PDA

View Full Version : Shopping as a man, woman or with significant other

ericatgirlnj
10-24-2005, 08:45 AM
I wanted to know how people shop for dresses, skirts, sexy lingerie, stockings, panties and bras, makeup, pants, tops, etc. Do you go to the store dressed as a man, as a woman or with your spouse. Do you use the dressing room? Do you just buy certain items and not try them on. If you buy makeup or bras and panties do you buy it with other things?

When I shop I am most of the time dressed as a male. I go to department stores in america like target, kmart and walmart and use the mens dressing room to try on dresses, skirts, etc. I also go to second hand stores and use the dressing room. I even go to this women's only second hand store and the owner knows me well enough she allows me to use the dressing room and helps out where she can. She even tells me whether the dress looks good on me or even helps me zip the dress up.

I also go to a lingerie/sex toy store where I have become friends with the girl who works there and she helps me pick out outfits. I was always able to try the lingerie on over underwear. However yesterday I went to pick up some new stockings, a new bustier outfit and some lube and this other person who was there would not allow me to try on clothes. She said the owner does not allow men in the dressing room when I have been there with the owner there, when I picked up a french maids outfit.

I also buy shoes and try them on in the store. I have gone out dressed shopping maybe twice. It was thrilling.

Just wanted to hear other people's stories

TGMarla
10-24-2005, 09:11 AM
I've shopped for just about everything, but never en femme. I just force myself to ignore the perceived eyes upon me (most or all of the other people around are likely ignoring me anyway), and just do it. When it all boils down to nothing, what do I really care what other people that I don't even know think about me? I'm not running for office or anything. The heck with them. When I shop, it's for me (or my wife), and I get to the point where I just don't care. I need clothes, they've got clothes, my money's good.

JoAnnDallas
10-24-2005, 09:19 AM
It's no difference that shopping for your wife. I buy girlly things for my wife all the time and the sales persons usually don't pay any attention.

Sharon
10-24-2005, 10:03 AM
I have also done a lot of clothes shopping, but as with the others who have replied, I have only done so while in drab. Joann makes a good point about realizing that many men buy gifts for their SO's all the time, and not just at holiday seasons, but throughout the year for birthdays, anniversaries, and so forth. If you act like you belong there (which you do!), then shopping can be quite pleasurable,
Buying cosmetics was much more difficult for me to become comfortable with, but, eventually, I just told myself "the heck with it" and did it.

Georgette
10-24-2005, 10:18 AM
Most of the time nobody notices what you are buying I know I don't bother to see what is in other peoples shopping carts.

Lisa Marie
10-24-2005, 11:28 AM
When I go out shopping and want to buy something for Angie In male mode. I always get asked can I help you sir? I say no thanks just looking. Some of the check out ppl dont care what I buy I never get really heckled by anyone.I just tell them im looking for something for my girlfriend, mom or sister. That way they have no clue its really for me. Once in awhile when I want to try something on I sneak the clothes over male clothes and go into the changing rooms no one cares yet so far. Angie

imagination96
10-24-2005, 11:46 AM
I do a lot of shopping via eBay . . . if no other reason than you can find good deals that way. However, I have gone in drab to local stores to shop. Most of the time I've gone during the holiday season under the guise that I'm doing some x-mas shopping for a SO. I also have never tried anything on at the store . . . that is until the other night.

I really wanted a new pair of jeans and have never purchased a pair of womens jeans before so I had no idea what my size it. Added to the difficulty is my height so I had to be sure I got the correct length. I gathered 3-4 pairs of jeans and casually made my way to the men's dressing room which happened to be on the other side of the store. I proceeded to try them on and figured out I'm not a 9 but could get into a 10 or 11 depending on the cut. However, length proved to be a problem. I took the jeans I had just tried on back to the rack and picked out a few more pairs. I tried a 13 (too big in the waist by a long shot) and a couple that appeared to have a longer length. Nothing fit so I left empty handed :(

However, I now realize why GG's take so long to shop/try stuff on and sometimes don't even end up buying anything :p

ericatgirlnj
10-24-2005, 11:46 AM
When asked I tell them it's for me and many places allow me to use the dressing room because most stores have a male and female dressing room. Victoria's secret lets me try on clothes only when it is not busy. They have no problem with me trying on nightgowns, bustiers, etc. An all female clothing store that I go to will not but the owner knows me and helps me find outfits. I can purchase something I like and return it if it does not fit.

