PDA

View Full Version : Cryin' time

Diane Elizabeth
12-09-2011, 11:48 PM
I looked into getting FFS today and got scared off. I just don't have the money and I cant' save any for FFS. It all goes to bills. So today I am cryin' over the fact that I see my dream of fulfillment is gone. This isn't completely true. I do have one source of gettting the money. I have an IRA account with some in it. The problem is that the penalty is 10% fee. So I would be looking at paying almost $2000 fine for withdrawing it.
Then there is the surgery I just went through on my neck. Three weeks into healing and still hurting. When they took the stitches out today they said it could take as much as 6 months to heal completely. My neck is killing me and percaset doesn't do anything for it. I am out of work for another 3 weeks to heal.

I had a chance to come out to my mother yesterday and didn't. I thought I could take this time to get my name changed, but I need 2 witnesses to attest that I am who I am. Can't find anyone yet. So I will call the court and ask for a reschedule.

Okay I am done cryin' and complaining for now.

Katesback
12-10-2011, 12:04 AM
It only gets harder and more challenging as time goes by.

AllieSF
12-10-2011, 12:12 AM
It is always good to let off the excess steam and excess sorrow from time to time. Keeping it bottled up inside gives me acid indigestion. You have started and hit an obstacle, money. Just take your time, set that goal to save and do what you can to put a few dollars away whenever you can. Regarding the IRA account, not only will they take out the 10% penalty, unless you meet one of their special circumstances (check that out), they will also probably take out another 20%+ for income tax purposes. That amount may be reduced when you file your next income taxes, meaning they take a flat 20% out now, which may be reduced later based on your income and deductions when you file. Go to your local IRS office and ask. They will explain it all to you.

Now for the good news. You know who you are, you are alive and breathing (that always makes me happy every morning when I wake up), your dream isn't gone, it is just delayed, and tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life. Try to enjoy it. Happy Holidays.

:love: :) :D

Sheila11
12-10-2011, 12:14 AM
It only gets harder and more challenging as time goes by.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Bree-asaurus
12-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.

Well... it's kinda true. At least she has an IRA she CAN draw from. Some of us have nothing.

donnalee
12-10-2011, 08:42 AM
You may want to ask your doctor for a different painkiller. A number of years ago I had to take Percodan for a horrible sunburn (2nd & 3rd degree). I was given a generic, which didn't relieve the pain and made me very nauseous. Although it had equivalent amounts of the active med, there was enough difference in the inactive parts as to cause this problem. Perhaps you need something different or maybe stronger.

Julia_in_Pa
12-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Donna,

When I transitioned to full time five years ago I did so on the job.

Because of this the normal thing happened to me as it does wit the majority of trans people, I was "let go".

I had no choice but to liquidate my 403 B retirement fund to live on while searching for employment.

Is FFS essential to your transition? From what you write here it sounds like it is.

I realize the amount of pain you have been in but if transition is what you need to do then using your retirement savings to do so is a no brainer.

You must be willing to start again from absolutely nothing in order to live an authentic life.

Of course we hope and pray that it doesn't cost us everything and everyone but very often it does.

I lost everything and everyone Donna.

What Kate said to you about it becoming more difficult as your transition progresses is very true.

Don't make it any more difficult for yourself by not having FFS if you need that to transition.

Julia

Diane Elizabeth
12-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement. I still don't feel any better after a nites sleep. I can only save about $20 a week. $20 x 52 (weeks) = $140/ year.$140 divided into $18,000 = 57 years to get enough money (not allowing for inflatation) for FFS. I would be 116 years old. I might be able to do that considering people are living longer. Now, how much for GRS? Please excues my humor. I get that way sometimes.

Sara Jessica
12-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement. I still don't feel any better after a nites sleep. I can only save about $20 a week. $20 x 52 (weeks) = $140/ year.$140 divided into $18,000 = 57 years to get enough money (not allowing for inflatation) for FFS. I would be 116 years old. I might be able to do that considering people are living longer. Now, how much for GRS? Please excues my humor. I get that way sometimes.

Check your math Donna, $20 per week is $1,040 per year. A that rate, you are only looking at less than 18 years, all other things being equal of course.

Just tryin' to make some lemonade out of the lemons that you are talking about.

ReneeT
12-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Finances are a barrier to a lot of things in life. However, many who have very little today have much in the future. It is criticaly important to success in all facets of life to plan and invest for this future. You might think of career planning as a part of transition planning. In fact, it is essential. If you think it is tough to find a good job pre-transition, think how hard it will be post(OMG- i am agreeing with Kate - do i have a fever???). Donna, i obviously don't know your employment situation, but, if you are not currently able to save towards ffs, you might consider using your available resources to train for a better job, one that you could maintain post transition. Nursing comes to mind, among others.

While i am pre-op, I recognize the need for thorough planning and execution. I can afford to go out tomorrow and have ffs and srs but that is not the best plan for long term success, considering my wife, children, and current job. I have learned a lot from others here, and i am going to do thisas succesfully as possible

Kaitlyn Michele
12-10-2011, 12:46 PM
according to your figures you are almost 60 years old.

this is important....

at 60 your lifestyle, health and financial issues are different than if you are younger...

in all honesty , you need to manage your expectations relative to your financial situation and future earnings... many of us spent life savings, maxed out credit cards or just went without... your choice is to figure a way to raise the money, or figure a way to do without... this choice would make any one of us wanna cry, and many of us have had to make it..