PDA

View Full Version : Pinky with red nail polish.

angpai30
12-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I painted my nails red last night and was so tired I left my nail polish on thinking I would take it off before work. I woke up this morning and got out the remover I bought and tried getting the polish off. To my amazement it was difficult getting the polish off. Took me 45 minutes to do my thumb and first three fingers. I had to leave my pinky because I was already late. I bought the shopko brand, which I will never do again. I think a few people noticed the nail, but didn't say anything. I had the perfect explanation too.

sissystephanie
12-10-2011, 11:22 PM
You must have had some really bad polish remover!! I have never had a problem removing polish like you mentioned! What was your explanation for having a red pinky?

angpai30
12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
well, I won't post it because it made sense this morning and now it sounds out right rediculous.

AllieSF
12-11-2011, 12:15 AM
I used to use the old standard brand Cutex, which always worked fine. Then I bought a straight acetone polish remover that does it in a flash using little cotton balls. Good luck and what was you winning reply if someone asked you about the painted pinky nail?

DanaR
12-11-2011, 03:06 AM
It seems like I'm always leaving remnants of polish on my nails.

ashlylynn
12-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Next nail polish you buy should match your natural nail color
so you can overcoat. That's what we do in a pinch.

btw - what WAS your perfect explanation? lol

Cynthia Anne
12-11-2011, 06:31 AM
Come on Kristen Spill the beans! Inquiring minds want to know! Hugs! Don't leave us hangin'! Hugs!

Renee W
12-11-2011, 07:34 AM
If all you had left was one finger, I think I would have thrown a band-aid over it, no explainations needed then.

Sara Jessica
12-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Lesson learned, I'm sure. A tale that has been told before and will certainly be shared again in the future. Alas, it doesn't seem like we're giving things such as this the necessary attention to detail.

First of all, CLEAR BASE COAT!!!

Doing so will make it easier to get the colored polish off completely as it creates a barrier between the color and your fingernail which can be somewhat porous.

Next consideration, if you are slapping some color onto your guy-nails, chances are most excellent that your cuticles haven't been touched in who knows how long. Poorly maintained cuticles are also a magnet to hold onto color.

But regardless of these things, a good polish remover should be able to overcome. Try pure acetone next time. When you want a quick & effective removal, there is no substitute.

IamSara
12-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Lesson learned, I'm sure. A tale that has been told before and will certainly be shared again in the future. Alas, it doesn't seem like we're giving things such as this the necessary attention to detail.

First of all, CLEAR BASE COAT!!!

Doing so will make it easier to get the colored polish off completely as it creates a barrier between the color and your fingernail which can be somewhat porous.

Next consideration, if you are slapping some color onto your guy-nails, chances are most excellent that your cuticles haven't been touched in who knows how long. Poorly maintained cuticles are also a magnet to hold onto color.

But regardless of these things, a good polish remover should be able to overcome. Try pure acetone next time. When you want a quick & effective removal, there is no substitute.

That is exactly what I do. Just be careful with the pure acetone if it gets in your blood stream it isn't a good thing. Just speaking from experience here.

Sara Jessica
12-11-2011, 02:40 PM
That is exactly what I do. Just be careful with the pure acetone if it gets in your blood stream it isn't a good thing. Just speaking from experience here.

I don't think you're supposed to inject it ;).

Seriously, it's sold right next to regular polish remover in the same bottle. I'd think it's safe enough as long as you don't drink it.

Beth Mays
12-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Pure Acetone is safe. You should use something to replace the oil and moisture in your hands after.

Eryn
12-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Sarah speaks truth, but I use a whitish ridge-filling base coat. Works the same to protect the nail from staining and also smooths out the little ridges to produce wonderfully smooth nails.

I also use pure acetone (keep it around for other purposes too) and bought a neat little dip-it container from Target that has a built-in brush. Takes about 10 seconds per finger.

The MSDS for acetone is pretty benign. Don't drink it, breathe the fumes, or light it on fire.

I polished my nails beautifully for a party last night. Two coats base, two coats Orly "Red Carpet" with a subtle sparkle, and two coats topcoat for gloss. They were perfect, not a ding or wrinkle on them. Any GG would have been proud to go out with them and she would have been happily receiving compliments. I had to go out in drab this morning so after about two minutes with the remover I was back to drab. I almost cried... :(