PDA

View Full Version : First Anniversary & MAC Makeover Post!!! 2 For 1!!!

Debglam
12-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Well, here I am after one year of acknowledging (embracing) the fact that I am transgendered. A lot of progress, pain, joy, and sorrow. In the aggregate, I am so glad that I am finally able to be ME! I have to thank my wonderful wife first and foremost. I’m no Dear Abby, but I see a lot of posts that seem to minimize the shock we give our SO’s when we hit them with this. I think a little patience and consideration on all sides is the way to make a go of being transgendered and in a relationship. Love does conquer all, with a lot of work.

I also need to thank the GG’s and my sisters on this forum and in the River City Gems! I remember how terrified I was to even log onto this forum and I think how nice and welcoming the women here were! I met some local women online and with a lot of patience, they eventually gave me the confidence to actually leave the house! I was scared to death but they were, and are some of the sweetest people I know. I really love them! Through the Gems and their events, I’ve been able to meet some other women on this forum and that is always a blast for me! You admire someone’s posts, maybe send them a PM or a VM, and get one back. All very nice, but then you see them in “real life” and find out that they are real flesh and blood and as nice in person as they are online. (Prettier in person too!) Just wonderful to meet such nice people.

It isn’t easy trying to live life in a state of gender fluidity (or in two genders if you are absolutely married to the gender binary!) but I wouldn’t trade it at this point in my life! The middle path for me. . .

The Makeover:

Like a lot of you, I LOVE makeup!!!! Let me say that again, I absolutely love playing with makeup, trying new looks, and just having fun! I swear, I can’t think of anything in guy mode that is even close! I have been in MAC stores en homme many times to buy makeup. I even got foundation matched in guy mode once. One of the items on my bucket list was to get a full blown makeover at MAC, costs be damned! After being out a few times with my friend Melissa Rose, I decided that this was my anniversary present to myself. I called the local store the day before and was hoping to get a very early appointment. Well, 1100 was the best I could do, so I dressed (no makeup!!!), said goodbye to my wife, and hit the road. I got to the mall early and killed some time sitting outside. I was almost as nervous as when I first went out. Without makeup I felt like “a guy in a dress” and felt like everyone within a mile knew it and was staring at me. It was almost time, so I sucked it up and strolled into the mall with a big smile on my face. Hit the restroom – nerves, and then walked into MAC. An absolutely lovely woman, about my age, asked if she could help me and I said that “I’m Debby and I have an appointment for a makeover.” She said I’ll be your makeup artist, got her tool belt, and lead me back to one of the makeover rooms. We chatted for a little bit about what look I was going for (everyday), what products I was using, and we were off to the races!

It was as wonderful as I expected it to be. She suggested colors, applied them, and we discussed the techniques and tools she was using. We went to a slightly darker shade of foundation and she applied it with a flat brush. I usually stipple so it felt a little weird having my face “painted” but it worked. We discussed colors and techniques I had been using and what worked and what didn’t. She suggested darker liner (black) and mascara (BLACK) and I really loved the look. We talked about highlighting and contouring and tried some. I also learned that a crème blush suited me a lot better than what I had been using. We finished up with a couple of different shades of lipgloss. I felt absolutely beautiful! This is the problem. . .

I’ve been asked by the lovely Anne2345, “Where the hell are the photos?!?!?” Here is the problem: I was having such a nice time, we were chatting about makeup, family, etc., that I was totally caught up in the moment. The MA made me feel just like any other GG getting a makeover that the idea of asking her to take a photo just didn’t happen. I have to say that being pampered like that really gives me an understanding of why salons are so popular. Chatting while someone does your makeup or hair (unfortunately mine’s in a box!) is just a wonderfully pleasant, indulgent treat! So the bottom line is that there are none! Melissa Rose met me at the mall for a little shopping afterwards so I have a witness, but I’m still kicking myself. Anyway, we “had” to stroll through Macy’s and of course, Macy’s had this coat that was marked $200 that they were giving away! Add some coupons, and it was $60!

http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/4/optimized/1043954_fpx.tif?bgc=255,255,255&qlt=90,0&layer=comp&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.7,1.0,0.5,0&fmt=jpeg

Yet another nice day as a part time woman! :battingeyelashes:

Debby

AllieSF
12-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Happy Anniversary Debbie. I really enjoyed reading this post and can only imagine how you felt during the makeover process, just chatting away and trying your best to remember half (it would have been a quarter for me) of what she said. Love the jacket and hope to see you wearing it this winter during a night out with the girls. Thanks for sharing and I really do miss the "proof" pics.

rachaelsloane
12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Happy Anniversary Debby,
It sounds like you had a fabulous day (even without pictures). You can showoff your new makeup skills this Saturday at the party. Love the coat, did you also buy a pair of the knee high boots?
Rachael

Cynthia Anne
12-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I can only imagine how beautiful you were after the MAC visit! But like Anne2345 I want to know where the hell are the photos!!:heehee: Happy aniversary!:) Hugs!:hugs:

