PDA

View Full Version : What occupation generates the most CDers?

Beverley Sims
12-14-2011, 09:12 PM
There are a lot of gay people in the Arts and Television.
There seems to be a lot of IT and computer people in CD.
Has any one got a different opinion?

sometimes_miss
12-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Well, there are going to be more IT and computer people represented on any internet forum, simply because you have to be more computer knowledgeable to find these forums in the first place. Someone who picks up garbage and only uses his computer for email and facebook may not have the skills to search for, or even suspect that there are forums like these. Over half the people I work with don't even know that they can find all sorts of things with google, and they all have college degrees. Scary how stupid the general public is, sometimes.

Meg East
12-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Hey it is "the google". My guess we are in all occupations but some jobs require us to be deeper underground than others. Also, some communities lack diversity which tends to keep us more sheltered. How would you like to be a cd'ing cop in a small southern town?

MarcyHunter
12-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Gone cottin choppin.

ArleneRaquel
12-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I think Beverly is saying that people who are CD/TS/TG are drawn to certain types of occupations, not the other way around. Maybe is just that so many of " our community " are so intelligent & well read.

miaTX86
12-14-2011, 10:23 PM
British Comedy actors, probably.

Marissa333
12-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Female impersonators.

sometimes_miss
12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
I think Beverly is saying that people who are CD/TS/TG are drawn to certain types of occupations, not the other way around. Maybe is just that so many of " our community " are so intelligent & well read.

No, it's just that the stupid ones won't be able to get here.....or to any online obscure forums. To think that we're somehow smarter or better than any other group of folks, well, every group of people likes to believe that.

ArleneRaquel
12-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Very true sometimes. :)

miaTX86
12-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Female impersonators.
Still laughing, hahahaa.

Karren H
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Got to be coal miners like me? All that free eye liner!!

Beth Mays
12-14-2011, 11:17 PM
UPS ... we all wear the same thing.

Marissa333
12-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Still laughing, hahahaa.

Its about time one of my stupid comments made someone laugh :) thanks!

Melissa Rose
12-15-2011, 01:44 AM
This question or similar comment seems to pop in conversation from time to time. I have found the answer varies based on the exact group gathered (i.e., it changes). In any group, there are bound to be some commonalities which leads to loose correlations due to the small sample size relative to the total population. In the local transgender social group, there is a huge range of occupations and none that seem to dominate. Surprisingly, there is a number of truck drivers and heavy equipment operators. IMHO, crossdressing crosses all boundaries, and there is no strong correlation with occupation if everyone is sampled.

Vanessa Storrs
12-15-2011, 02:59 AM
10. Cashier in a convience store
9. Fashion designer
8. Disney World tour guide
7. Actor in British comedies
6. Palm Springs realtor
5. Television weatherman
4. Makeup artist
3. Office machine repairman
2. Walmart greeter

And the number one prefered job of crossdressers . . .
1. FBI Director

KimberlyJane
12-15-2011, 03:45 AM
In the support groups and social scene here in Minneapolis/St. Paul I find mostly professionals. I know CD/TV/TGs that are Doctors, Lawyers, Judges, Architects, Programmers, Engineers, IT, Landscapers, Artists, Performers, and truck drivers to name a few. I agree with Melissa, we are a fairly broad swath of folks..

LeaP
12-15-2011, 08:15 AM
9. Fashion designer
6. Palm Springs realtor
5. Television weatherman
4. Makeup artist
2. Walmart greeter

1. FBI Director

When I hit #1 I laughed out loud sitting by myself at Starbucks! Embarrassing!

Lea

Kelly DeWinter
12-15-2011, 08:20 AM
I'd also include professional forum poster !

jsmith9213
12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
well, for me, I was stealing my mother's panties @ 4 years old. But I was influenced by Betty Boop who was my fav cartoon. I work in IT now, but have been a chef, sales person, men's dept mgr, machinist, welder, painter, plumber and electrician, plus some things I've forgotten no doubt.

kerrianne
12-15-2011, 10:57 AM
As fore I'm self employed in corporate aviation. I go to work everyday wearing a dress,or a skirt and heels.the people that work for me are very supportive. Some of my employees are required to wear a skirt and heels(flight attendants) and I wouldn't ask anyone to do anything unless I wouldn't do it myself.

Cheryl T
12-15-2011, 11:23 AM
There are a lot of gay people in the Arts and Television.
There seems to be a lot of IT and computer people in CD.
Has any one got a different opinion?

Firstly, your title indicates that you believe a certain occupation causes someone to become a CD. Since so many of us started at a very young age (myself at 8) it would appear that your premise is false to begin with. If you mean do CD's gravitate to a certain occupation then I would again say no.
Yes, there are many gays in the arts and theater, but since many are still in the closet there is no way to determine with any accuracy what percentage hold a particular job. The same is true with CD's. We have no idea what the actual number of CD's in the U.S. or the world for that matter is and therefore we have no means to quantify those in a particular occupation with respect to the whole.
I know ladies who are in IT, but also many who are in other sectors that have nothing to do with any technical function.

Generalities are something that we as CD's must face and they usually don't make things easier for those who wish to leave the closet.

Dana7
12-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Lea

When I got to #1 I laughed out loud too!!! :heehee:

sometimes_miss
12-15-2011, 12:18 PM
For me it was my soda coming out my nose when I got to the end of post #15.

Tina B.
12-15-2011, 05:35 PM
I thought the most common jjob on this site was retired, that answer seems to come up a lot.
Tina B. Ex-trucker/bookkeeper.

SarahLynn
12-16-2011, 12:21 AM
"What occupation generates the most CDers?"

Since on average, the largest demigraphic groups represent about ten percent (10%) of the population, it is reasonable to suggest about ten percent (10%) of any profession could be represented here. Or are CD/TG/TS etc..

I would suggest that no occupation generates CDers, only that CDers are reresented in all occupations. Even the ones which for the most part one would least expect to find them. Such as the military, firemen/women, police officers, and other occupations labeled as "1st responders."

From what i've seen of this forum we have members from all occupations, all walks of life, all levels of economic situation, and even a few outsiders like myself.

Beverley Sims
12-16-2011, 03:50 AM
I wonder what Vanessa stores in that brane? of hers.....

"Vanessa," "YOU win the golden thong award and a lifetime of writing top 10s for whoever wants them.

Although I like to illicit tongue in cheek comments I do like the LEVELER type of replies,the ones of a serious note, Melissa, Kimberley, and Cheryl.
They give balance and credibility to a thread.
Marissa has reminded me of another thread I will start before my membership gets revoked...
Thanks for the diverse replies every one, keep it going.

gender_blender
12-16-2011, 08:05 AM
This has been my experience, but I'd expand it to include all Transgender and "Electrical/Computer engineering".

cdsara
12-16-2011, 02:42 PM
is it really 10% that are cd's??

ChrisP
12-16-2011, 03:01 PM
Babysitters.

That's who got me started.

jillleanne
12-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Well after reading all the posts here, I must say I am now totally confused over this which has kept me awake worrying for months. I always thought it was Motherhood.

Crysten
12-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Huh. Maybe re-phrasing the question would help: "What occupation are most CDers engaged in?" -- would be a more valid question. I don't think your job (whatever it is) will turn you into a crossdresser. But wouldn't that be something. "Tonight on Fox News - McDerpalds Corporation recognized as the number one company turning men into crossdressers in the U.S."

I can see the anchors on Fox News losing thier tiny little minds right now. =)

KarenS
12-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Lea

Don't forget a New York City Mayor ! I love it.

Launa
12-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Well sh_t. How did I wind up being a heavy construction dude and a oil rig roughneck? Something is not adding up. Next life it will be a hairdressing carrer!

Allisa
12-16-2011, 11:27 PM
The ones that employ glutons for punishment.

Beverley Sims
08-20-2013, 02:15 PM
I asked this question sometime back, I wonder if there are any changing opinions to the original answers.

AllieSF
08-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Without a doubt is the occupation of heterosexual relationships, whether being preoccupied with sex, a married or living together couple, and even those fun one night stands.

Kate Simmons
08-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Being a spy, a detective or being in Intel but maybe I'm a bit prejudiced. Who we are is based on a "need to know" in all of these professions but I digress...As Peter David used to say in Comics Buyers Guide.;):battingeyelashes::)

deborahtg42
08-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Estimates of around 5% of people are considered Transgendered although as Sara said above this could be as high as 10%

Karren H
08-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Definitely not coal miners like me... lol

kimdl93
08-20-2013, 09:01 PM
I would have guessed engineering based on what I've observed here. My observation was confirmed,by the transformation artist I visited last week. Her first question was ...Are you an engineer?

julie marie1
08-20-2013, 10:14 PM
Well, I am a college professor. How does that fit in?

LilSissyStevie
08-20-2013, 10:25 PM
These days I'm a chicken whisperer.

joanna marie
08-20-2013, 11:05 PM
retired biologist and teacher

Tina B.
08-21-2013, 10:10 AM
I think the most common profession I've noticed on here, is ex military. Seems to be a lot of us here!

ninadiva
08-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Construction side of engineering myself.

MissJoanne
08-21-2013, 12:00 PM
I would have guessed engineering based on what I've observed here. My observation was confirmed,by the transformation artist I visited last week. Her first question was ...Are you an engineer?

I can honestly answer 'Yes' on that one!

Allison Chaynes
08-21-2013, 12:45 PM
I would guess IT, but who knows?

RADER
08-21-2013, 12:56 PM
How about being a Carpenter, At least I got to wear an apron, and it was OK and legal.
Rader

linda allen
08-21-2013, 02:15 PM
I'm surprised to see so many IT people here as well as musicians, although I suspect most of the musicians aren't really professional musicians.

I don't think any occupation leads people towards crossdressing and I don't think crossdressing leads people towards a particular occupation.

natalialimapoa
08-21-2013, 02:32 PM
I am graphic designer and I hate math, so...

Amy07
08-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Reading the room...
Technical, Engineering, and computer/it things seem to be common.
So what
?

Lori B
08-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Diesel Mechanic...........rough on the nails and preferred scent is Ode #2:brolleyes::doh::heehee:

Fortuneta
08-21-2013, 05:34 PM
I sure agree with Cheryl T...I have been dressing since 8 years old. I am facinated with the stories read about occupations. We cover them ALL! I have retired from supervising both hourly and salaried people all my working years...many of both. I have worked long days and many without time off including weekends. My wife states I work hard and play even harder.
The stress of the day just dissappears when I dress and I relax both mentally and physically.
I am a engineer by trade and enjoy the "putting together" as much as the "tear-down". Late in my life I am wanting to know...how garters feel and work, walking in heels, make-up secrets, full slips/half slips, skirts vs dresses...simply utilizing engineering couriousity.

devida
08-21-2013, 06:42 PM
When I was 11 years old my parents asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said I wanted to be a poet. This was apparently the wrong answer because within months I was in British boarding school. My parents decided I should be a university professor but I decided to become an artist. I've made custom jewelry all my life, mostly sacred, magickal, metaphysical and spiritual symbols in gold and silver. I love what I do but I don't think it had any more to do with my genderqueerness than anything else. It was just something I was lucky enough to discover brought me joy and paid the bills. I suppose that's slightly better than being a poet, a job that only very very rarely pays pays for anything except a couple of drinks in a friendly pub.

NicoleScott
08-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Surgeons. Oh wait. That's the answer to "what occupation creates the most transsexuals".

Joni Thomas
08-21-2013, 07:50 PM
I retired 25 as a professional firefighter/paramedic!!!!!!!!!!!!

RebeccaLynne
08-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Surgeons. Oh wait. That's the answer to "what occupation creates the most transsexuals".

Nicole, that is definitely classic... witty beyond belief! ROTFLMAO! :thumbsup:

BLUE ORCHID
08-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Hi Bev, 40years in the heavy petroleum industry and licensed master electrician.

sometimes_miss
08-21-2013, 08:43 PM
We had this discussion on the alt.transgendered newsgroup back in the early nineties. Computer people, and smarter people in general are simply more likely to find internet sites like this. Dumbasses won't usually be found; and lots are so deep in the closet that they won't ever be found. I don't think any occupation is over represented among crossdressers.

flatlander_48
08-21-2013, 10:04 PM
I think this may have more to do with how we view ourselves. For example, if we were worried about having our masculinity challenged, we might choose more male-identified activities, hobbies and occupations. However, I think all this happens on a very subconscious level.

And for the record, 41st year as a mechanical engineer, but including side trips as a computer programmer, simulation analyst and a quality assurance analyst.

LaurenP
08-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Airline pilot. I have piloted 747's and 777's all over (literally) planet earth.

Christinedreamer
08-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Professional audio visual systems designer and presentation tech. In my career, we have provided AV gear and done thousands of medical seminars on every subject including CDing psychological aspects, transsexualism, SRS surgery, and conventions on make-up, hairstyling, fashion shows galore. We have done dozens of entertainment appearances with FIs and DQs. OUT and ABOUT conventions. Not to mention every technical convention and seminar imaginable.

My whole career started cause I was the geeky little kid who could run the projectors and sound systems in elementary school. It has served me well.

Amanda M
08-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Dustman. trainee accountant, soldier, sailor, Preventive Medicine Advisor, psychotherapist. I´ve got all the T-shirts - and probably a problem.

My take is that musicians, make the most CDs, from what I hear in the charts......

andrea lace
08-22-2013, 03:12 AM
a stay at home dad. Plenty of opportunitys to dress up

Jazzmine
08-22-2013, 03:22 AM
School Boys! ..... Well, since I started cross dressing well before puberty, my occupation then was "school boy".
And of course I was already a crossdresser well before I got into any career(s) and I can't remember any decisions being made just because I was a crossdresser.

AmyGaleRT
08-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Estimates of around 5% of people are considered Transgendered although as Sara said above this could be as high as 10%

I've heard this statistic bandied about, and I personally think 10% is wishful thinking, but 5% might actually be realistic.

Which leads me to some interesting thoughts. The company I work for has something around 400 employees (probably more by now, but let's keep it simple). Assume half are genetic men. Then apply the 5% statistic, and there should be a total of 10 men who identify as transgendered there. So now I wonder: Which of my male coworkers are actually one of my nine sisters? :)

- Amy

Sabrina133
08-22-2013, 06:00 AM
9. Fashion designer
6. Palm Springs realtor
5. Television weatherman
4. Makeup artist
2. Walmart greeter

1. FBI Director

1. FBI Director-------now thats funny

Tora
08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
In YEARS gone by, did some of us lean to a macho lifestyle, to validate a need to fit in. Seems a lot of Military, First Responders, Coal Miner. I am in my 60's and in a fairly macho profession, which would not be real open minded as far as co-workers. Years ago, there was this lonely feeling to this "hobby".