PDA

View Full Version : problem with nails

tiffa
10-23-2005, 04:56 PM
hell girls i have a problem with one or two of my nails spliting down from tip to bed:mad: i have tried putting good strengthener on them but it still happens,they seem to split strait down a ridg,any help welcom....tiffa

DanaJ
10-23-2005, 06:59 PM
That usually means there is a flaw in the nail bed. Has this just started or has it been doing this for a while? Have you had any trauma to those nails lately? Probably the only fix now would be some sort of artificial nail overlay to protect the nail.

tiffa
10-24-2005, 05:33 PM
sorry and thanksDanaj:o didnt me not to reply :OMG: : but i am finding a little difficult to find my previous posts :rose2:

Tamara Croft
10-24-2005, 07:05 PM
The splitting of the nails can be caused by many things. Not just trauma to the nail bed, but also trauma to the matrix. The matrix is the root of the nail. If you have recently trapped your fingers, banged them etc, this can cause the nails to grow funny or split. If this is the case and they do keep growing like this, it's most likely nothing can be done. As Dana suggested, having an overlay could be the only solution to this problem. There are many types you can have, you just need to find a good nail technician to advise you.

It would help if you could give us some more details like, when this started happening, if you have banged, trapped your fingers lately, or even had an illness. All this can lead to nail damage. What would be even better, would be if you could actually take a picture of the nails.

sara_also
10-24-2005, 07:25 PM
hell girls i have a problem with one or two of my nails spliting down from tip to bed:mad: i have tried putting good strengthener on them but it still happens,they seem to split strait down a ridg,any help welcom....tiffa
Hi there this is Sara Also's other half.......trauma is most likely the problem...several ways including and not limited toooooo taking artificial nails ,that are glued on, with a pocket knife....I have done this so it is not that illogical. But it can also be a sign of illness. there is a product out there call dip and go (here in nevada it can be found at Sallys Beauty Supply) great stuff.....polish on gell dip into powder brush off and then file with square emery block. put a coat of clear polish and you are set to go......good luck

Billijo49504
10-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Thanks Sara, I'll have to try that stuff. We have Sally's here in MI. I have real thin nails, and I work in a factory. So my hands get a beating, especially the nails. Will have to see if they carry that stuff at our Sally's and give it a try.

JoAnnDallas
10-25-2005, 08:50 AM
I have this problem too. I get a ridge and the spilt starts there. I used to use nail harder polish, I even had my nail tech use some stuff she had, but my nails contiuned to split and break. I Finally solved my problem. I now have really nice acrylic nails. AND guess what no one notices or says anything.

MichelleH
10-25-2005, 01:33 PM
I also have weak nails and have tried a number of products to strengthen and/or reinforce them. My right hand nails really take a beating because I use them to fingerpick a steel string guitar. It seems that acrylic nails are the toughest, but if you are like me and would rather do your own nails at home, I have a couple of suggestions. If you just want a strengthening polish, I've had the best luck with Sally Hansen's Diamond Strength. I use it on the ring finger of my picking hand sometimes and it holds up pretty well. It comes off easily with nail polish remover, but its not as strong as an overlay. My favorite product is Nailene Quick Gels, which is a kit with nail tip extensions and acrylic gel. The kit comes with gel overlay and three kinds of tips: clear (for a natural look), opaque (to use with colored polish) and white (French). You can either just apply the gel over your natural nails (I use about 4 coats to make mine tough enough for guitar), or you can glue on a tip and overlay both the tip and natual nail with the gel. It's pretty easy to do and gives a nice glossy finish. If I want a matte finish, I apply OPI Nail Envy over the top. Good luck.

Michelle

HaleyPink2000
10-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Oh! You talk about bad on nails. I play several Musical Instruments. The Bango just tears my nails in half from the mid top to the mid bottom. Length wise. I used to just go back to metal picks for the healing time, but now I use fake nails. They work real well for a stand in for real nails. It's best to go have them done from what people tell me. But I use the home glue on kind.

Haley:)

Billijo49504
10-26-2005, 12:43 AM
WOW, that stuff that Sara talked about is different. It feels like I smeared cement on my nails. First you put on the gel. Then dip the nail in the powder, and then pour on the super glue. Then my nails were as smooth as a gravel road. After I filed them smooth and put on the clear polish, it sure looks like they will be much stronger. It did have me wondering for a while. The foney nails that were in the kit were too small for my fingers. But my nails are about 3 times thicker than they were.

sara_also
10-26-2005, 08:46 PM
I never use the super glue but glad it worked for you.......remember to watch the back of the nail for new growth....this is where you can get a nail problem if you wear it all the time.......keep the ridge filed down as your nail grows.....use the super glue to keep water out and then just fill the back with the gel and powder..........pegi

tiffa
10-28-2005, 02:07 PM
thanks girls so many of you have taken the time to reply to me and give me some good advise iwill dffinatly try some of your sugestions :) and keep you informed with the progress:cheers: so lets give it a few weeks to see if i can make somthing of what i have :luvu: