PDA

View Full Version : HRT: So close and yet so far away

Laura Evans
11-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Recently had a visit to a VA Endocrinologist for the purpose of evaluating me for starting HRT. Due to Hx of cancer in both my mother and sister at an early age and both having passed on it was recommended I have a genetic test to see if I had the BRCA 1 or 2 gene which would dramatically increase my risk for cancer. This is a test the VA does not provide and getting the test done is very expensive, this and other road blocks has made achieving my dream more of a nightmare and obtaining HRT more out of reach. I have an appointment with another Endo. with transsexual experience but I don't see them till the end of Feb 2012. This has been hard for me to take but I am holding it together often feel like having a good cry. I am still holding out hope but understand the high risk I have for cancer but feel that at my age (63) that I would probably die of something else before any cancer would show and am looking forward to talk with the doc with more trans experience.

abigailf
11-30-2011, 10:32 PM
The way I understand it is if a person lives long enough, they will eventually get cancer.

Hang in there, if there is one thing I am learning from my experiences it's that patients is key...

Hugs

Aprilrain
11-30-2011, 11:12 PM
a bullet was going to kill me long before cancer had the chance!

DebbieL
11-30-2011, 11:35 PM
a bullet was going to kill me long before cancer had the chance!

Part of the problem may have been going to a VA doctor, who may not have much experience working with transsexuals.

That you are transsexual and have lived 60 years with it, is a miracle!

Transsexuals have an astronomically high suicide rate, both attempts and successful.

If they survive, they can die of blood clots or that cause strokes or heart attacks. - caused by taking boot-leg or "herbal" hormones.

A doctor who really understands what she's dealing with, knows that there are risks to the hormones, but the risks related to untreated gender disphoria are much higher.

Simply put, the risk of giving you hormones may be a 1 in 1,000 chance of getting fatal cancer. The risk of NOT giving you hormones is 2 in 3 that you will die of complications due to self-medicating, suicide, or fatal assaults.

Koka
12-01-2011, 05:55 AM
I keep reading throughout various posts here the word cancer. Why would HRT give you cancer? Anythig can. Anything can you cancer, including the air we breath nowadays. But I would really like to know what does Cancer have to do with HRT? Is it because of the medication being synthetic? I have read posts here from girls being on estrogen for many years without any implications.

Stephenie S
12-01-2011, 09:44 AM
As I understand it, if you live long enough eventually you will die.

S

Katesback
12-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Ya know I am sorry but you sound like one of those people that make excuses. If you really want something you do it and it is as simple as that. As far as getting hormones go I am VERY certain that if you went to any doctor presenting the woman in your avitar and having done your homework and knowing the dosages and tests and simply directing him to follow this you would walk out with perscriptions. As a matter of fact I am almost sure. Now go to the doctor as a boy and it is no wonder he wont perscribe hormones. I dont take people seriously when they are a boy in front of me and tell me they are a girl.

Katie

Starling
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
...I dont take people seriously when they are a boy in front of me and tell me they are a girl.

Agreed, Kate. I have gone to every appointment with my gender therapist and at the trans clinic as myself. Why would I want to miss any extended opportunity to interact with people as who I really am, especially people I can learn a lot from, and whose opinion significantly affects me? Besides, it feels really, really good.

:) Lallie

Julia_in_Pa
12-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Laura,

I applaud your efforts but I have to agree with the others that stated that your case would be notably stronger if you were presenting to the doctor as the woman you are.

You look good Laura so make another appointment and plan on being dressed as the true you.

Julia

Julia_in_Pa
12-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Koka,

Of course one of those women would be myself.

Laura, I've been on full HRT for eleven years without issue.

The cancer remark by the doctor is fully without merit.

Statistically you could contract cancer from eating too many bags of microwave popcorn.
Remember when that was in the news?

Julia

I keep reading throughout various posts here the word cancer. Why would HRT give you cancer? Anythig can. Anything can you cancer, including the air we breath nowadays. But I would really like to know what does Cancer have to do with HRT? Is it because of the medication being synthetic? I have read posts here from girls being on estrogen for many years without any implications.

Laura Evans
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Thank you all for your comments. This is an especially aggressive type of cancer that invaded my mother and sister resulting in both dying young so I understand the physicians concerns. I have an 80% chance of developing cancer [B]if [B]I carry the gene. That is why I am pursuing a second opinion from an endo who sees many transsexuals and because I agree with Debbie that most VA docs have little experience with us, although that is not true everywhere as I know one sister on this forum going to a VA facility that have multiple trans on their books. Koka, estrogen by itself does not cause cancer but can if you are at risk such as family members, etc. The problem is that all the studies done on this have been with GG's and not trans. My understanding on this for us is that the risk rises the longer you are on hormones and that is my reason for seeking the 2d opinion from someone who may know, especially considering my age, I will most likely die of something else before cancer even show up. Kate, I don't know how you perceived I was making an "excuse" I only wrote about the roadblocks that I have to overcome on my journey and I know that if I told the VA doc to give me the hormones anyway that they would but I need more informed answers from someone more experienced with transsexuals, when I have that then I will proceed.

Laura Evans
12-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I went and also go everywhere as Laura I do not present anywhere as male anymore so that was not the issue. Julie the physicians concerns are well placed it is a particular and aggressive type that if the genes are present your risk is significantly high. The gene is the BRCA which protects one from cancer but the mutations (type 1 & 2) are what changes the game. The issue I have is that as a transsexual and at my late age is it still as potent if I do carry the gene? That is why I am seeking an opinion from someone more experienced with trans.

Eileen
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Laura stay positive and you are so right to look for answers from those with the most knowledge on issues that are on concert to the transgender community.

Eileen

Starling
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Sorry for all the bold lettering in my last answer I only meant for one word to be in bold...

Don't worry about it, Laura. Unlike life itself, though, you can go back and edit a post, in case you've made a mistake.

:) Lallie

PS: I'm very sorry about your mom and sis.

Anna Lorree
12-01-2011, 09:05 PM
As I understand it, if you live long enough eventually you will die.

S

Yep, I've watched people do it on several occasions.

Anna

Tammy V
12-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Take a deep breath because Feb. is not that far away and you have waited this long. I am sure everything will work out , its just a little more time. Hugs.

Mary Lee
12-02-2011, 11:38 AM
"this and other road blocks".

What are the other road blocks?

Laura Evans
12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Thank you all for your positive comments, I really appreciate them. LALady, thank you so much, It was many years ago but it still hurts to think about it. Tammy your correct Feb is not that far away, I am hanging in there. Mary Lee, too many to elaborate on here some are related to the post and others to the journey itself, many that trans are familiar with. Thank you all again. Hugs to all.