Phoebe Reece
10-24-2005, 11:56 AM
I go shopping in either mode. However, if I am looking for something that I need to try on, I will go enfemme only. I have never tried on femme clothes in a store while drab. My wife and I will sometimes shop together (only if I am drab), but she gets a little annoyed at me because I spend way more time looking at things than she does. She actually doesn't like to shop just to shop the way I do. She's much more like regular guys in that regard (find it, buy it, leave), whereas I am much more like the typical woman (find it, find something else, maybe buy something, maybe not, find something else, leave only when your feet begin to hurt too much).

kristine239
10-24-2005, 12:32 PM
When I go shopping at any store, large or small, I am usually in male drab. always try on what I buy. If anyone hassels me, I simply walk out reminding them that they just lost a nice sale. That alwys works.

KathrynTX
10-24-2005, 12:51 PM
I go shopping as a guy all the time! In more than 12 years of shopping in stores, I can count on one hand the number of times I've caught flak, and in those cases, I simply don't patronize the store anymore and tell everyone (where feasible) not to go there. I've been to a Torrid store in my local mall where they let me try on a dress (in fact, I'm wearing it right now). Here in DFW there's a store chain called Electrique Boutique where they always let me try on shoes!

Deborah
10-24-2005, 01:51 PM
I used to be scared to even look at the womens section when i went to a store. Now with all the advice etc from here i walk right in buy it or i'll try it on (concealing it between drab clothing) then buy it. If i want it bad enough (and of course i do) i'll get it.:D

Denise01
10-24-2005, 05:48 PM
When I go shopping i am mostly en-drab, while I am usually fully underdressed including a slip just in case I see a nice skirt or dress that i wish to try on.
I have never been refused to try on skirts. In fact, in one Lane Bryant store, asked the sales girl if a skirt fit large or small. She told me it could be returned, then i told her it was for me. She said "really" then told me i could try on anything i wished. She was very helpful as she had to go and get the next smaller size for me.
To-day i was in a ladies consignment store en-drab and picked out a couple of pair of ladies slacks i wanted to try on. Asked the sales lady if I could try them on, her answer, the change area is at the back of the store.
Felt so nice to be accepted and be able to try things on

Denise

Wendy me
10-24-2005, 05:58 PM
shopping is shopping if you go the only one that realy thinks anything of it is the one doing the shopping ...go have fun and enjoy it ...trust me no one realy cares if you got a cart full of girly things or not.....just do it.......

jessi girl
10-24-2005, 08:10 PM
ive always just gone either by myself , or i have a close girl/friend who goes w/me. she was a big help on me learning my sizeand i always go as a male. i some times shop by mail order catalogs or online. but when i go out, i generally go myself. at the counter. ah, i dont even think about what others are thinkin. im thinking," damn , should i have gotten two pair of these heels or..."

Zelgadis
10-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Since the only country in the world that has stores that sell the style of dress I want is Japan (maybe China, but doubtful) I can't just walk down to a mall and pick something up. I either order it online, or get someone to make it for me. I have a friend in the UK who is also in this style (though not as much as I) and she has made me a few dresses (actually, she'll be sending me one soon ^_^). But I have ordered one dress online from a store in Japan that ships to other places! Accessories are another matter. Some things I can get here (here being Canada), and others I can't. I went shopping with my sister a few months ago, I was in my normal clothing, since wearing my dress would have made me stand out (despite being in an Oriental themed mall, the style isn't... mainstream).

Sissy Jay
10-24-2005, 09:29 PM
GG's take so long to shop because they don't want to admit when they have went up a size or two. SO THERE! PPLLBBBB! HEEE HEEE

Deidra Cowen
10-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Most the time I shop enfemme since I am undercover and don't want anyone to reconize me....which they won't when I am dressed. ;)

However when in a jam and I don't have time I do go in drab. I went to the MAC store last week in drab. I was really nervous...it was wierd. But when I go enfemme I am not nervous anymore.

I've come to realize I'm going to be spotted as a CD (especially when I have to talk) but that does not bother me. I've used the dressing rooms at Lane Bryant and at the thrift store. But I've gotten really good at figuring out what fits me....and generally just buy stuff and skip the dressing room. Last three blouses and two pair of jeans fit fine when I got home.

suchacutie
10-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Being new to all this, my wife and I have only shopped online, not that we haven't window shopped live!

One step at a time.

tina

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Shopped online, en homme and en femme and not had any problems. No SO, so I do my shopping myself.

I've done mostly online shopping, since as a plus sized gal, there's not always stuff in stores that I like. (I can definitely understand the frustration of plus-sized GGs feel. :Pullhair: )

En homme, I was initially a bit nervous, but I realized that men buy SOs stuff all year long, so if I acted like I was doing something natural, so would other folks. The downside is that it's harder to try stuff on -- usually, I'll pick up some men's clothes first and take them with me into the women's department, then go back to the men's to try stuff on.

En femme, when I went to Macy's I just asked a salesclerk to start a room for me, which she did without a second thought. (She did go in ahead of me, so I don't know if she let the other shoppers know there was a tranny in the house, but regardless none of the other customers had a problem.) At Lane Bryant, they had individual rooms, so I just asked to try something one. Again no problems was treated like a lady, although I'm sure they knew I was a guy in a dress. 'Course I'm sure they assumed I was a sedately-dressed drag queen, so I was "safe."

andreaboots
10-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Last Friday my GG/SO and I went to a local Steinmart,(where she buys a lot of her cool clothes) to look for me,(Andreaboots) a nice black blouse and cami to go with my new white leather "jean" skirt. We found them and she found something for herself as well. We had the best time shopping for "Andrea"! The next day, Sat. I went shopping for make-up, panties and bras and went on a quest to find and purchase a "sensible" pair of boots so that I can wear out if the opportunity arrives. I went in drab of course but it still was a thrilling thing to do. I've shopped before but something was different this time. Since joining the forums and read what you all say I've become a lot more self assured. I just want to say thanks to all of you and as soon as I figure out how to post some pics I'll share a few with you. This forum is inc:thumbsup: redible and it's only getting better!!! Love all of you!!! Hope to meet some of you soon! Hugs and Kisses! XXXX

jessiemillard
10-25-2005, 01:38 AM
I just shop in drab, sometimes i get spooked especially when i have to wait, but the only time ive really had problems was when i was younger and i used to care what other people in the store thought.

ChrissyCrossedLegs
10-25-2005, 02:47 AM
To the UK ladies here..
"She even tells me whether the dress looks good on me or even helps me zip the dress up."

Can you all imagine going into an Oxfam or better still, Aged Concern dressed anyway, drab or fem, and asking some old dear to zip you up.. man it would the last you would see of me.. and the old dear for that matter.. dead on the spot.

Seeing as SammyJo has never been out during the day, I aint ever been shopping. Can't honestly see that ever changing to tell you the truth.. not unless I get my lazer treatment on the top lip sometime soon.
Hugs

RachelDenise
10-25-2005, 05:07 AM
I shop in drab but sometimes underdressed. Friday I went to Lane Bryant and shopped. I was looking for a pair of jeans and was helped by a young woman who was very nice. I knew my size but had some issues with length. She asked me how tall was my girlfriend but I told her the jeans were for me. She sort of gulped and took a deep breath but remained very professional. She treated me like any other customer and I ended up buying the jeans , a sweater, a bra and panty set. Not too bad. She was very helpful but I think she was more nervous than I was!!!!!:D

frilly1
10-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Unless you say something to that effect, there's no way for anybody to know the difference between a guy shopping for himself or a guy shopping for a gift for his wife/girlfriend. It's just in your head that everyone is looking at you and thinking you are a CD.

When I bought the pink suit in the avatar, the salesperson was only interested in getting me to sign up for the store's charge card to get the extra discount.

The only time I was teased by a clerk was when I bought some blush at the supermarket and it really was for my wife. I should have dead-panned "That's not my shade."

Billijo49504
10-25-2005, 12:09 PM
A lot of times when I dress in drab, I'm really en fem. A lot of times I have on my womens jeans a shirt from fashion bug and my loafer from Avenue w/ dark kneehis. Bra and panties under it all. Except for the wig and makeup, I'm dressed.

HaleyPink2000
10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Most retail stores don't care. They want your money like everyone else. So if a clerk gives you a hard time, they will most of the time loose their job because of it. If it does cause the retail store to loose a sale, they get upset with their people. Remember that they are there to get the dollar $. Not to cause you problems.

Haley:)

Kim E
10-25-2005, 08:53 PM
I do all my shopping alone and usually in guy mode. I always underdress and even wear footie stockings so if I spot some nice footwear I can slip them on. Usually try things on at the store unless I'm replacing something and already know the brand and size. I've bought scads of panties, bras, jeans, dresses, heels, jackets, tops, etc over the years. I have never had a problem or a bad experience. Cosmetics, jewelry and accessories I usually buy locally here in town. Bigest problem is the closest Walmart, K-Mart, Fashion Bug or high end mall stores are a 45 mile one way drive from me. With current gas prices I have to plan my trips well in advance.

Rachel Morley
10-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Do you go to the store dressed as a man, as a woman or with your spouse? Do you use the dressing room?

I do both, but most of the time when I go shopping I go with Marla.

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14827

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13344

HaleyPink2000
11-07-2005, 02:41 AM
I go dressed in drab. Male clothing! Hate it, but that is what I have been doing. I'd like to have my wife ask me to go en femme shopping with Her. That would be such fun. She only takes me in drab mode. But She does let me buy femme clothing while with her.

Haley:)

Jesse69
11-07-2005, 09:54 PM
I shop for everything dressed as a man. I can sneak and try on womens clothes at the thrift shops, but I never try on clothes at Dept stores or stores like Casual Corner. Since I buy mostly size 4 to 8 clothes they think I'm buying my clothes for a girlfirend or wife.

Staci
11-07-2005, 10:30 PM
I have shopped alone and with my wife. When we shop together it is clear that the items are not for her as she is smaller than me. Never had a question. As we are looking for clothes she will even say outloud things like - - this will look good on you.

byrony
11-07-2005, 10:31 PM
I pretty much go shopping only with female friends... I have only gone in drab at that... Although no one ever says anything to me, when en homme, I project an assured and confident demeanor, so I mean when I want to try on a skirt or whatever, I act the same I would as if I were trying on a pair of jeans, so I think just acting confident and not ashamed is what helps.

KatieZ
11-07-2005, 10:37 PM
I shop by myself. I have tried on dresses and skirts at goodwill but I haven't yet tried on any thing in a store. That is going to happen soon though. I do however try on shoes. I wear pantyhose under my jeans and no socks, so I can just slip off my shoe and try one on in the aisle. I know I have been seen a couple times but no one ever said anything about it. Lingerie and makeup shopping was a bit weird for me for awhile, but I need it so I get it and I don't really care anymore what anyone thinks. If asked I will tell them it is for me. If anyone has a problem with it, it is their problem. I got my own problems and crossdressing isn't one of them.

Hugs

Abby Lauren
11-08-2005, 01:44 AM
I've shopped en femme, en drab, online, by phone ( with an undisguised male voice) and in dept stores, chain stores (eg. Dress Barn, etc), CVS, and haven't had a problem. It's getting easier as i'm more comfortable with myself. It was much harder when I first started. I would get embarrassed at the drop of a hat.