Marleena
12-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Happy Anniversary Debby! What a great gift to give to yourself. It sounds like it was awesome!:)

Anne2345
12-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Happy anniversary, Debby!!! :balloons:

And what a fantastic anniversary gift to treat yourself to! Except for not taking pictures, that is! D'OH!!! :facepalm: But I have no doubt, being all caught up in the moment like that, I would have done exactly the same, too! LOLOLOL!!!! The upside is that this means you have to get another MAC makeover!!! Oh the humanity!!!! Not another MAC makeover!!!! Anything but that . . . . :D You lucky girl . . . . :battingeyelashes:

Having read your anniversary post, and knowing you as a friend, I simply cannot believe how much you have accomplished in the span of a single year. Wow, girlfriend. Simply wow! And good for you! Your story makes me smile, and your friendship brings me joy! Here's to many future anniversaries to come . . . . :cheers:

Melissa Rose
12-09-2011, 12:28 AM
I will verify that Debby had a makeover at MAC, left with a bag full of MAC goodies and looked absolutely marvelous. I'm almost a 100% MAC girl so I totally understand how she walked out with way more than $50 of makeup. We had lunch at the mall then I wanted to look at necklaces. We ended up at Macy's where I found a necklace then we wandered over to the juniors and misses department. Debby spotted a wool coat with a faux fur collar, but I found the full faux fur. After modeling it for her then talking it up, her will power wilted (I can be a persuasive and bad influence). Several weeks earlier, she tired on my calf length gray faux fur so her resolve was already compromised. Actually, the original price was $250 and the coat was on sale for an unbelievable $90. This was a special one-day sale not something stuck in the clearance racks. After using a coupon and another discount, the cost dropped to $61. No sane person could pass up the deal. If I did not already have a long fur coat, I would have bought one too. On my way home, I stopped at another Macy's and bought the same coat as a Christmas present (not for me).

Today Debby and I had a full pedicure at my favorite salon in Sacramento (Mellow Me Out Day Spa). It was her first pedicure. I remembered to take a few pictures which I have already sent to her. Maybe she'll post about her pedi. We also had lunch at a wonderful crepe place (chicken curry for me and a pesto veggie for her) then called it a day since she had to go to work in the late afternoon. It was another fun day out.

Debglam
12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
I will verify that Debby had a makeover at MAC, left with a bag full of MAC goodies and looked absolutely marvelous. I'm almost a 100% MAC girl so I totally understand how she walked out with way more than $50 of makeup. We had lunch at the mall then I wanted to look at necklaces. We ended up at Macy's where I found a necklace then we wandered over to the juniors and misses department. Debby spotted a wool coat with a faux fur collar, but I found the full faux fur. After modeling it for her then talking it up, her will power wilted (I can be a persuasive and bad influence). Several weeks earlier, she tired on my calf length gray faux fur so her resolve was already compromised. Actually, the original price was $250 and the coat was on sale for an unbelievable $90. This was a special one-day sale not something stuck in the clearance racks. After using a coupon and another discount, the cost dropped to $61. No sane person could pass up the deal. If I did not already have a long fur coat, I would have bought one too. On my way home, I stopped at another Macy's and bought the same coat as a Christmas present (not for me).

Today Debby and I had a full pedicure at my favorite salon in Sacramento (Mellow Me Out Day Spa). It was her first pedicure. I remembered to take a few pictures which I have already sent to her. Maybe she'll post about her pedi. We also had lunch at a wonderful crepe place (chicken curry for me and a pesto veggie for her) then called it a day since she had to go to work in the late afternoon. It was another fun day out.

THIS is what girlfriends are for!!! :D Having your back, not talking you into extravagant purchases! Well. . .maybe that too! :battingeyelashes:

Here is a picture of my toes. OPI "I'm Not A Waitress." :straightface: Melissa and I had a nice conversation about what fun it would be to have the job of the person who names makeup! :daydreaming:

Melissa is an absolute doll! I am soooo lucky to have met her!

kimdl93
12-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Congratulations on a remarkable year of growth and discovery

Sara Jessica
12-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Happy anniversary Debby, may there be years of enjoyment ahead of you as you continue to embrace and explore what is clearly your essence.

...We ended up at Macy's where I found a necklace then we wandered over to the juniors and misses department. Debby spotted a wool coat with a faux fur collar, but I found the full faux fur. After modeling it for her then talking it up, her will power wilted (I can be a persuasive and bad influence). Several weeks earlier, she tired on my calf length gray faux fur so her resolve was already compromised. Actually, the original price was $250 and the coat was on sale for an unbelievable $90. This was a special one-day sale not something stuck in the clearance racks. After using a coupon and another discount, the cost dropped to $61. No sane person could pass up the deal.

Every so often there is a quote in these pages which sticks with me. Debby's comment elsewhere about Macy's coupons being like "crack" cracked me up at the time (yes, pun intended) and it crossed my mind often as I did some serious damage to my Macy's card during their recent Friends & Family 25% discount. That story is the stuff of another post though.

So Debby, please know that your words are pretty much etched into my mind forever!!! :)