PDA

View Full Version : The Big Lie

Anne2345
11-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Throughout the entirety of my adult life, about two decades and some change, I have been in denial about who and what I am. Only recently have I pulled back the curtains of suppression and disavowal to view again my inner truth.

As a teenager, although I did not know the specific terminology, I knew I was transsexual. And that knowledge scared the absolute hell out of me. In my mind, I knew I must be broken, and I was convinced that this made me an abomination of society.

I hurt much. I did all I could do to alleviate the pain, and to hide from myself and others. But at the core of my being, I wanted and needed to be a woman. In this, I wanted my own breasts, and I wanted my own vagina. I did not want my penis, and I did not want the male body that I had.

Eventually, my efforts at self-deceit and denial began to crumble. The more I thought about myself, the more I hated myself. I did not want to be me. I was not right. I wanted only to be normal, but I was anything but.

At the time, I felt so alone and isolated. I desperately needed help, but I did not know who to turn to, so I turned to no one. Ill-equipped to handle such a burden, I began to hurt myself, and place myself in risky situations where survival was anything but assured. Ultimately, I placed a loaded pistol to the side of my head, with my finger on the trigger. I foolishly believed that the only way to end the pain and suffering I experienced was to end my life.

Obviously, and quite thankfully so, I did not pull the trigger. But I wanted to sooooooo much, that this in and of itself profoundly and fundamentally changed how I perceived and viewed my life.

In this, I knew I was f*cked up. I knew if I changed nothing, that my journey would end quickly thereafter.

So I did the next best thing - I found a new escape. I left my home town and went to college in another state. I went to a state I had not been before, to be among people I had not previously met or known. I started anew, and left my previous life behind. I did not contact my old friends or high school classmates. To this day I still have yet to contact any of my old friends, nor do I have any desire to do so. That life is long dead and past.

With one exception. That which I ran away from, that which I have hidden from myself for all of these years, the truth about myself – it is back. I am who I am. I am what I am. I am transsexual. I have denied it and myself for much too long, and I can deny it no longer.

Acknowledging this simple truth, however, has relieved a massive burden from my soul. Although I recognize that the truth may be simple, I am no fool. I do understand that this has great potential to very much complicate my future. I will worry about that later, though, and for now, just enjoy the basic, life-sustaining exercise of simply breathing easy. In fact, perhaps this is truly the first time I have ever breathed easily, and I must admit, it is nice to do so . . . .

But the thing about this that gets me the most now is how did this happen? I simply cannot wrap my head around the fact that I have suppressed and denied this part of myself for so long. How is it even possible that I did this? Through therapy, research, and introspection, I “get” how this has happened. But this is something that happens to other people. Not me. And yet, I have let this issue mercilessly and methodically strip my mental well-being and sanity away both then and now.

I recognize that no easy answers, if any answers at all, are forth coming. I also recognize that I probably should not dwell on this. But I keep going back to it. I suppose, given everything, it’s kind of hard not to dwell on it, if that makes sense . . . .

Life can be bizarre, huh? Absolutely, completely, totally bizarre . . . .

Julia_in_Pa
11-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Anne,

What you now need to do is walk forward towards transition if that is your goal.

Too many attempt to analyze their condition and their situation ad nauseum which leads to analysis paralysis.

Because of analysis paralysis the person waists years of their lives when they could be living the way they need to.

When the need to be your true self is stronger than your fears that is when action occurs.

If this is what you need to do Anne then stop thinking and start walking forward.

Yes, it is that simple.

Julia

Rianna Humble
11-25-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm glad that acknowledging who you are has lifted a massive burden for you, and can understand your concerns over possible complications for your future, but will your worrying actually achieve anything for you?

Like you, I spent a very long time trying to run away from the reality of who I am, and I could spend hours if not months trying to analyze why I did what I did, but to me that would be counter-productive. The simple fact for me is that the past is the past and until Dr Who comes by with his TARDIS there is nothing I can do to change it.

Time only goes in one direction for us mere humans - forwards, and that is the way that I have chosen to go with my life. I may be going at a snail's pace, but at least I am moving towards being whole for the first time in my life and that is an exciting prospect.

I really hope that you can do the same, Anne, although maybe not quite as slowly as me.

Longing2be-Trisha
11-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Hi Girl Friend!

I know it is weird that something like being transsexual can be suppressed for so long, but we were taught at a very young age that boys are boys and girls are girls. When you know in your heart and soul that what you see on the outside is not what you feel on the inside it creates a great big giant rift in us. We at times let the woman out in secret, she then is locked away once more kicking and screaming behind a barricade of guilt and shame. We are not supposed to be this way, it is satan's work, you are a pervert, fagot, you must be child molester, you are so sick in the head, you can be cured of this illness, etc., etc., etc........ Heard it all felt all the shame, guilt, and pain. Anne You are not alone anymore! We SISTERS must ban together to help one another to help each other regardless of were we are, our beliefs, political views, and personalities. We need to show the love and understanding to bring one another out of the pain and suffering brought on us by society.

I am here for you Anne with a shoulder too cry on and love in my heart. I too suffered for over four decades with the same guilt and pain. Know one to turn to and physically trying to harm myself even if it meant death just to end the struggle to be me. So I am here with my arms and loving heart open to you. It is alright, you are a brave, strong, beautiful, loving woman. I am here for you and we will get through this together!

