PDA

View Full Version : Lung cancer and estrogen

Dawn cd
12-03-2011, 01:02 PM
There is a new report out concerning lung cancer among people who never smoked. Apparently this is a growing problem. About 32,000 non-smokers each year die from lung cancer, approximately the same number who die from prostate cancer. The odd thing is, women's deaths outnumber men's by 2-1, and no one knows why this is. Some medical researchers have theorized that estrogen makes women more vulnerable to lung cancer. Certainly it is known that estrogen increases the likelihood of breast cancer. So it appears that transitioning involves trading one risk (testicular or prostate cancer) for another. Be careful out there.

Niya W
12-03-2011, 01:08 PM
3 years ago I read report that said the number on killer of women over 45 was breast cancer followed by heart disease (when women turn 50 it's the number 1 ) and number 3 was lung cancer. The report said that in 10 years time they expected lung cancer to be number 2 no matter what the age group was.

Aprilrain
12-03-2011, 01:09 PM
thanks dawn, it was the bullet I was worried about.

Rianna Humble
12-03-2011, 02:30 PM
There is a new report out concerning lung cancer among people who never smoked

You mean like the passive smokers in offices, clubs, restaurants (prior to the ban in some countries) and in the home even today?

Niya W
12-03-2011, 02:37 PM
No. the report I read took that in account . They looked at cultures like the Amish and found the same as non isolated cultures.The report also stated that the rise was greater in black women. As whole blacks are decreasing their smoking faster than any other race.

Julia_in_Pa
12-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm a non smoker.

I quit in 1994.

I'm also very much opposed to smoking in public places including smoking around others.

Cancer runs in my biological family, if I die from it Oh well there isn't much I can do about it.

Just minimize your risks and live your life.

Julia

Niya W
12-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Every one just assumes that it's smoking that is the primary cause of cancer . You would be surprised to know how many carcinogens are in the home.

AllieSF
12-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Ever run your finger on the inside of your windshield and can clearly see a new clean spot? Well, that is what you breathe in every time you are in your car. What about at home with all those fire retardant, non-man made materials, natural dust in the air? Lung cancer can be caused by many things besides first and second hand cigarette smoke. Smoking cigarettes is one of the prime reasons.