one 2 hour session yesterday and another 2 hours tomorrow. I might as well get those hairs while they are longer before I shave for Thanksgiving. Have a happy turkey day and please eat too much, I know I will.

arbon
11-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Enjoy the feeling :)

Niya W
11-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Renee I know the feeling. Yesterday at Target I Had that happened to me. The guy was like she needs a shop kart. Every time he said she I smiled a bit more . :). No only if I could get ma'am over the phone.

Traci Elizabeth
11-23-2011, 12:53 AM
I understand your joy and you should feel very excited. I was the same at first and was tickled pink for months every time I was "ma'am"d. Then I would feel down when someone would call me sir when I thought I looked like an attractive woman.

It was during the time I was trying to master my female voice and my voice would crackle or go horse because I was straining my voice muscles too much. This was especially true when I was ordering "Fast Food" like you and the only clue they had at that moment when I was placing my order was my voice over their speaker. Half the time they would say "ma'am"d and the other half "sir." Then when I drove around to pay and pick up my order they acted surprised that I was a woman. I got mixed responses on the telephone in the beginning as well.

Those days are long gone, I don't even know what my male voice sounds like anymore and I talk 24/7 in my female voice which I am very pleased with as it is so soft and pleasant to hear. I had the body of a woman to start with so appearance was never an issue for me. And yes, I know how lucky I am to have those feminine looking genes but I paid hell for them growing up as I was the target of hurtful teasing, bullying, and abuse.

But getting back to the "ma'am"d, trust me, you will get to the point that you get "ma'am"d 24/7 wherever you go and the newness quickly wears off. You then feel well yea what else would they call me? duh!

It is really funny to me that in the beginning I was so excited about people thinking a was a woman that I floated on cloud nine all the time. Now, I could care less because I "am" a woman and an attractive one at that if I have to toot my own horn. Now when guys flirt or stare at my breasts, I feel like saying "bug off" or "go get a life." In the beginning I would have died for that attention from men. Not any more.

When you get to the point I am at, you don't think about being a woman simply because you are. And you just go through life normally like any other woman and all the hoopla is a faded memory must of which seems silly and funny now even though it was "all-consuming" during transition.

So Renee, enjoy every moment of acceptance you get as today they mean everything. Tomorrow is another day and what becomes important then will be much different than now but it is a fun, some times difficult, and rewarding the journey we travel.

Zenith
11-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Even better is "miss'ed" or as in Cabela's yesterday..."young lady'ed"... :D

Melody Moore
11-23-2011, 08:40 PM
It is great when I get referred to as a lady when I go into a store or anywhere else public.
However I am 100% convinced that confidence plays a very big part in how people perceive
you. If you appear confident as a woman, then that is how they accept you, but if you appear
shy, withdrawn, nervous or otherwise uncomfortable then people will notice a lot more. I have
had the odd person ask me a question here & there, but 99% of the time noone questions me.

Every time it has happened I have dealt with it maturely & in a way they have always respected
me and accepting of me after I gave my response. I think most people really respect people who
are not afraid to be who they are. They quickly lose their fear in you if you allow them to get to
know you better and just by being a good person and being proud about who you are. That has
been my experience and I also see the same thing has happened in episodes 2 & 3 of the new
reality television series My Transsexual Summer. So a lot of the messages this show is sending
so far is very helpful for trans folk who are coming out.

Rianna Humble
11-23-2011, 10:09 PM
I also see the same thing has happened in episodes 2 & 3 of the new
reality television series My Transsexual Summer.

Don't give too much of the plot away just yet, please. I won't see episode 3 until I can watch it with my dad tomorrow.