Big Giant Hugs for YOU!

melissaK
11-26-2011, 09:14 AM
It is amazing how hard it is to overcome the "big lie." But like Longing2be says, all social conditioning to against being transsexual. I declared my preferred gender in third grade, and the whole world acted to stop it and set me straight - teachers, parents, and peers. As a kid just try to find a cross-gendered role model. So, given that we learn by example, and we learn by positive reinforcement, its no wonder "the big lie" is sooooo freaking hard to get over; its like we are swimming against a tsunami. I think the fact we do overcome the big lie speaks to the profound nature of being transsexual.

hugs,
'lissa

elizabethamy
11-26-2011, 01:52 PM
The hardest lie to face is the one that you tell yourself. Anne, you are brave and good and I wish you well. I may or may not be on the same path as you, but I too have uncovered the news that I have lied to myself for a very long time, and I share your feelings of relief and wonder, and wish you all the happiness you haven't had before!

elizabethamy

LeaP
11-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I am transsexual. ... I have denied it and myself for much too long, and I can deny it no longer.Acknowledging this simple truth, however, has relieved a massive burden from my soul. ...

But the thing about this that gets me the most now is how did this happen? I simply cannot wrap my head around the fact that I have suppressed and denied this part of myself for so long. How is it even possible that I did this? Through therapy, research, and introspection, I “get” how this has happened. But this is something that happens to other people. Not me. And yet, I have let this issue mercilessly and methodically strip my mental well-being and sanity away both then and now.

I recognize that no easy answers, if any answers at all, are forth coming. I also recognize that I probably should not dwell on this. But I keep going back to it. I suppose, given everything, it’s kind of hard not to dwell on it, if that makes sense . . . .

To be honest, I find this a little frightening, because I have inklings of the same feelings. Less sure, but coming up like daisies lately from God knows where. I know just enough of what you are describing to also understand the black hole in the conception of it. How can something so utterly fundamental be so utterly suppressed? It doesn't FEEL possible, even if you KNOW how it happened.

I'm happy you have a sense of relief, Anne. And you have my best wishes, whatever your next steps are.

Lea

suzy1
11-26-2011, 02:09 PM
It seems like you only joined yesterday Anne. And yet you seem to have come so far in that time.
I like to think that in some small way the girls here have helped.
I think you could be facing hard times ahead on your journey Anne so let the experts on this forum continue to help and encourage you.

Keep smiling girl.

All the best from Suzy.

Traci Elizabeth
11-29-2011, 02:10 AM
What is that simple proverb, "The truth shall set you free." Dwell on how happy you are going to be during your transition and afterwards. That is what you ought to consume your thoughts with.

abigailf
11-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Wow! What a journey. You are no more or less f*cked up then anyone else in the world. Everyone has their problems however different they may be. You have come to terms with who you are so you are now probably one of the more sane people in the world.

. . .

I so get this. I think about this a lot too. How did I let this go for so long? I knew since I was a teen and instead of embracing it like I do now, I hid it away and lied to everyone around me including myself.

The best I could come up with is I created new passions and distractions - a career, a family for example. I was so focused on being successful in these terms that I blocked out my self discovery stage of my life. Now that my career has peaked and family is strong and stable, I found I had time for my self discovery. There were no more distractions or excuses for me, it was time to focus on me who I am. And Abigail is what I found...

Aprilrain
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
For me alcohol and drugs became the elephant in the living room and my weird thoughts about being a woman and wanting to dress as one was the skeleton in the closet! it was easy to see I had a drinking problem all other problems admitted or not were clearly a manifestation of the degeneracy I found myself in due to alcohol and drug addiction......or so I thought. When I was 28 I finally got sober and KNEW that would "cure" me of the insane notion of wanting to be a woman. I was wrong! Sobriety cured me alright. cured me of 15 years of really bad living and paved the way for the journey I now find myself on. I came to the conclusion that I was TS about 5 years ago, meaning I finally had a vocabulary for what id felt to some degree or another all my life. I found a million good reasons why I shouldn't transition, those held the flood back only briefly. DAMN I wish I would have done this then instead of now! 5 years wasted! oh well.
As I move forward, slowly the self doubt and fear gives way to conviction. I now know I'm on the right path the catch 22 of it is I needed to start the journey in order to know wether it was right for me or not. Of course in my heart I knew but my soul needed the experience to prove it to myself.

Dawn cd
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I want to support what Dana said, with the understanding that we are all driven by different forces. For those whom transition is an absolute imperative, taking steps to secure that end is not "selfish." It is destiny and non-negotiable. Still, there are many of us (probably most of us) who are not in that place, and for us there must be an equilibrium between our desires and the desires of those who share our life—whether spouses, family, friends, neighbors, and sometimes even business colleagues. This doesn't mean we must always bow to their views. Equilibrium means finding balance. To insist that our wishes and desires always trump theirs is the very definition of selfishness. Sacrifice—that is, putting the other before oneself—is part of every person's life and part of being an adult. So I think Dana is right when she says we must beware of selfishness. I don't think she meant that all transgendered people are selfish.

Rianna Humble
12-01-2011, 04:57 PM
I think Dana is right when she says we must beware of selfishness. I don't think she meant that all transgendered people are selfish.

You might be correct if we were discussing transgender people in general and not transsexual people