PDA

View Full Version : effects of depression on transexualism

Jay Cee
11-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Recently, I have gone into a bit of a depression. The reasons are varied, but I suspect the recent death of my father-in-law, seasonal affected disorder, and the stresses of almost completing my formal trade school education are playing a role. I basically feel hollow inside, and pretty much just don't give a damn about much of anything.

What surprises somewhat is I have pretty much stopped caring about my gender. I still wear androgynous clothing, but the desire to transition has very much vanished.

Any speculations on this? Could it be my brain's way of minimizing stress?

Thanks

Jay Cee

Kaitlyn Michele
11-23-2011, 09:10 AM
If you lose the desire to transition, you should take that as important data to you. Imagine if you felt this way AFTER you transitioned.

Are you under treatment for depression? Based on what you are saying that is a bigger issue right now than any gender issue.

Rather than speculate on whether it's impacting your gender situation, get treatment for the depression, and see how you feel.

Julia_in_Pa
11-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Jay Cee,

This could be any number of things.

Are you on HRT? If you are it could be the effects of such.
This is very common.

If you are not on HRT perhaps it's time for you to be.

Most angst surrounding being transsexual stems from the fact that they are not being able to transition.

Have you been attempting to analyze where your at with all of this thus causing a shut down of sorts due to being overwhelmed?

Are you seeing a therapist? If you are, immediately make an appointment to see them.

If your not go ASAP and see a therapist regardless of whether or not they are versed in TS issues.

It might be wise to give us more detail as to why your feeling melancholy.

Julia

Kimberly Long
11-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Jay Cee, I am in total agreement with Kaitlyn. I delayed my transition many years until I knew it was what I really wanted.
Jay Cee I brought back from Vietnam lots of baggage. With help and time I was able to over come my problems.
If you are not able to afford help and it is expensive you need to start doing something fun for you. Only you know what is fun, but put some of it back into your life. And remember you are the most important person in your life.
I wish you the best and I will pray that you find the answer.
Love Kimberly

*Vanessa*
11-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Ya could be that is what's going on. Stress is nasty.. I'm no doc of any sort but give this a try. When it comes to the brain and making it happy increase your Omega 3 6 9 & 12... Fortified eggs, salmon is good, etc. with supplements. I got this from a top researcher. :)
Maybe talk to your Doc. Hope you get on track soon. :)

arbon
11-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I go through bouts of bad depression but have not experienced that effect on GID specifically.

However, last year I got sick with the flu and for a few days I had that experience of not caring, and thought to myself what is the big deal about being a guy, it's not so bad? That gender dysphoira was not there which I found very interesting because I am so used to it always churning inside at some level.

It was weird.

Starling
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Perhaps when something happens that goes even deeper than gender--to wit, our survival fears, brought on by illness--our body makes lesser problems recede until we are back on firmer ground. To use an extreme example, dysphoria would likely disappear while we were being chased by a bear.

:) Lallie

*Vanessa*
11-23-2011, 01:06 PM
I would agree with that Lallie... We take so little respect of our primal instincts. There is so much going on behind the scenes.

Jay Cee
11-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Jay Cee,

This could be any number of things.

Are you on HRT? If you are it could be the effects of such.
This is very common.

If you are not on HRT perhaps it's time for you to be.

Most angst surrounding being transsexual stems from the fact that they are not being able to transition.

Have you been attempting to analyze where your at with all of this thus causing a shut down of sorts due to being overwhelmed?

Are you seeing a therapist? If you are, immediately make an appointment to see them.

If your not go ASAP and see a therapist regardless of whether or not they are versed in TS issues.

It might be wise to give us more detail as to why your feeling melancholy.

Julia

Julia:

No, I'm not on HRT. I do have an appointment with a doctor specializing in gender issues next month, and have been seeing a counsellor who helps the LGBT community. I also will have an appointment with a psychologist who does GID assessments soon.

I am considering seeing another therapist, just for the "regular" issues I've been having (depression and so forth).

Details? Not sure what else to tell - I shared my basic woes in the first post. As for my TG issues, they've really come to the surface in the past year and a half. Fortunately, my wife understands, and is quite supportive in this matter. No one else in my family knows, although they may have their suspicions.

Edyta_C
11-24-2011, 07:14 PM
I went through a bad bout with depression after losing my brother and my Dad. I had not fully come to terms with my GID. I need to go thru so counseling and get some meds for the depression. After a while I have nearly reduce the meds to zero. The counseling helped, the meds helped, and talking thru the GID here on this forum. It should be easier to work thru the loss of family that dealing with GID. But the gals on here have faced many of the same issue you face or will face. We will be here to chat and help as we can. Having a wife that understands will help. Talk to her! My wife has realized that with enough Edy time, I am so much easier to deal with, just like when we met.

Hugs Edy

Suzette Muguet de Mai
11-24-2011, 09:35 PM
I think you should sit back and take a few deep breaths. I remember when I got through my uni course I became very depressed. I studied all the time for years and had a beautiful lady by my side but we had separated one year before graduation. My graduation day was not a very happy time, I lost my beautiful lady and suddenly I had a life of doing other things other than study. Time may not cure but time does fade and within this time you have time to become a person again.
Maybe a good holiday with your wife, away from those things that remind you of things and ensure a holiday full of things to do so your mind is always occupied with doing other things together. It is time for you both to love and show each other affection and then maybe your depression will subside.

Julia_in_Pa
11-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Jay Cee,

It's good that your seeking out therapy if for nothing more than for an unbiased view of what may be going on here.

I've suffered with moderate to severe depression all of my life.

I'm finally on the meds that allow me to be me without the sadness.

I'm pleased that your seeking out assistance Jay Cee.

Julia