PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow Will Be My First Time Out Alone

AKADonna
12-15-2011, 08:52 PM
I've been invited to a CD Christmas party tomorrow evening in a city 120 miles away. I will be dressing at home, driving to the party and making my grand entrance. I will only know one person there, so I'm sure I'll be introduced around. Since I'm 67 years old and quite large of frame, it probably doesn't matter much what I wear, I will likely stand out pretty much.

Since the others there will, for the most part, be CD'ers, I would expect them to be cordial and accepting of me. I went out tonight and fueled the car en drab just so I won't have to stop on my way to refuel en femme! I purchased a new black dress at Lane Bryant, new shoes, new wig, etc , but I have never done all of my makeup, hair, accessorizing, etc by myself before. I've been practicing my makeup each morning for a week now and I'm getting better at it each day!

I guess the good news is that, since I will be driving a couple of hours away from home, I am not likely to bump into anybody not in the scene who might recognize me and 'bust' me. I am probably over thinking the whole situation and worrying unnecessarily about details, but I want the experience to be so good that I am trying, as best I can, to cover all the bases.

Does any body have any advice, concerns or criticism for me? Please respond as, anything will be helpful and give me the strength to go through with it!

Debglam
12-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Wow Donna! That is terrific!

Here are a few random thoughts: Don't worry about the event itself, how you look, etc. You will find that your sisters are going to be very friendly and welcoming! The girls I've met are some of the nicest people I know, trans or not. I'm betting you will make some good friends!

The trip there. Bring a "boy bag" with you. Some sweats or other guy clothes that you can cover up with in case you have car trouble, gloves if you are going to have your nails done, and makeup remover wipes. Eventually you will reach a point where you won't care but at the beginning it is a good idea. Having the car gassed up is a good idea, a charged cell phone, and some cash.

Running into someone you know. I gotta say that there are girls that I've met, gotten to know, and then saw in guy mode. I wouldn't have recognized them unless they told me who they were! It has been talked about on the forum before but people are have a really hard time placing people out of context. Your best friend probably wouldn't be able to recognize you!

Have a great time! You will be fine!

Hugs,
Debby

MarcyHunter
12-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Gone cottin choppin.

AKADonna
12-15-2011, 09:20 PM
The 'boy bag is a great idea as are the gloves. I'm having my nails done in the morning and they will likely be difficult to hide without gloves. Makeup remover wipes are something else I had not considered. Thanks so much for the great advice!

RenneB
12-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Well since you don't want to be pulled over, remove anything hanging down from your mirror. It's called a vision obstruction and they can pull you over for that. Also, check the lights on your car. Back up to a building with a glass window and looking out your rearview mirror check the brake lights and backup lights. Make sure you have enough gas, cell phone, and a bag of excuses if you get biffed backing out of the driveway.... LOL..

Just because everyone is looking at me doesn't make me paranoid does it? ROTFL CGU (rolling on the floor laughing - can't get up).

Or you can just have a blast...

Renne.....

Cynthia Anne
12-15-2011, 09:40 PM
I think Debby has given' you some great advice! I would say listen to some music on the way to keep you company and don't worry!v You are going to be just fine! MAIN THING IS TO HAVE FUN! buckle up! Hugs!

CarlaWestin
12-15-2011, 09:51 PM
All great advice above. Go and have a good time but, please, be very careful on the road and drive sober.
http://www.christmas-graphics-plus.com/animated-christmas/lights06.gif

cindy777
12-15-2011, 10:33 PM
That sounds like a very exciting time, have fun and drive carefully.

Hope you have a great experience and meet lots of new friends.

Cindy

Niya W
12-15-2011, 10:57 PM
I use to do a 112 mile drive(one way) when I went to a gems event. I always had boy bag like Debbie said. In addition I would carry a towel , hat . I would have to get gas. I would stop only at a well lit place right off the free way. Make sure you have map of were you are going and that you cell phone is charged and have a car charger.

Rachel Morley
12-16-2011, 12:05 AM
I just want to endorse to what others have said, in particular I agree with Niya and Debbie. On your first long drive en femme there is no point in taking any risks or pushing the envelope. I myself don't usually carry a boy bag anymore but I used to in the beginning and occationally still do, it is a very good contingency plan anyway, especially the makeup remover wipes and gloves. Your phone charged up, air in your tires, a full gas tank, all good pieces of advice. The only other thing I would say is have your AAA or "road rescue" service emergency phone number close to hand and above all, wear something that makes you feel pretty, happy and confident. :)

Tara Bordeaux
12-16-2011, 12:11 AM
I am curious as to all the concerns about being pulled over, I am closeted, but in today's society "this Thing of Ours" is not at all rare.
Why the concerns with the police? We're not doing anything illegal, if you get pulled over for a speeding ticket or whatever, I just don't understand the concern??

That said, I'll never forget my first time out in public. Scared out of my wits at heading out the door, but once I arrived at a TS/CD/TG/Gay club and hung out with some other girls, I felt very relaxed
and had a great time! I say go for it!

I did use the "boy bag" concept at first to get from my home and out of the neighbor's line of sight. Sweats over my skirt, stockings and slippers that temporarily replaced my
HH boots. Once I got down the road I pulled into the first mini-mart along the way, got rid of the drab wear, donned my hot boots, and headed into the mkt for a pack of cigarettes
and a bottle of water. It was exciting and invigorating. To my surprise nobody really even blatted an eye at me, I just went about my business.

Niya W
12-16-2011, 12:14 AM
I've been pulled over before with out issue. As long as you DL is valid, Valid insurance and registration you should bve good to go.

kimdl93
12-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Relax and enjoy yourself. And drive carefully.

HannahF6
12-16-2011, 10:45 AM
I agree most of the above, but one thing is way more important than any of the others. Don't drive while impaired. I've been stopped by police while en femme and so surprised that it was nothing, they only care if you are driving legally and it is not illegal to wear a dress. But if you are pulled over for drunk driving while en femme, it will be open season. So drive SAFE.

Hannah

Kaz
12-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I am sure you will have a great time! Good advice given that I would agree with. It is about thinking through what could go wrong for you getting there and back and being prepared. While you are there, you are one of them! So relax!

Be sure to tell us how it went!

Jorja
12-16-2011, 11:05 AM
Take a deep breath and relax. As mentioned, at the event you will be welcomed no matter what. You will be among friends. Other than what has already been mentioned, if alcohol will be ingested, locate a hotel for the night. Better to be safe and not sorry. Being the holidays the police will be out looking for drunk drivers. A guy in a dress does not feel very comfortable in male lockup.

Have fun!!!